What springer did you shoot today?

It was a testing out new scopes mounts and getting zeros day. Also testing a shooting stick modified from hiking poles.

Shot my two German air guns. The RWS54 was shooting too low so I replaced with a base that had “10 inch” of elevation build in. Bottom line, it got me inside the bull at 10 yards, but with less than two clicks left on the scope. If another weight or style of pellets shoots lower, I will have no adjustments left to make.

I also shot my HW30. I had that gun for nearly 4 decades and failed to realize how really nice it is as a shooter. This realization came after having to muscle that beast RWS. It is work shooting that thing. After getting a zero, and figuring what pellets it likes, I put that thing aside.

In stark contrast, the Weihrauch handles easily and fits my shooting positions well. It was enjoyable testing different pellets and validating zeros with the HW30. I also did a bit of plinking to use up my old pellets. Fun hitting pebbles and various garden trash in my wife’s flower bed.

I will post a write up on what a PITA it was to get that 54 to shoot…

Lastly, shot a piston pump handgun. That gun is almost as vintage as my Weihrauch. It is my Daisy 717. I had used it to train for bullseye competition. It had iron sights and I used it to practice for Service Pistol matches. Distinguished now so I got a dot sight on it. Shooting it again after many years being in storage, I discovered it is now key holeing at the ten yard target… Will post findings in the pistol section.

Enjoy you time on the range everyone.

View attachment 358811
Isn’t that anHw35. My Diana 48 is heavy thing

Reactions: MOSOSODBOB
It was a testing out new scopes mounts and getting zeros day. Also testing a shooting stick modified from hiking poles.

Shot my two German air guns. The RWS54 was shooting too low so I replaced with a base that had “10 inch” of elevation build in. Bottom line, it got me inside the bull at 10 yards, but with less than two clicks left on the scope. If another weight or style of pellets shoots lower, I will have no adjustments left to make.

I also shot my HW30. I had that gun for nearly 4 decades and failed to realize how really nice it is as a shooter. This realization came after having to muscle that beast RWS. It is work shooting that thing. After getting a zero, and figuring what pellets it likes, I put that thing aside.

In stark contrast, the Weihrauch handles easily and fits my shooting positions well. It was enjoyable testing different pellets and validating zeros with the HW30. I also did a bit of plinking to use up my old pellets. Fun hitting pebbles and various garden trash in my wife’s flower bed.

Lastly, shot a piston pump handgun. That gun is almost as vintage as my Weihrauch. It is my Daisy 717. I had used it to train for bullseye competition. It had iron sights and I used it to practice for Service Pistol matches. Distinguished now so I got a dot sight on it. Shooting it again after many years being in storage, I discovered it is now key holeing at the ten yard target… Will post findings in the pistol section.

View attachment 358811
Beautiful guns. But, that D54 SHOULD be shooting low at 10 yards. I’m assuming it’s full power based on your description of how hard it is to cock. If it is then you’re going to be high at 20 and probably even a little higher at 25. Depending on pellet it’s probably going to hit its apex around 30 yards. Wasn’t designed to be a 10M gun LOL. If you’re going to shoot 10M with it then by all mean zero it there. If not, I’d shoot for zero at around 30 yards and most everything else should be a holdover.

Beautiful guns. But, that D54 SHOULD be shooting low at 10 yards. I’m assuming it’s full power based on your description of how hard it is to cock. If it is then you’re going to be high at 20 and probably even a little higher at 25. Depending on pellet it’s probably going to hit its apex around 30 yards. Wasn’t designed to be a 10M gun LOL. If you’re going to shoot 10M with it then by all mean zero it there. If not, I’d shoot for zero at around 30 yards and most everything else should be a holdover.
Good point. Thanks. I had previously shot at 10 meters and then shot at 20 yards and it was approximately 2-3 inches high. Best I can do safely in my wife’s garden is 20 yards… will go to the range this Thursday and shoot off a good bench and at known further distances… will also have an assortment of heavier pellets by then to try as well… been shooting 7.4gr leftovers from my pistol. Again, thanks for this experienced insight…

Reactions: crowski
I like my 97 and TX . both equal in my shooting sorry not a good photo
alternating rifles . View attachment 358667
Awesome shooting. Crow
J this afternoon HW97k177 shooting AA8.44 4.52 head at 100 yards 10 shoots at each target. The small one is ether 21/2 or 23/4 Somewhere there is a picture on this forum. Of it. I shot the bottom one first Had a vary lite breeze from left to right. That is fun. Repainted going to get hW90. Will repost There is a hit in the blue. I didn’t repaint it ( didn’t have any more blue) View attachment 358756View attachment 358757View attachment 358760View attachment 358759View attachment 358758View attachment 358762
Decent shooting. I cane get 100 yds. with work. In winter no problem on lake. Crow
The HW90 22. 16 gr AA. 100yards. Bottom target first. Thought I needed a 4 mill dot hold over. 😬 corrected on top target 10 shoots at each target. I know I know 100 Yd is for fun. Only needed 2 mill dots 🤣🤣🤣🤣View attachment 358782View attachment 358783View attachment 358777
Kickass gun. Nice shooting. Crow
Today I shot a XS19 branded Diana 250 MM tuned .22

View attachment 358813

And also the first. .25 I ever bought, guessing seven years ago. And for a cheap entry level springer it has alway shot very nicely. Best 50 buck I've ever spent. My Hatsan edge spring .25

10 shots at 40 yards off hand. I missed the first shot a tad high. The gun has always liked H&N Field Target Trophy Pellets 20.06 grain.

View attachment 358814
Nice. Great shooting. I like the 25 cal. Springer. Crow

Reactions: Frogy

View attachment 358811
Awesome guns. I like your 30. Crow

Took a Varmint .22 and a R9 .20. The LGU is such a treat to shoot.
IMG_5682.jpeg
I really value this gun. Treat to shoot. Nice in line a R9
IMG_5684.jpeg
With an extended scope hoodI put on last nite. Have a 95 .20 coming soon. Crow

Reactions: Frogy and cjtamu
Good point. Thanks. I had previously shot at 10 meters and then shot at 20 yards and it was approximately 2-3 inches high. Best I can do safely in my wife’s garden is 20 yards… will go to the range this Thursday and shoot off a good bench and at known further distances… will also have an assortment of heavier pellets by then to try as well… been shooting 7.4gr leftovers from my pistol. Again, thanks for this experienced insight…
Hoo, boy! A properly functioning full power D48/52/54/56 is going to launch those north of 1,000 FPS and accuracy will suffer. Try the JSB Exact 10.34 grain or FTT Barracuda Match 10.65 grain. 4.52 head size. That gun will almost certainly like one, possibly both. You’ll still be probably 860-880 FPS so it will shoot plenty flat but should be more stable down range. Guessing shot cycle will improve too. If you really want to start to understand the platform and get the most out of it find the articles on the 54/56 by Nitrocrushr. Really helped me a lot. Get it adjusted to your liking and it will be a joy to shoot. From a bench anyway ha ha ha.

Hoo, boy! A properly functioning full power D48/52/54/56 is going to launch those north of 1,000 FPS and accuracy will suffer. Try the JSB Exact 10.34 grain or FTT Barracuda Match 10.65 grain. 4.52 head size. That gun will almost certainly like one, possibly both. You’ll still be probably 860-880 FPS so it will shoot plenty flat but should be more stable down range. Guessing shot cycle will improve too. If you really want to start to understand the platform and get the most out of it find the articles on the 54/56 by Nitrocrushr. Really helped me a lot. Get it adjusted to your liking and it will be a joy to shoot. From a bench anyway ha ha ha.
I got several tins of 10gr plus coming in… I had it chrono with some JSB 10gr something and was up there in the 900s… for sure got a workout cocking that thing… finished the day shooting some HN Barracuda FTT heavies and left my zero at 10 yards with that pellet… should I expect massive down adjustments at 25 yards? I went over 30 MOA of ups from center with my Vortex 6-24X Diamondback… went with the lower end scope due to the higher end ones will not focus down past 25 yards… but this scope don’t have the range of adjustments like my other scopes. Have a 34mm tube Vortex 3-18 Strike Eagle coming back from repair tomorrow… may try that scope on this beast after my first FT natch this weekend… need to get experienced at the game and get some lessons learned

Welcome. I think the parachute seal costs a little power but not much. Certainly feels good shooting.

Thank you. I was lucky to stumble on this one in the Classifieds. I like the old skool look with the checkered walnut also. I assume you know any grips made for Colt 1911 should fit the HW45. Exception is the Silver Star et al editions. Those have target grips and use a different frame. So, those grips wont fit the standard HW45 and they don’t take standard 1911 grips.

The stock on that 77 is gorgeous. Who made that?
Its just the old standard stock with an aftermarket cheekpiece cut into it.

It’s just the old standard stock with an aftermarket cheekpiece cut into it.
Boy. They save all the good furniture for Europe don’t they?! Bought a 97K long barrel few months back. Their flagship gun. Fugly, fugly, stock. Gun shoots so well I can’t bring myself to replace it though ha ha ha.
I got several tins of 10gr plus coming in… I had it chrono with some JSB 10gr something and was up there in the 900s… for sure got a workout cocking that thing… finished the day shooting some HN Barracuda FTT heavies and left my zero at 10 yards with that pellet… should I expect massive down adjustments at 25 yards? I went over 30 MOA of ups from center with my Vortex 6-24X Diamondback… went with the lower end scope due to the higher end ones will not focus down past 25 yards… but this scope don’t have the range of adjustments like my other scopes. Have a 34mm tube Vortex 3-18 Strike Eagle coming back from repair tomorrow… may try that scope on this beast after my first FT natch this weekend… need to get experienced at the game and get some lessons learned
You don’t want to run the scope with reticle that far off center. Will kill it no matter how good it is. Simply put, that gun isn’t meant to be zeroed at 10 yards. Zero at 30 or so and use your references on reticle for hold over/under. Highly recommend Hector Medina’s Accurized ZR mount. Stops scope killing and works beautifully. Have it on my Diana 52 and 56T/H both. You’ll have to check with Hector to see what he has. I believe the stock ZR mounts that he tunes were getting a little scarce, but maybe that container ship has made land now or whatever it is that causes all this nonsense ha ha. Don’t think they make one for 34mm tube, but Hector might be able to help you there as well.

F54EAE7A-9350-4FFD-84B3-F0B4DDF2F043.jpeg

I was finishing off a card that I started the other day shooting my HW77 Long at the card 20 yards 5 shots per bull rested. The rest is anything but soft. Crushed walnut shells packed down hard. I was using open sights ine the form of a Diopter and a circle forsight. Clear plastic with the circle outlined in black.
640DB416-D676-4A9A-BFF6-D7BE1750C47C.jpeg
CE37B4EC-FC66-4C82-802F-29337AF303AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the HW97K. 177 was this evenings Choice. Well the HW50s did get some attention. The 97 pellet of choice is the air arm 8.44 gr . But I’m down to 3/4 tin ☹️. So I set out a cardboard at 20 yards. I Go get the box of pellets So I shot a Control just 3 shots air arm8.44 (Raged hole) I shot.all my pellets A 3 or 5 shot group. ( sorry no pictures ) at the end I was shooting at pellet holes What did I learn it will NOT shoot crosmans an I have 4 different kinds of them ☹️ But it will shot a JSB10.34gr the same as a AA8.44 . I shot those 10.34 2 different groups 😃 I shot the steels out to 50 yards same hold an hold over as the 8.44 AA 🤔🤔 In the picture the 3 with the gun it really liked. The ones on the table. I could make do. The ones in the toolbox. did not make the grade An I’m out of the HN Baracuda Hunter Extreme 9.57 the Diana likes them I bet the 97 would also I got this out because you paper shooters have me curious 😃😃 not sure my scope is up to the task 😬 of that precision shooting . Is that normal that it will shoot the 8.44 And 10.34 the same View attachment 358569View attachment 358564View attachment 358565View attachment 358566View attachment 358567
I shot my 34 today. 8.44 and 10.34. At 35 yds. The 10.34 dropped 2 inches. No pic raining with mud. I like the JSB 10.34. Crow