N/A What sub $1000 .22 should I buy?

I am looking for a PCP .22 that I can shoot at targets (or the occasional tree rat that is chewing up my garden).

Here are my loose criteria:

1) ~$1000 budget for just the rifle, but will not be disappointed if I spend less.
2) A magazine--a side lever would be fine, but I do not want to single load every shot.
3) A regulator.
4) A decent sized tank--I do not want to be constantly refilling the tank.
5) Looks--I prefer traditional designs over bullpup. I don't mind synthetic stocks, but I do not like ones that feel too lightweight.
6) Reasonable accuracy. I have traditional firearms that I shoot when I am at the ranch so I am not particularly interested in 100 yard+ accuracy. I think I will be satisfied with an inch or so at 50 yards.
7) Relatively quiet--it needs to have or be set up to accept a moderator.
8) I am open to used rifles, but I have no prior experience to guide my evaluation of used guns.
9) I would like to keep it sub 8 pounds sans optic--the lighter the better.

Googling around, it seems like the Avenge-X with a wood stock and the larger tank, may fit the bill. Also, the DRS and Dreamline look interesting.

I welcome your input.

Reactions: drpietrzak
I am looking for a PCP .22 that I can shoot at targets (or the occasional tree rat that is chewing up my garden).

1) ~$1000 budget for just the rifle, but will not be disappointed if I spend less.
2) A magazine--a side lever would be fine, but I do not want to single load every shot.
3) A regulator.
5) Looks--I prefer traditional designs over bullpup. I don't mind synthetic stocks, but I do not like ones that feel too lightweight.
6) Reasonable accuracy. I have traditional firearms that I shoot when I am at the ranch so I am not particularly interested in 100 yard+ accuracy. I think I will be satisfied with an inch or so at 50 yards.
8) I am open to used rifles, but I have no prior experience to guide my evaluation of used guns.

Googling around, it seems like the Avenge-X with a wood stock and the larger tank, may fit the bill. Also, the DRS and Dreamline look interesting.

I welcome your input.
Might not fit all your requirements but the Aea challenger pro is fantastic for the money. Also Benjamin Kratos. Traditional wood stock quiet and super accurate. It’s made by Kral.
You can put a bigger bottle on both.

Last edited:

3) A regulator.

I welcome your input.
Have u looked @ Macavity?

I’ll second the Marauder in regulated form.

If you’re willing to consider a bullpup even a little bit, the Taipan Veteran Gen1 is a bombproof design with a phenomenal trigger. I recently got one in .25 and it’s a solid rifle! You rarely see anyone say anything bad about them, they’re just dependable, accurate rifles.

Aside from that, the new Macavity rifles look decent per the specs, but being new means nobody can vouch for them yet.

Reactions: Dairyboy

3) A regulator.

I welcome your input.
A used Daystate Revere will fill your needs nicely. Or a used Brocock Commander. Neither come up for sale that often as they are so good. Your weight requirement is conflicted, you want sub 8 lbs but don't want it to feel light; almost not realistic unless you go to a Crosman HFT challenger which will fit the bill, esp if you have @Airgun-Revisions tune it for you.

Another vote for the Marauder. .22 Lothar Walther regulated rifle. Side lever cocking is over rated. 😀

Plenty of funds left over for optics.

Krale has the hatsan novastar for sale, it's a proven and powerful platform. The new version of them are called Neutron star.

Rather than buy a new sub $1000 gun, why not buy a used upper tier rifle? I've seen some AA 510s, Daystate Reveres or Huntsmen, FX Dreamlines and others for less than $1000. If you insist on new, then look at the BSA R10 that AOA has on special.
I saw a few weihrauch hw110 for about 1050, are those good?

Reactions: mb94952