N/A What sub $1000 .22 should I buy?

If you're a tinkerer.

NOTOS. NOTOS NOTOS NOTOS

notos, Huben Cricket drop block/reg, port the valve block, the tp, polish the bolt path and hammer channel, toss on a 300+cc tank, FX barrel kit, plenum. The gun is my current baby. For 269. You get a regulated, super accurate .22. But are limited to about 730fps with 15.9 bone stock. Plenum gets you to 760fps, porting to 810 (at stock settings). Messing with regulator pressures and HS tensions can get you to 865 with the 500mm barrel or in the 840 neighborhood with the 380mm
How much does all that cost?

Under 1000
Notos 269
Tank 109$
Huben Cricket drop 95
Port free
Plenum kit 65
FX barrel kit with liner 239

This weekend I took my limit on grey squirrels in a 4 hour Sunday morning hunt. Distances from 36- 83 yards. Not ONE missed shot. The thing is a tack driver at all distances with JSB jumbo exacts or JTS 16 dead centers and NSA 17.5 .218 slugs. I opted for the easily obtained quickly super well drop block (45 on Amazon). Threaded it deeper and took a tiny bit off the back with a honing block (400-6000 grit) and bought the $60 Huben inline adjustable regulator. Love it
IMG_20240820_195059154_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: daddypaddy
If you go my route. Which will take less time. The huben adjustable block/reg is 95 but takes 3-6 weeks to arrive unless you find it in stock at air archery fun or elsewhere.

Amazon
It's listed as "Aopkeo adjustable regulator" the silver pinless one, for 60 bucks is in fact the Huben Cricket Inline tank reg. Fully adjustable. The alsafe 500cc tank was 109, the discoveryoptic LHD FFP moa 4-16x44 was 180 (yes these scopes kick ass I've traded off vortexes for them) and used the extra 200 for better uses. The FX barrel kit is 130 from c88 machinist on eBay... The liner for 110 from trenier outdoors or Southern Precision Air Weapons, I ported, I polished, I used a 35mm picatinny ring mount around the regulator stem to mount a bipod and the Buckrail moderator shuts the bark up better than any donny or fox or impulse did. The plenum isn't on as I'm currently waiting for a little machining to get done to clock the drop block perfect. Without the plenum I'm at 821 fps, but I've brought back the hammer for accuracy sake to 810fps with 15.9 JSB and JTS 16s. The 17.5 gr slugs at 750 and 18 jsbs at 740

270 gun
110 tank
50 block
230 barrel kit
60 reg
45 bipod
40 mod
170 scope
-----------------
975 for completely as is total package.

Last edited:
If you go my route. Which will take less time. The huben adjustable block/reg is 95 but takes 3-6 weeks to arrive unless you find it in stock at air archery fun or elsewhere.

Amazon
It's listed as "Aopkeo adjustable regulator" the silver pinless one, for 60 bucks is in fact the Huben Cricket Inline tank reg. Fully adjustable. The alsafe 500cc tank was 109, the discoveryoptic LHD FFP moa 4-16x44 was 180 (yes these scopes kick ass I've traded off vortexes for them) and used the extra 200 for better uses. The FX barrel kit is 130 from c88 machinist on eBay... The liner for 110 from trenier outdoors or Southern Precision Air Weapons, I ported, I polished, I used a 35mm picatinny ring mount around the regulator stem to mount a bipod and the Buckrail moderator shuts the bark up better than any donny or fox or impulse did. The plenum isn't on as I'm currently waiting for a little machining to get done to clock the drop block perfect. Without the plenum I'm at 821 fps, but I've brought back the hammer for accuracy sake to 810fps with 15.9 JSB and JTS 16s. The 17.5 gr slugs at 750 and 18 jsbs at 740

270 gun
110 tank
50 block
230 barrel kit
60 reg
45 bipod
40 mod
170 scope
-----------------
975 for completely as is total package.
What is the gross curb weight of that rig?

They are AWESOME. I forgot what trigger people prefer though between the HW110 and HW100.

From Google :
The 110 is great in its own right but is inferior to the 100 in all respects apart from being a bit lighter and more compact. Both have same shot count and accuracy - the 100 has a far superior magazine and better overall build. Have a look at the new limited edition grey laminate 100KT.
The 1 thing that keeps me from getting a 100 is the lack of a pic rail on top.I'm sick of playing with dovetails & despise them actually. Even the one on my Raw bm500x. the 110 did it right when getting rid of the dovetail system IMO. I do suspect everything else on the 100 is awesome as HW is quality.

Reactions: Dairyboy
First, thank you for the tremendous outpouring of advice. Not sure if anyone wants feedback, but here is some anyway.

• Marauder: I was very interested in the regulated one with the LW barrel, but the more I have thought about it, I think my kids (10 and younger) will be shooting with me. I am concerned the size and weight of the Marauder will preclude any offhand shooting. The weight issue precluded several options that I may have otherwise considered: Hatsan NovaStar; Weihrauch HW110; Gauntlet 2.
  • Macavity: Seemingly lots to like, but it is unproven. If there is an issue, I won’t know if it is me or the rifle. I will let other be the guinea pigs.
  • Taipan: De gustibus non est disputandum but to my taste it is ugly.
  • Notos: I love to tinker. I think this is in my future. I could also see getting them for my boys and upgrading them piece by piece as a project.
Still in the running:
  • Stoeger XM1
  • Used Daystate Revere Regulated.
  • Used FX Dreamline
  • Used FX DRS.
  • Used Katran
  • Other ideas?

Either that or the Hatsan Blitz.
No hatsan.. trust me.

Regulated or nothing
If you're gonna get an mrod buy the huma reg for it. Notos, Avenger, zelos, macavity, or airacuda max... I've never seen anyone enjoy a hatsan for long. The novelty of the full auto is very short lived. Hatsans that I've seen never hold for long or perform great.
I'm partial to the notos . But I understand that having to do some tinkering to get the same power as airacuda max or avenger can be annoying. Marauders can absolutely be great... But adding a reg just makes it that much better. Not having to learn the shot cycle and power curve is. A blessing. No changing impact points thru the pressure curve... Just same shot after shot until you're below regulator pressure. Regulated is just such a must.

Reactions: Dairyboy
No hatsan.. trust me.

Regulated or nothing
If you're gonna get an mrod buy the huma reg for it. Notos, Avenger, zelos, macavity, or airacuda max... I've never seen anyone enjoy a hatsan for long. The novelty of the full auto is very short lived. Hatsans that I've seen never hold for long or perform great.
I'm partial to the notos . But I understand that having to do some tinkering to get the same power as airacuda max or avenger can be annoying. Marauders can absolutely be great... But adding a reg just makes it that much better. Not having to learn the shot cycle and power curve is. A blessing. No changing impact points thru the pressure curve... Just same shot after shot until you're below regulator pressure. Regulated is just such a must.
I was joking in response to the Gamo Swarm recommendation.

Notos 269
Tank 109$
Huben Cricket drop 95
Port free
Plenum kit 65
FX barrel kit with liner 239

This weekend I took my limit on grey squirrels in a 4 hour Sunday morning hunt. Distances from 36- 83 yards. Not ONE missed shot. The thing is a tack driver at all distances with JSB jumbo exacts or JTS 16 dead centers and NSA 17.5 .218 slugs. I opted for the easily obtained quickly super well drop block (45 on Amazon). Threaded it deeper and took a tiny bit off the back with a honing block (400-6000 grit) and bought the $60 Huben inline adjustable regulator. Love it
View attachment 491551
wow, that thing is nicely done! looks like it’s got a really good balance.

First, thank you for the tremendous outpouring of advice. Not sure if anyone wants feedback, but here is some anyway.

• Marauder: I was very interested in the regulated one with the LW barrel, but the more I have thought about it, I think my kids (10 and younger) will be shooting with me. I am concerned the size and weight of the Marauder will preclude any offhand shooting. The weight issue precluded several options that I may have otherwise considered: Hatsan NovaStar; Weihrauch HW110; Gauntlet 2.
  • Macavity: Seemingly lots to like, but it is unproven. If there is an issue, I won’t know if it is me or the rifle. I will let other be the guinea pigs.
  • Taipan: De gustibus non est disputandum but to my taste it is ugly.
  • Notos: I love to tinker. I think this is in my future. I could also see getting them for my boys and upgrading them piece by piece as a project.
Still in the running:
  • Stoeger XM1
  • Used Daystate Revere Regulated.
  • Used FX Dreamline
  • Used FX DRS.
  • Used Katran
  • Other ideas?
if you’re concerned about weight and adjustability for your kids.. notos is the way to go with this. you can get two or three and still have some cash to get the basic upgrades for one of the guns

So I have decided to buy a used FX Dreamline. Now I am on the hunt for a compressor. The compressor forum seems to have fewer eyeballs, but if anyone wants to provide input, my questions about compressors are HERE.
could’ve got a single notos that both you and your kids can shoot and have the money for a nice compressor

Reactions: Florida_Man
could’ve got a single notos that both you and your kids can shoot and have the money for a nice compressor
Yes. But, the dreamline is an excellent gun.. I don't ever have to think about mine. It's just F**king solid. The only upgrade truly needed is a the $25 plenum. If he has a post sept 2021 model he's in good shape. The gun isn't weak. It's extremely accurate and consistent, the weight and balance are fantastic, and for $300 you can essentially have a new gun.

I bought a post 21 dream tac .25 with 600mm superior. Eventually found a tune that offers me 6 magazines of shooting before I refill at 150-160 BAR depending on temperature. (500cc bottle from 250BAR).

Benelli let me make. A suggestion, find a sweet spot on the upper half of the .22 reg pressure curve. I found that my gun can launch 25.4gr 25s at over 900 at low reg settings 98-103 bar, but I find it uses considerably more air due to the extended dwell in that pressure range even at lower Hammer spring tension setting

My true sweet spot was 122-127 bar. I am shooting right now 887.9-891.3 through the entire fill cycle. My extremes the last time I tested (this Sunday) were one shot at 878.2 (the resting 1st shot of the session) and 894. An SD of 2.4fps. this is 1.5 caliber width groups at 30y and half inch at 55y. . With the 230bar 290cc tube I got 32 shots before I needed to fill at 150 with the 100bar 915fps tune. After experimenting I got 38 shots per fill at 895fps/100bar.. after A LOT of experience and experimenting I realized, higher pressure, less hammer instead of the inverse. And when I say "less'. I mean finding the middle or lower end of appropriate hammer spring tension range for a given regulator pressure. At 122-127 range I'm at 890fps with a 2.4sd and 16fps extreme spread getting 48 shots on a tube. After converting to a bottle, this is now at nearly 100 shots with a .25 at respectable energy.

If you're going to be shooting slugs and want to whack the ever loving bejesus out of your prey, Max transfer port or "25/30" depending on the transfer port wheel you have. under 22gr id use the medium/22 setting. If over use max/25-30. Tune to one projectile and stick with it. Theoretically if you find a good setting to shoot jsb 25.39s at 860-910 you should be able to just flip from "MAX/25-30" To .22 or Medium on the TP and be shooting In the proper neighborhood with 18.13s.

Or you could set to medium and tune 15.9s to 900 and produce respectable energy and get a hell of a shot count

Last edited:
So I have decided to buy a used FX Dreamline. Now I am on the hunt for a compressor. The compressor forum seems to have fewer eyeballs, but if anyone wants to provide input, my questions about compressors are HERE.
I took the leap of faith and bought a $200 Amazon Spritech compressor. I've over 50 hours and it still fills like a champ. I've had ZERO issues. It works very well

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Spritech PCP Air Compressor,Auto-shutoff 4500Psi/30Mpa Oil/Water-Free Set-pressure Air Gun and Paintball Tank Pump with Water/Oil Separator,Built-in Power Adapter(110V AC or 12V Car Battery) https://a.co/d/6qze3oC