FX What type of seal do Dreamline Classics use on cylinder air gauge?

According to the parts list I have, it's a small plastic washer. However, I contacted Utah Airguns, and they said the washer was switched out for an x-ring. I picked up some x-rings, and while they create a good seal, they make the gauge stick out a bit too far. This, in turn, causes the dust cover to sit out too far. Was there a miscommunication between me and Utah Airguns, or did FX make the switch and I just need to crank down on the gauge to get it seated right?

Thanks.

Just to make sure, you're not using both the plastic seal and the x-ring? That x-ring must be thick!

Your info all seems correct from the original delrin or teflon seal to the new x-ring seal.

You should hand tighten the gauge, and then at give 1/2 - 1 full turn extra when using an x-ring, 1 turn may be too much.

If the x-ring is causing the gauge to protrude more than you like, you could try to sand the x-ring down a hair to reduce its height, however this will reduce its available squeeze.

If you can't find a happy place with the x-ring, you could always swap back to the plastic delrin/teflon washer however I find it hard to believe you couldn't get comparable protrusion from the x-ring as the plastic seal.

1 turn on a 28 tpi thread should be .036"~ or nearly 1mm in travel.

-Matt

• Love
Reactions: HogKiller
Just to make sure, you're not using both the plastic seal and the x-ring? That x-ring must be thick!

Your info all seems correct from the original delrin or teflon seal to the new x-ring seal.

You should hand tighten the gauge, and then at give 1/2 - 1 full turn extra when using an x-ring, 1 turn may be too much.

If the x-ring is causing the gauge to protrude more than you like, you could try to sand the x-ring down a hair to reduce its height, however this will reduce its available squeeze.

If you can't find a happy place with the x-ring, you could always swap back to the plastic delrin/teflon washer however I find it hard to believe you couldn't get comparable protrusion from the x-ring as the plastic seal.

1 turn on a 28 tpi thread should be .036"~ or nearly 1mm in travel.

-Matt

Any idea as to what size the x-ring is? I'm trying to use the same one as I do for the reg gauge seal: https://www.oringsandmore.com/x-rings-3-63-x-2-62mm-minimum-10-pcs/. Right now, the best I've found is an o-ring, although I'm not sure how big it is.

Oh, that is a thick boy...

Consider one with less cross sectional diameter.

Perhaps a 007 or a 008.

1725388324700.png

This alone will reduce protrusion by almost 1mm.

-Matt

Ended up calling Utah Airguns to confirm the x-ring size. They said that it's 3.63 x 2.62mm. Thick indeed.

Very helpful to learn about the X ring.
Buit if one wants to continue with the plastic/delrin seal what are the dimensions, please?
Thanks
Edward

2mm 1/8" according to the parts list. It's part number 5005. I wonder if Utah Airguns still sells these. Never did ask.

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
I think I figured out the problem.

IMG_3298.pngIMG_3299.png

In the process of hunting down a leak, I tried swapping out the end cap on the air tube. As you can see, the first one has a pronounced ridge on the inside that the other lacks. With a 3.63 x 2.62mm x-ring, the gauge sits a little proud, in turn causing the dust cover to not seat correctly. The one without the ridge fits the x-ring just fine.

So, not only did FX switch from plastic washers to x-rings, they also changed the end cap design. Of course, there's also the possibility the the ridge is actually a spacer of some kind, but I can't get it out if that's what it is.

Reactions: rcarlisle