What were your first experiences handling a gun?

About safety and stuff...

Once upon a time, long ago, I had my rifles in a rack on the wall. Now, here in Canada, all firearms (which includes airguns over 500 fps) are legally required to be properly stored in a lockable cabinet or with a trigger-lock in a case.

I miss having them on display but from my own experience see that it's for the best to keep all firearms out of sight and unaccessible to unauthorized people.

These days, with all violence in video games and on TV, safe gun handling is a concern.

So that brings me to my point of asking about your first experiences handling a gun.

Having always been strongly attracted to anything that shot a projectile, I was totally impressed with my father's Crosman 101 multi-pump pellet gun. In spite of being forbidden, I'd shoot it (bits of wood, wads of foil or even screws) whenever I got a chance. Luckily, I never did any damage to myself or anything else.

My first "official" use of a rifle came when we visited a family friend who lived in a rural area. There was a .22 rimfire by the back-door and a large amount of begging netted me two boxes of shells. A couple of tins were put in front of a high backstop and a blanket was put on the ground about 10 yards back. I was told that the rifle could not leave the area of the blanket and must always be pointed towards the backstop. After basic instructions on how to operate the rifle and demonstrating that I could manage it, I was left alone to shoot. One hundred shots later, the tins were mostly unharmed but I did have a great time 😁 I was told (years) afterwards that they kept an eye on me from the house.

The closest that I got to formal instruction was when I was shooting my Slavia 618 break-barrel beside the road (in the 1960s). A cop watched me for a bit then came over and showed me how to hold the rifle and use the sights properly.

Without someone to mentor you (back before home computers, the internet and YouTube videos) books and magazines were the only source of information. Most of what I knew about guns and shooting came Jack O'Connor's book "Complete Book on Rifles and Shotguns". People are lucky to have access to all kinds of detailed information now.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from and that's why I'll help anyone who wants to try archery or airguns.

So I'm curious how people got into shooting and how you learned the trade. Did you have someone to teach you or did you have to figure it out yourself?

...Done rambling, heading out to do some plinking 🙂

Cheers!

About 1967 in a bunkhouse on a ranch near Sheridan Wyoming. I was 5. My dad let me shoot a single shot bolt action rifle for the first time and patiently instructed me how to handle it. He handed me a Daisy model 99 bb gun that afternoon and I shot it every day for many years afterward.

My father was a rifleman in Korea and a sniper in the early days of Viet Nam. He hunted big game on 3 continents. He was a guide and professional hunter for a time. He did gunsmithing and manufactured bullets. We shot every day for many years and reloaded every round we shot.

I remember shooting the rimfire for the first time very clearly. It was a rite of passage I had earned. Every male role model in my life at that time was an accomplished hunter and rifleman. It was a big deal for a kid to be deemed worthy of a rifle in a crowd like that.

Right here:

IMG_7349.jpeg

I have no idea what brand or model of air rifle that is, but that’s me at about four or five years old shooting soda cans at my grandparent’s place in Nebraska just before Christmas. It was cold, but I didn’t care. Same for the ride around the neighborhood I begged for and got in the bed of Grandpa’s pickup while it was snowing, same year. It was the late 80s, definitely a different time lol.

And for some weird reason, I grew up to love guns and be mildly irresponsible in things that go fast (but mostly on two wheels). :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: SteveV and Vana2
Back in the early seventies I talked my parents into letting me buy a Crosmsn 760 that my neighbors were selling at a garage sale. It took a lot of convincing because I didn't come from what you would call a pro gun house hold.
I had lots of neat little adventures with that Crosman. I took it with me when we went on vacation. I had fun going on "safari" with it in the woods. I don't remember why but I preferred shooting bbs out of it rather than pellets.
later in life a the ripe old age of 17 I was able to acquire a Ruger 10/22.

Reactions: SteveV and Vana2
1963 Camp Delmont Boy Scout summer camp. I was 12 years old and the first time I had any "formal" marksmanship instruction. .22 single shot rimfire rifles. After the "basics" of safety, aiming, safety, sight alignment, safety, trigger control, safety, that wonderful smell of Hoppes #9, safety, and given 10 rounds of rimfire with strict observance of what I (and my fellow scouts) was doing, we safely fired 10 rounds at 50 feet.

I WAS HOOKED!

Here it is, 61 years later, and after many thousands of dollars spent on guns, ammo, gear, etc. etc, etc. buying and selling and wasting money here and there, and three marriages, and getting rid of most of that, I am left with some of the most accurate air guns I could have ever wanted; both spring piston and PCP.

My first experience handling a gun (firearm) was at the deer camp my father belonged to, the Lonesome Pine. Pop gave me a Stephens .410 that he had cut down the stock to fit me better. 1967 maybe? Later on I graduated to .28 gauge and my younger brother got the .410. This was also my first experience with a break barrel, as one of Pops buds had been stationed in Germany, brought one stateside and I ended up shooting it a bunch between the morning and evening hunt, and I still have the faint scar on the web between my thumb and index finger, cause I shot it till I was too weak to cock it any more and it got away from me.

Reactions: Vana2
I grew up with guns in the woods, swamps of north Louisiana. We did not target shoot or waste ammo on dirt clods, ammo was precious and expensive. The four guns I was allowed to use were my Crosman 140 .22 pumper, a .410 single shot and a .410 double barrel and a Remington single shot Target Master. I would be given one or two "bullets" to put in my pocket and I was expected to produce a squirrel or rabbit or something edible with each. My grandfather grew up in a time where pot hunting was a nessecity, it was not sport though it was sporting, it was because they were hungry otherwise. In the Depression my father learned from my gf the same. My gf then taught me, how to still hunt, how to stalk, how to move through the woods silently and invisibly. I am not very good at targets and would get soundly beaten I am sure if I ever took it as a endeavor. But, I also cannot remember actually missing.

Me and my border collie Smoky and my .410. And yes, I was going out to get something to eat.

Occasionally I got to use "my" Marlin 39A Mountie, bought the day I was born and given me in due course. I have pictures of me shooting it before I could walk good somewhere on slides. I did not carry it often because my gf or dad would only give me one or two "bullets" so I preferred the Target Master or the .410. What good is a repeater when you have only one or two pocket bullets.