FX What would cause a leak from this hole on my Dreamline?

I'm still chasing my Dreamline leak. I put my finger over this hole on the power plenum and felt air:

IMG_3301.png

I figured it's a regulator leak. I actually have a second fully assembled power plenum, so I put that one and gassed it up. Same leak! Am I unlucky enough to have two leaky regs? Is there something else I'm missing? What o-rings would fix the problem?

Thanks.

Partially true, if your spool oring is leaking, you're likely leaking into the section of regulator that should be kept at atmospheric pressure, for reference.

-Matt
Well, my wife says I'm always wrong, so I'll accept partially true with pride! I've had two weep hole leaks that were fixed by replacing the outer O rings. Maybe I'm just lucky, which is a good thing, since I'm not keen on disassembling the regulator.

Reactions: Stubbers
Just to clarify, which o-rings are considered "outer"? Are we talking about the ones one the regulator screw and regulator house? In any case, I ended up opening one of the regs to take a look around. Everything looked fine. No obvious damage, anyway. I have 4 x 1.5mm o-rings on hand, so I replaced the one on the regulator rod. I also gave the other o-rings a thin coat of silicon grease, then stuck everything back together.

Still leaks, unfortunately. Maybe it's the hard to reach one inside the regulator house.

Just to clarify, which o-rings are considered "outer"? Are we talking about the ones one the regulator screw and regulator house? In any case, I ended up opening one of the regs to take a look around. Everything looked fine. No obvious damage, anyway. I have 4 x 1.5mm o-rings on hand, so I replaced the one on the regulator rod. I also gave the other o-rings a thin coat of silicon grease, then stuck everything back together.

Still leaks, unfortunately. Maybe it's the hard to reach one inside the regulator house.

#19 is the outer o-ring if I see correctly.

Any number of the o-rings that seal around the atmospheric section of the regulator could contribute to the leak, I do not know this regulator well enough.

The tiniest of nick or defect on an o-ring could cause the leaks. Additionally, a scratch/gouge present where #19 would sit could as well, be it the groove of the regulator or within the tube it sits.

A single wrap of teflon tape inside the o-ring groove before installing the o-ring on #19 could help create a better seal if its an anomaly with its fitment.

There has to be another o-ring that isn't shown in the above diagram, because it makes no sense to only have 1 outer o-ring on the reg. It could be that o-ring that would be somewhere to the left of the weep hole.

Part #7 here...those two o-rings, you have inspected?

-Matt

#19 is the outer o-ring if I see correctly.

Any number of the o-rings that seal around the atmospheric section of the regulator could contribute to the leak, I do not know this regulator well enough.

The tiniest of nick or defect on an o-ring could cause the leaks. Additionally, a scratch/gouge present where #19 would sit could as well, be it the groove of the regulator or within the tube it sits.

A single wrap of teflon tape inside the o-ring groove before installing the o-ring on #19 could help create a better seal if its an anomaly with its fitment.

There has to be another o-ring that isn't shown in the above diagram, because it makes no sense to only have 1 outer o-ring on the reg. It could be that o-ring that would be somewhere to the left of the weep hole.

Part #7 here...those two o-rings, you have inspected?

-Matt

Ah, I should clarify that I have a Dreamline Classic. Unfortunately, I could only find a detailed regulator diagram for the Tactical. That said, the reg internals appear to be the same. Here's a better idea of what I'm working with:

IMG_3302.png

Valve assembly aside, there appears to only be a single o-ring between the regulator and action. There's also the metal washer, although I'm not sure what it's for. And you know, now that I look at it, the weep hole is exactly in between the o-ring and threads. So, it must be the o-ring, right? Well, I've replaced it twice now, and the gun still leaks.

Have I been using the wrong size o-ring this entire time? According to the diagram I found, it should be 23 x 2.5mm NBR70. Does anyone know the correct size?

Ah, I should clarify that I have a Dreamline Classic. Unfortunately, I could only find a detailed regulator diagram for the Tactical. That said, the reg internals appear to be the same. Here's a better idea of what I'm working with:

View attachment 494610

Valve assembly aside, there appears to only be a single o-ring between the regulator and action. There's also the metal washer, although I'm not sure what it's for. And you know, now that I look at it, the weep hole is exactly in between the o-ring and threads. So, it must be the o-ring, right? Well, I've replaced it twice now, and the gun still leaks.

Have I been using the wrong size o-ring this entire time? According to the diagram I found, it should be 23 x 2.5mm NBR70. Does anyone know the correct size?

I cannot comment on the size. Inspecting where the o-ring sits both on groove and in the tube, there are no scratches/gouges, correct?

Have any teflon tape? I'd try my trick I mentioned above with 1-2 wraps of it within the groove of that pictured o-ring, for a giggle. Won't cause any harm, it will simply increase the squeeze on the o-ring within the bore it sits.

-Matt

Last edited:

The regs with which I have experience all have 2 external O rings on the body of the reg, one on either side of the weep hole. No matter what's going on inside, if those 2 O rings seal, air will not escape out that hole. At least that's been my experience.

Reactions: Stubbers
The regs with which I have experience all have 2 external O rings on the body of the reg, one on either side of the weep hole. No matter what's going on inside, if those 2 O rings seal, air will not escape out that hole. At least that's been my experience.

Yea, as stated already, more than just those 2 o-rings keep HPA air from entering into the atmospheric region of regulator that uses the weep hole for reference to said atmospheric pressure. I honestly cannot state how many beyond the one already mentioned on the spool with this regulator as I have never had it apart and in hand to attest.

Based on OP's picture of it disassembled, the o-ring present in his picture could be culprit.

-Matt

Another update. Utah Airguns suggested I look at the o-rings on the valve stem plug. There's a weep hole on it that I never noticed.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 19-42-27 F10057-3-ENG - dreamline_parts_list_02.pdf.png

I replaced o-rings #71 and #72. No more leaking from the weep hole as far as I can tell. Might've damaged the o-rings from all the disassembling I've been doing. However, there's still a hissing near the valve. What's a good way of pinpointing a leak from that area?