• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What would you do?

I bought a used Daystate Huntsman Revere and am slowly acquiring everything I need to get out and shoot. I need a solution for filling it. I have given up the idea of buying a compressor because I don't have the space to store it.

What I do have is a 68 cubic-inch carbon fiber paintball tank that is in excellent condition. I am the original owner and it has been well cared for. The problem is that it was manufactured 08/2006 and it has never been hydrotested. There is a shop that has filled it recently and it held air for 2 weeks without losing pressure. I expect to only get 4-5 fills with the Daystate and the shop is 45 minutes away.

I would like to buy a 98 cubic-foot tank and use it to fill my gun directly and even fill the paintball tank for field use. I'm having a hard time finding used tanks < 15 years old for a decent price and new tanks are $700. I see there are new 100 cubic-inch "buddy" tanks that are $300. So my question is, what would you do? Should I scrap the paintball tank? Keep it and buy a fill station? Should I buy a $300 buddy tank to keep initial costs low? Decisions. Decisions.

I recently purchased a GX CS4 portable compressor, have used it 10 times approximately so far. I have an FX impact with the 580cc tank. I also have the 98cf air tank, and that doesn’t do too many fills on the impact. IMOP, I would invest in a portable compressor, it’s working for me, and I’ll have the tank for back-up if the compressor breaks down. Hopes this helps a bit

I bought a used Daystate Huntsman Revere and am slowly acquiring everything I need to get out and shoot. I need a solution for filling it. I have given up the idea of buying a compressor because I don't have the space to store it.

What I do have is a 68 cubic-inch carbon fiber paintball tank that is in excellent condition. I am the original owner and it has been well cared for. The problem is that it was manufactured 08/2006 and it has never been hydrotested. There is a shop that has filled it recently and it held air for 2 weeks without losing pressure. I expect to only get 4-5 fills with the Daystate and the shop is 45 minutes away.

I would like to buy a 98 cubic-foot tank and use it to fill my gun directly and even fill the paintball tank for field use. I'm having a hard time finding used tanks < 15 years old for a decent price and new tanks are $700. I see there are new 100 cubic-inch "buddy" tanks that are $300. So my question is, what would you do? Should I scrap the paintball tank? Keep it and buy a fill station? Should I buy a $300 buddy tank to keep initial costs low? Decisions. Decisions.
Look online for outdated scba tanks that are in good physical condition, hydrotesting is only $50 atleast here in south florida. A used and outdated SCBA tank should not run you more than $150. Buddy of mine and I have have 4 he got them all practically dirt cheap, although I'm not sure where from. We've had them for over a year and a half with no problems.

☝️ What he said (BWAGS). For your situation it sounds most sensible. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a tank with time left if you search diligently but a 45 min drive to fill it cries out "COMPRESSOR" to me.
I would love to have a compressor, but I'm concerned about the poor/nonexistent filtration of the units that cost < $1,500. As for storage, I'm living the apartment life and don't have a garage.

This is my first PCP and I don't want to damage it. I feel more confident having the tank filled at a shop with a commercial compressor. I'm aware that tanks can be used safely after the 15-year mark, but most shops won't touch it. Any leads on reputable sellers with used/refurbish tanks would be appreciated.

It is wise to have some concern about water in high pressure air but it not overly expensive or difficult to filter the air so you do not hurt your gun or a tank. I use a Yong Heng to fill an expired Scott fireman's 45 minute tank. A Yong Heng may not fit your situation (they are noisy too) but a little 350W compressor is smaller than a decent sized tank so storing it should not be an issue. The reviews also say they are quieter than a Yong Heng and thus more consistent with apartment living. Many will work off the 12V in your car so you could even fill where you shoot if you think it is too noisy.

I use the filter that came with my YH that has a white fibrous element which I change after every tank fill. It collects some water but typically not a whole lot. It also gets some oil on it (small amount but you can see it on the inlet end). I vent every five minutes during a tank fill and I see moisture coming out when I vent. I think that gets a lot of it. My filters are uphill of the compressor so any water that condenses during filtering flows backwards to the compressor (I hope at least). I added a second filter which I filled with color changing dessicant. It takes multiple tank fills to change the color of the beads. It would take many gun fills. And it's easy to open it up and check it. I have but do not use a big gold Tuxing filter, I see no need for it. I've opened my guns multiple times and there was no sign of moisture. I recommend something like a CX2 (or CX4 if you prefer) with an extra filter filled with color change dessicant (there is no need for charcoal since you won't be breathing the air). If the desicant ever changes color I would vent the air since it may have moisture. But if you monitor it I think you will get a feel for when the beads need to be changed and not have a problem. The basic "solution" to the moisture concern is to do something reasonable to filter the air and then monitor the situation to be sure it's working.

Reactions: BWAGS
Are you using any type of output inline water/oil separator? How many hours to fill the 98cf tank? I have not attempted that yet.
I'm currently using the blue budget job from Amazon. But definitely need to upgrade. I fill my tank when it gets down to 3000psi up to 4700, after cool down its at 4500. It usually takes about 45 minutes to complete.

Reactions: BWAGS
How long does it take to fill/top off the tank?
I have yet to fill from empty. To top off from 3000 psi to 4700psi ot take approximately 45 minutes or so. About an episode and a half of American airgunner. Lol. I've never really timed it. I do bleed the moisture every so often as it builds. After the tank cools, the tank is generally about 4500 psi.

This is one of the best deals on a new tank. Made in 2020 so still in original hydro (if you're going to do shop fills). I fill at home and this was a very good purchase for me. They are actually quite lightweight and easily transported.

UPDATE: I found a 30-minute SCBA tank locally that is good until 12/2027. I ordered an SCBA hose assembly from Joe Brancato so I should be in business. The 68 ci paintball tank met it's demise when I took it to a local shop to have the regulator removed. We discovered the regulator was installed from the factory with green Loctite so the threads stripped out during removal.

I have yet to fill from empty. To top off from 3000 psi to 4700psi ot take approximately 45 minutes or so. About an episode and a half of American airgunner. Lol. I've never really timed it. I do bleed the moisture every so often as it builds. After the tank cools, the tank is generally about 4500 psi.
Thanks for responding. 45 minutes to top off isn’t bad. I e been thinking of getting a compressor to fill a bottle. I’ll look further into this one. I won’t be using it to fill an 88cf tank, just topping off. Thanks again

Thanks for responding. 45 minutes to top off isn’t bad. I e been thinking of getting a compressor to fill a bottle. I’ll look further into this one. I won’t be using it to fill an 88cf tank, just topping off. Thanks again
My Alpha Filter arrived today!! All hooked up and topped off my 98cf from 3000 to 4500 in 48 min., great insurance for your air guns. Joe Brancato, Air Tanks For Sale.

Reactions: DirtyGator