What's the best first pcp air rifle for hunting?

Hard to go wrong with the Marauder. They are a bit heavy. (synthetic is lighter)

I don't mind a heavy rifle that much. What do you like and dislike about the marauder?

About the only thing I don't like is the bolt action-it works fine but I'd love to see a sidelever version. My Gen1 .25 would only get 16 really consistent shots per fill which was kind of limiting in target rich situations. I recommend Tim Hill's lighter hammer and spring combo for more shots per fill, I have my .25 Gen 1 tuned at around 770 fps with JSB Kings and I'm getting 40 shots from a 2800 psi fill. I use my .25 for some long range pesting and it's nice to have the higher shot count so I can take a sighter shot to read the wind. If you don't mind the weight I'd get the wood stocked version, I had a Gen 2 .25 in synthetic and I didn't care for it.

What I like is- Great trigger after disabling the "lawyer spring", high shot count after Hill hammer and spring, Good out of the box accuracy, easy to work on, huge array of aftermarket mods, simple proven platform.

I don't mind a synthetic stock but if the wood stock somehow improves the performance then I'll consider it. I think I'm leaning towards the a marauder and I'll definitely look into the hammer and spring combo. did the aftermarket hammer and spring affect the performance, such as, the accuracy and power of the gun at all besides shot count? And what do you think about regulating the rifle?

What are you planning on hunting?

I'll most likely be hunting, rats, chipmunks, crows, doves, pigeons, rabbits, house sparrows, starlings, and hopefully some medium sized game in the future.

If you are going to go after some medium sized game I would opt for .25 cal Marauder, Gauntlet or Bullboss would be my choices

The marauder and gauntlet seem a little more appealing to me. My choice is most likely going to be one of those two. Thank you for your input

Bar non for the price tag I would go with the urban. Bsa barrel, bsa valve, the thing is super accurate and acts like its regulated with its flat shot strings. Not completely regulated mind you but its very good. 270 bucks usually but i got mine on sale 220 from wally world. It has the best magazine ive ever used on any airgun as well. Quiet and has adjustable power. 

I have both and while they are quite comparable in performance here are a few things you might like to know.

The forearm on the Gauntlet is a waste of plastic. It's bulky and makes the gun cumbersome to shoulder off-hand. I threw it away...

That being said, my M-Rod is now slightly heavier than my Gauntlet.

Marauder mags (even though they are identical to the Gauntlet) historically cost more and are more problematic, so just buy Gauntlet mags.

The Gauntlet sling set-up is a joke and it will not carry well in the woods.

I prefer the Gauntlet bolt over the M-Rod but they both could be much better.

The M-Rod feels more robust and the Gauntlet feels cheap but I still love shooting them both.

My Gauntlet has a larger bottle and I enjoy the extra shots. No real way to add extra air to the M-Rod that I've seen. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Just a few of my observations. I hope you found something to help you in your decision.

-brian

Thanks for your input, definitely learned a few things from you. Marauder is sounding a little more like my type and I think I might be able to bring the shot count up a bit with a few modifications.

I'm not sure what you've heard about accuracy issues. Crosman did receive a batch of .22 barrels many years ago which had virtually no choke. However that is not the case now. 

What you HAVEN'T heard is Crosman assembles AND accuracy test each rifle before it goes out the door and the test target is included.

That's called Quality Control. Their Customer Service is second to none. They answer the phone or return your call promptly, they speak English as a first language and they are genuinely nice people.

Umarex doesn't do that.... Hatsan doesn't and Gamo doesn't either...... 

And in .25 I think I read or heard Crosman makes their barrels in house now. (If this statement is inaccurate please confirm). They were using Green Mountain to make their barrels only for the 25. 

The .25's I've had in both Gen 1 and Gen 2 have been stellar performers. Yeah, they aren't regulated but can be, the shot count is around 25 as a result (and BTW by installing a reg you will give up some power for more shots) 

And as was mentioned, the trigger is one of the best on a gun under a grand. 

If you do decide to get a Marauder..... get the JSB .25.39g and just shoot it.... Fill it up to the recommended 2700 psi for best power curve and enjoy. If it ain't broke,..... 

IMO, great value. You don't see them for sale used hardly at all. Wonder why???? 😉

I think your reply alone has me sold on the marauder! definitely thinking about getting a regulator for it. JSB 25.39 it is! Thanks for your help

Budget wise and feature wise, the gauntlet is very hard to beat.

That said, I have a 380mm crown, and it's phenomenal. 5 lbs without scope 480cc bottle, mine has a 580 I put on it, and the bottles have valves, so you can carry two full ones with you.

As for the Diana outlaw... I honestly think I would go with that over any of the guns you listed. I got one of their pcp pistols recently, and I've done extensive modifications and tuning. It's the most fun gun I have, and extremely accurate.

Bar non for the price tag I would go with the urban. Bsa barrel, bsa valve, the thing is super accurate and acts like its regulated with its flat shot strings. Not completely regulated mind you but its very good. 270 bucks usually but i got mine on sale 220 from wally world. It has the best magazine ive ever used on any airgun as well. Quiet and has adjustable power.

That one is definitely a steal, however I'm looking for something in .25 (which the Urban does not support) since my break barrel is already .22. thank you for the suggestion though

The 400cc can is about $160.00, and I am getting about 50 consistent shot before it falls off the regulator. I cleaned the barrel made sure no burrs, redid the crown and the stock barrel will handle the slugs no change needed. Cleaned up the trigger by shaving it a little and polishing it for smoothness. Placed larger o-ring on the airstrippper to seal it better, and ported the shroud at the base like Hajimoto did and it absolutely quieted the bark even more. As well adjusted the regulator to 2100 psi. Most tuners will charge $150 to $300 from what I have gathered. So for you if you're comfortable doing all of that about $160.00 for the larger airtank. Oh I also worked on the cocking mechanism cuz it's a little STIFF at first.

My 1st PCP was a Marauder in .22. I "liked" it, not a love affair, never got it to give me what I wanted accuracy-wise. Even with all the adjustments I did. Next I got a Hatsan AT44, .22.

THAT GUN imho was way more to my liking than the Mrod. More accurate, just as quiet, flatter trajectory & more power. Don't hear much about Hatsan in this forum but for "entry level" pcp's that's what I would go with. Easier loading mag, side lever as opposed to bolt. It just suited me better at the time & gave me what I wanted. Watch some of Hunter One's earlier videos. You'll see what I mean. 

What about Hatsan AT44? I liked mine WAY more than my Marauder. No double loading of pellets, side lever, easier to load & CHEAPER magazines, flatter trajectory, just as quiet, easy to "tune" & built like a TANK. Kinda sorry I sold it! 

Didn't think my 1st reply posted. Sorry for the repeat.

THE DEPARTMENT OF REDUNDANCY DEPARTMENT 

Budget wise and feature wise, the gauntlet is very hard to beat.

That said, I have a 380mm crown, and it's phenomenal. 5 lbs without scope 480cc bottle, mine has a 580 I put on it, and the bottles have valves, so you can carry two full ones with you.

As for the Diana outlaw... I honestly think I would go with that over any of the guns you listed. I got one of their pcp pistols recently, and I've done extensive modifications and tuning. It's the most fun gun I have, and extremely accurate.

I agree, the gauntlet is an amazing gun for the price. Is there anywhere that I might be able to find a crown for a lower price? I don't mind if its used. I just discovered the Diana today and it's looking like it could be a new competitor. I'll do more research on it before I come to a conclusion. Have you ever shot a diana outlaw at all?

In my opinion,You will be happy with either the .25 Marauder OR Umarex Gauntlet as your "..FIRST pcp air rifle for hunting." And if you want to save even More money (NOT a bad thing!) look into a Refurbished model. Generally speaking,the refurbs have been gone over with a fine tooth comb by the manufacturer. Two of my Best shooting rifles,.177 Gauntlet and .22 Kral Puncher Pro, were purchased as refurbs. No problems and Very nice shooters!

Hope this helps You and best of luck!!

Mike.