What's the lowest FPS

A .177 dome at 550fps muzzle velocity passed through two house sparrows at 20 yards.
hosp x2 20181027 cu.jpg

And here's a scope cam example of a grey squirrel taken with a brain shot at 30 yards with a .177 wadcutter at 625fps.

My opinion is this sort of thing is only suited for the most favorable conditions, as in pest control from a known distance (as opposed to stalking around) because the trajectory is very loopy and even slight range estimation errors can easily make the difference between a clean kill and a wounded animal. The same concern applies to wind.

I've taken mice, rats, small birds, and other dangerous game with airsoft pistols shooting plastic BBs about 250-325 FPS.

Airsoft rat.JPG

Airsoftmice.JPG

Baby scorpions.JPG

Airsoft scorpions.JPG

And green June beetles in flight with a Red Ryder BB rifle-

BB beetles.JPG

And cottontail and jack rabbits with .22 Co2 pistols producing 425-500 FPS with 14.3 grain pellets to 35-40 yards-

35 yard bunny.JPG

35 yard offhand shot.

AAP new cover small.jpg

I've taken mice, rats, small birds, and other dangerous game with airsoft pistols shooting plastic BBs about 250-325 FPS.

View attachment 501336

View attachment 501337

View attachment 501338

View attachment 501340

And green June beetles in flight with a Red Ryder BB rifle-

View attachment 501341

And cottontail and jack rabbits with .22 Co2 pistols producing 425-500 FPS with 14.3 grain pellets to 35-40 yards-

View attachment 501343

35 yard offhand shot.

View attachment 501344

There ain't nothing soft about air soft, they tear aluminum cans to shreds.

Flies with a Bug-A-Sal
I am amazed i have not seen anyone put this in steroids, and really coarse salt or similar.

My FAC Maverick when i got it shot 13 grain MRD pellets at 570 or so FPS, at the MAX setting ( BAD FX / Bad Danish seller selling sub 12 as FAC )
Anyway at that modest speed the MRD pellets was lasers out to 50 M, any faster and it turned into a scatter gun just shooting 1 pellet at a time.

Flies with a Bug-A-Salt . . . works great. It shoots salt at an unknown speed as my Chrony won't pick it up, but it ain't much. I've "patterned" it on aluminum foil at about a foot and it won't shoot through it . . .
I had one of those but likewise found it didn't have much punch. At one point I designed and printed a screw on device (with baffles to make sure salt didn't flow backwards into the barrel). Looked like a moderator with a loading port about halfway down. effective on the pp700 and could take things out that the bug a salt couldn't.

Reactions: denovich