N/A What's the point of shooting single hand unsupported?

Olympic style pistol shooting, one handed, is about sight picture, trigger control, breathing, and patience. It is a very difficult skill to master and certainly deserves its place within Olympic sports. Give it a try and see if you can score 80%, or better. (480/600.) A low Olympic qualifying score would be 555/600, for example. Be fore-warned, the sport is addictive.
If Gritting ones teeth, Holding ones breath while standing on One Foot is the requirement ... sigh me up !!!

Equally funny how "Them" Hollywood cowboys and there Winchesters had a hard time hitting someone on the street from a rooftop 🥴
Yet those in the know using a Winchester rifle could have a very real chance to unsaddle a moving rider at 150+ yards
Movies are a bunch of bullcrap when it comes to shooting. Those old Winchester rifles used wimpy pistol cartridges that weren't much use beyond 50 or 75 yards. At least not for a clean kill. I know, I have one. Pistol shooting accurately requires lots of mental and physical discipline. Drawing a cowboy gun and pointing it in the general direction gets you a big miss.

locking your body produces stress and that produces wobble . Prove this by holding any pistol with a tight grip , then relax you grip and shoulder as much as you can and still remain on target , wobble will lessen or disappear .

Exactly!

Any offhand stance requires relaxation. Shotgun, pistol or rifle. The most important element of any offhand routine is relaxing every muscle that's not supporting the weapon.

When you try to hold a gun steady by holding it tight you get tremors. When you relax you get smooth, predictable movements.

Soooo much trigger time trigger time trigger time ... 😜

It takes them so long because they are fighting to keep other shooters out of their head while trying to get into other shooters heads.

It's a full time job to keep locked on target, play mind games and get a shot off while standing there like a scarecrow. On the surface it's long and boring. But underneath it's a game of skill and psychic warfare.

Reactions: groak
I practice air pistol shooting for both fun and as cross-training for a PB pistol (always with a support hand, either LH or RH), so I have no comment about the Olympic 10M shooting style except that some of them make it look easy. Good athletes tend to have that effect on more casual watchers.

However, I’ll never forget what happened to a friend who was bicycling on a deserted stretch of urban bike path. A young gangbangerie type stepped in from the side with his arm straight out, holding a gun pointed at my friend. Trying his hand at bikejacking.

My friend, who had some combat training, broke the wannabe’s arm AND took the gun, which he later completely disassembled and discarded with pieces in different dumpsters all over the area.

“Different horses for different courses” applies to both equipment and technique.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
It takes them so long because they are fighting to keep other shooters out of their head while trying to get into other shooters heads.

It's a full time job to keep locked on target, play mind games and get a shot off while standing there like a scarecrow. On the surface it's long and boring. But underneath it's a game of skill and psychic warfare.

To me, spectating it is a little like watching paint dry. There is hardly any body movement involved. BUT some sports are much more for participants than spectators, for either that reason, or because the body moves identically hundreds of thousands of times before the end comes (such as in long-distance running or cycling or swimming).

I’m all for sports for participants above all. The rest is extra, though obviously that notion is not what brings in the big bucks.

Soooo much trigger time trigger time trigger time ... 😜
I think that any sport at that level involves countless hours of practice. Tens of thousands of hours. I imagine there are a few athletes from non-competitive nations that are just there for the olympic experience and don't have that kind of background, but I'd bet all of the medal contenders do.

Reactions: jetpopt
1 on 1 gunfights
Me and my friend tried to square off with air soft revolvers, lets just say that it took a embarrassing long time before anyone of us got a hit ( draw + 1 shot )
Also tried quick draw and shoot balloon, again balloons lasted a very long time.

It look so easy when john Wayne do it

Also i have tried pistol shooting,,,, 1 hand of course,,,,, a few shots,,,,,, i did not hit the paper.

Me and my friend tried to square off with air soft revolvers, lets just say that it took a embarrassing long time before anyone of us got a hit ( draw + 1 shot )
Also tried quick draw and shoot balloon, again balloons lasted a very long time.

It look so easy when john Wayne do it

Also i have tried pistol shooting,,,, 1 hand of course,,,,, a few shots,,,,,, i did not hit the paper.

Here is advice from a guy not qualified to give advice....

A cheap Co2 BB pistol and a hand full of shotgun shells 15 feet away on the ground. Practice bringing the gun up and shooting 2 shots one after the other fairly rapidly.

Don't shoot from the hip. Dont try to draw faster than you are able to. Just bring it up in front of your face look down the gun and shoot.

Don't try to "aim" closely. Just look down the barrel across the sights and shoot. Shoot once and adjust your hand and shoot again. Don't "aim" the second shot. Use your miss to judge how much to move your hand. Dont worry about misses. You learn from those. Holster the gun, draw and do it again.

Soon you will develop muscle memory and the gun comes up in front of you on point. Your hand adjusts automatically to where your eye is focused. If you miss it automatically corrects. When you look at the sights they are pretty much on when the gun comes up. Close enough.

It honestly is not that hard. A little practice and you can start snapping shotgun shells around. Then set tin cans out at 10 yards and do it. By the time you go through a carton of BB's your hand/eye coordination will be good and you will have basic holster skills.

Then pick up a pistol and apply what you have learned.

You can't shoot tiny patterns on paper like that. But you can draw and hit soup cans at 10 yards one right after the other. That is good proficiency with a pistol.

It's pretty easy with a little practice. But it's not something a lot of guys spend much time on. You have to be willing to accept misses and develop skills that aren't familiar. That can take the fun out of it until you get better.

Last edited:
The one-handed pistol competition disciplines evolved from a combination of factors-
1) Pistols having originated as portable, short-range alternatives to rifles in combat situations, it is quicker to draw and shoot a charging enemy one-handed. Hence, traditional roots.
2) Humans need activities that distract from Reality. In the case of shooting pistols one-handed, sometimes taken to the extreme of psychological self-torment. 😵‍💫
3) One-handed pistol competitions are a less permanent escape from Reality than a bullet through the brain. :oops:
4) FWIW- interestingly, aforementioned escape from Reality (#3 above) is also most often exercised one-handedly. ☝️ Traditional roots again?

• Haha
Reactions: boscoebrea and MrP