• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What's your favorite compact PCP?

I have been thinking about a short 22 cal change for my Crown. It is a .30 cal 600mm, I searched for .30 cal 380mm, but I haven't seen one that wasn't kit with the bolt. I thought if I'm bying the bolt kit anyway I may as well get a .22cal.
Your thoughts?
Whats the purpose of the short setup? If .22 cal gives you the energy needed for pesting/ hunting its a nice setup and works really good. Cheaper than .30 cal as well. I also have a 380mm .25 cal barrel assembly. I set that up at 35 fpe and it was perfect for night time raccoon pesting and worked great for starlings, gophers and daytime pests like that. It was very accurate.

Reactions: .20calguy
I don't own one, but I've been monitoring the performance of the budget-friendly AEA Challenger Pro .22, which delivers 80 FPE. It competes well with PCPs that are much more expensive. I do own the Big 9, and for its price, there is no equal. Ultimately, it comes down to how much you're willing to spend on a more complex PCP. Another model to consider is the AirForce Escape Spin-Loc, which is known for its power and precision.

Whats the purpose of the short setup? If .22 cal gives you the energy needed for pesting/ hunting its a nice setup and works really good. Cheaper than .30 cal as well. I also have a 380mm .25 cal barrel assembly. I set that up at 35 fpe and it was perfect for night time raccoon pesting and worked great for starlings, gophers and daytime pests like that. It was very accurate.
Thanks
My 30 is crazy accurate, but I feel a bit clumsy with it, knocking the barrel on stuff ect.
I'm thinking that the rifle will be more handy/user freindly, with the short barrel is all.

Reactions: Airgun Al and LDP
Thanks
My 30 is crazy accurate, but I feel a bit clumsy with it, knocking the barrel on stuff ect.
I'm thinking that the rifle will be more handy/user freindly, with the short barrel is all.
I would say go for the .22 if it has the needed power. I really like the crown with 380mm barrels. Honestly I like the crown with any barrel length but when I need a short light setup I get a 380mm out. I have impacts that are just as short or shorter if you stick something under 700mm on them but they are heavier than the crown.

Thanks
If I have to buy a caliber change kit I thought I would go .22 20230515_205618.jpg

Reactions: Airgun Al and LDP
I would say go for the .22 if it has the needed power. I really like the crown with 380mm barrels. Honestly I like the crown with any barrel length but when I need a short light setup I get a 380mm out. I have impacts that are just as short or shorter if you stick something under 700mm on them but they are heavier than the crown.
I am mostly plinking with them at the moment, and the .30 cal damages things. Lol
My range back stops are 30 and 75 yards with steel swinger's Crazy Eights, shot shell hulls, bottle caps and wire nuts etc.

The shot count on your 177 must be crazy.
I get 3 mags of 13 with the .30.

Reactions: LDP
I have been thinking about a short 22 cal change for my Crown. It is a .30 cal 600mm, I searched for .30 cal 380mm, but I haven't seen one that wasn't kit with the bolt. I thought if I'm bying the bolt kit anyway I may as well get a .22cal.
Your thoughts?
A 380mm barrel on a Crown, is a great combination.
You would have a very difficult time, trying to find a shorter, conventional rifle, with the same power, quality, and accuracy in my opinion.

Reactions: .20calguy and LDP
I have a preference (balance and performance) for of full size airguns. I hunt some pretty thick brush and never really felt the need for a compact.

But to have your cake and eat it to, a design like an Impact gives overall short length but still has a long barrel. Compact in size but not performance.

Can't see using an ultra short barrel then having to crank everything up to maximum just to get average performance.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I am on the hunt for ideas for my next one... looking for a compact PCP, either in standard configuration or bullpup. I am after a 22 caliber gun for plinking and spot and stalk hunting, no preference on bottle or tube.

FX Dreamline PowerPup (500mm version)

Very short
Very lightweight (for stalk hunting)
High shot count (Bottle) for plinking
Easy caliber and/or barrel swaps
Built in barrel band (very solid)
Single regulator gun (Wildcat 3 bottle is dual reg)
High power potential if needed
External hammer spring adjustment
Left hand “over the top” rear cocking - never have to remove right hand from trigger

RTI Prophet Performance:

Very short
Modest weight (for stalk hunting)
High shot count (Bottle) for plinking
Easy caliber and/or barrel swaps
Extremely rigid barrel (extremely solid)
Single regulator gun with external adjustment both up and down
External hammer spring adjustment
External trigger adjustment (!) can actually adjust trigger without removing from shooting bench
High power potential if needed
Left hand cocking - never have to remove right hand from trigger
Heavier than PowerPup - but very well balanced.

I have lots of bullpups, they are my favorite config. I’d also recommend the Taipan Veteran 2, but for your Use Case its a bit heavier than my other 2 recommendations.

-Ed