N/A Whats your most consistently accurate airgun?

The one thing I dint like about balanced valves that I'm aware of is the slow first shot. I'm not sure if all do but does seem like quite a few have stiction issues which for my shooting is unacceptable so I tend to stick to standard valved guns.

I gotta say all of these posts and as far as I can remember Impact hasnt been stated. A few Crowns. I don't even think Panthera made the list. Alittle shocked to be honest. Unless I missed them. Also R5M hasn't been stated much maybe 1? I'd put that in my Top 3 airguns of all time with the Taipan Long and Evol as most consistent, accurate airguns I've owned
I have a P2 with an assisted valve. No slow first shot. There was a slow first shot but it was easily remedied. That coyote I plugged a couple weeks ago was a 180 yard cold shot. A lot of my guns live a life of cold shots so it would be super irresponsible to have mystery first shots. I remember when I got back into FX Impacts in 2020. Had them dialed in accuracy wise after I addressed some issues. But when something would need taken out I would drop the mag and blast a bunch of shots into anything nearby that was soft. Then put the mag back in and hopefully still get a shot off. Finally I said what the F are you doing, this is stupid. That fix involved some thought and a collaboration of minds.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I have a P2 with an assisted valve. No slow first shot. There was a slow first shot but it was easily remedied. That coyote I plugged a couple weeks ago was a 180 yard cold shot. A lot of my guns live a life of cold shots so it would be super irresponsible to have mystery first shots. I remember when I got back into FX Impacts in 2020. Had them dialed in accuracy wise after I addressed some issues. But when something would need taken out I would drop the mag and blast a bunch of shots into anything nearby that was soft. Then put the mag back in and hopefully still get a shot off. Finally I said what the F are you doing, this is stupid. That fix involved some thought and a collaboration of minds.
Good to know on the RTI the first shot can be easily remedied. Would drive me nuts if I had to do the same with a gun and dry fire before I could trust the shot.

My system is I pull one gun out for a week and shoot it, So it may set idle for 10 weeks, 1st shot better work are its gone, (the gun)
This week its been my prophet II compact 22 caliber with a 700 cc bottle, it wows me every 10 weeks , I had to replace the valve once and that sucked , Its got a LW barrel that is just as good as a CZ barrel and that say a LOT, But I paid for a RPB barrel and didn't get it, That really sucked ,
oops I think its a 500cc bottle , I put the 700cc bottle on the Prophet I ..
Mike

Balanced valves seem like a good idea, but the orignal Prophet, just did not need it.

Have you tried any of the RPB barrels in your P1 and compared the acuracy to a P2?
I bought a .25 RPB and it shoots very well in my Prophet Performance. I have not shot a P2 so I can not make a comparison.
Good idea, 👍
Next weekend I will try the RPB barrel on the P1.

The one thing I dint like about balanced valves that I'm aware of is the slow first shot. I'm not sure if all do but does seem like quite a few have stiction issues which for my shooting is unacceptable so I tend to stick to standard valved guns.

Not a lot different than minor reg creep. If you know about it, a dry fire or two and you are ready to go.

Reactions: Rubi513
I gotta say all of these posts and as far as I can remember Impact hasnt been stated. A few Crowns. I don't even think Panthera made the list. Alittle shocked to be honest. Unless I missed them. Also R5M hasn't been stated much maybe 1? I'd put that in my Top 3 airguns of all time with the Taipan Long and Evol as most consistent, accurate airguns I've owned
I would have expected my recently acquired R5M Long .25 to have been on my "accurate" list however, this is the best group I have gotten at 35yds. Not impressive compared to its little brother, the Lelya.

PXL_20240818_135552383.jpg

I would say my Taipan Vet 1 standard in .22 . Especially if durability is included. Complete trust in it to make clean kills or shoot small groups. My Vet shorty .177 is highly trusted as well . Easily my first choice for throwing in the back of the jeep and bouncing around in the woods.

But I have to say I picked up my Maverick .22 to take out a grey squirrel at 40y off the bipod and it put the 25.3g pellet exactly on point . No big feat but it had been setting for over a month . It's not as durable as the Vet but it does weigh a half lb+ less . It's a very accurate airgun when tuned properly for the pellet of choice and no problem with consistency when left alone.

I know how to fix/address cold shot issues as well, but the approaches are limited and not well rounded for all tunes, likewise, shouldn't they leave the factory with these mitigations in place, especially at their price point? Or nah, that is end-user issues?

-Matt

I know how to fix/address cold shot issues as well, but the approaches are limited and not well rounded for all tunes, likewise, shouldn't they leave the factory with these mitigations in place, especially at their price point? Or nah, that is end-user issues?

-Matt
It’s a common and now a sadly accepted end user issue. We buy guns, no matter the price point, then fix them. Fortunately there are a few we don’t.

It’s a common and now a sadly accepted end user issue. We buy guns, no matter the price point, then fix them. Fortunately there are a few we don’t.

Only if people remain complacent supporting the brands that produce this effect, time and time again, without resolve. Some are notorious, while others jump at the opportunity to improve.

If there are resolutions, and the community brings them to light, then future iterations should have them resolved, and the more of us that avoid such brands/platforms or voice such concerns, the more their bottom line will be effected, forcing their hand to introduce the resolutions.

As they say..."Be the change you want to see in the world"

-Matt

For me, it would have to be my Daystate Air Ranger in .22 caliber. It began life as a 50 FPE unit, but I eventually tuned it down to ~30 FPE and it is so much more pleasant to shoot - plus it only needs to be filled to about 2100 psi for a great shot string.

Since it is really accurate, I wanted to find out how accurate it really was, statistically speaking. One VERY calm evening that was so calm it was almost spooky, I went out and took 80 shots at individual bulls (paper target on smooth duct seal trap for perfect measuring) at 50 yards with no attempt to hold for the non-existent wind. I then measured each POI to 0.1mm to the best of my ability in both X and Y dimensions, then loaded them all in Excel for analysis.

I plotted the "80 shot group" both as shot, and again mean shifted for the slight offset that would be needed to truly center it. While there were no called flyers, an no shots were really bad, the effort really showed how weak using groups to represent accuracy really is. About 70% of the shots could have been covered by a dime, and there were no shots being worse than a 9 on the USSA 50 yard rifle target. The farthest shot, after mean centering the data, was 10.1mm off of the center point.

Of course I can't do even half that well in the wind, let alone off hand, but it shows what the gun can do in essentially indoor conditions.

Anyways, here is what the results looked like . . .

80 Shots at 50 Yards - USSA 50 Target - Air Ranger.jpg

It's a toss up between my FX Royale 500 (.25) or my Boss (.30). It's not uncommon for either one to put pellets through the same hole when checking my zero at 50 yards. Though I've owned both for a few years now they never cease to amaze me! (Picture: Boss in back, Royale in middle) 20240715_111529.jpg

Last edited:
HW100 .177 Bullpup. 3/8 in groups at 50 yards with no wind shooting from a rest with both forearm and butt braced (I am not capable of that degree of accuracy without a rest) using Crosman 10.5 gr round nose pellets. This was a one time event with no wind at all and the humidity at around 35%, which is very unusual for Alabama in July.