• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Where to begin

I'm thinking of getting started with PCP. I've got fairly extensive experience with powder burners and reloading, and I've played around with pumps and break barrels since I was a kid, but I know very, very little about PCP. Just reading through the forum tends to make my eyes glass over and my head spin. I'm retired military, pilot by trade, so I can handle the technical aspects as long as I can get a good foundation started. Any suggestions on where to begin the knowledge quest?

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
For some, finding total contentment with very few purchases might be a short journey. For me, I’m at 18 purchased guns. I’m not a collector, I’m just looking for that perfect gun for me. I have it down to three of what I believe are keepers as they seem to click all the boxes for me.
Good luck on your journey.

What is in/near CdA is arguably the best PCP airgun tuner in the world, Allen Zasadny. He’s a busy guy and a tremendous resource. So once you get a good pcp or two you’ll want to reach out and introduce yourself.

You will read about both slugs and pellets. I suggest you avoid slugs because you’re looking for downrange safety and slugs are barely better than 22LR in that regard. Also getting awesome results from slugs is much more difficult.
I would definitely reach out to Allen immediately and ask if he has anything for sale!
I have five rifles that he has built and they are all spectacular.
As dgeesaman said he is a wealth of information, and right next door to you!
Here’s the number for instant gratification lol! 319-327-4303

I'm thinking of getting started with PCP. I've got fairly extensive experience with powder burners and reloading, and I've played around with pumps and break barrels since I was a kid, but I know very, very little about PCP. Just reading through the forum tends to make my eyes glass over and my head spin. I'm retired military, pilot by trade, so I can handle the technical aspects as long as I can get a good foundation started. Any suggestions on where to begin the knowledge quest?
Welcome to the forum shipmate. I too am a retired Naval Aviator who has a tornado shelter full of very fine rifles and all the Forster reloading equipment. I was 70 years old when I joined this forum a couple of years ago, just trying to figure out what was PCP shooting all about. Where I needed to load up and go to the range or suitable private/public property to shoot my PBs, all I needed to do with a PCP was go out on the back porch and give the Starlings a what for. I second the recommendation to watch Matt Dubbers YouTube videos. His videos on the FX Crown convinced me to start with it as my first purchase. It is an outstanding rifle, highest quality walnut and steel, and could be an only PCP rifle for a normal person. But, I'm not normal . . . It is still a joy to shoot but I slipped down the rabbit hole and added 11 more guns to my collection. After all is said and done, I would recommend you stick with the top brand names such as FX, Daystate, Air Arms and BSA. I would also readily recommend you peruse the classifieds on this forum for well kept, unmolested models from these same manufacturers. If you like walnut and steel, traditional rifles you can't go wrong with these brands. If you still have some GI Joe wannabe in you, then FX is probably your best choice for the black plastic rifles. You will need a compressor and an air bottle or two. Don't skimp on the compressor.

Reactions: Rizz01 and Tohopko
I would definitely reach out to Allen immediately and ask if he has anything for sale!
I have five rifles that he has built and they are all spectacular.
As dgeesaman said he is a wealth of information, and right next door to you!
Here’s the number for instant gratification lol! 319-327-4303
I have a sneaking suspicion I might not be able (or at least willing) to pay the price for AZs work as a first PCP!

I have a sneaking suspicion I might not be able (or at least willing) to pay the price for AZs work as a first PCP!
He’s actually very reasonable in price!
I can’t say what he charges now for his custom shroud and a tune, but he sold me this awesome Theoben rapid .20 caliber with his shroud for $1600 several years ago.
Couldn’t hurt to give him a call! He’s really busy building a house and shop, but he also enjoys visiting with people about air guns when he’s able to.
Anyway best wishes on your search for a rifle! You are in for such a great time, enjoy the search and the rifle you get!

IMG_4876.jpeg

Didn't take long for the "Buy once, Cry once" crowd to trumpet the Kings New Clothes!

Seriously though, while there is definitely credibility to paying a lot of money for smoothness and polish, you may wish to dip a toe in first and see if this is a good fit for you before shelling out thousands of dollars for a gun too nice to hunt with.

We are living in incredible times as PCP technology, manufacturing profiency and quality have made leaps and bounds in the past few years to the point where a Chinese built PCP won the premier competition!

Don't fear the mid priced guns but do your homework, ask questions and spend wisely.

Then do the most important thing...

Go Have Fun!

Didn't take long for the "Buy once, Cry once" crowd to trumpet the Kings New Clothes!

Seriously though, while there is definitely credibility to paying a lot of money for smoothness and polish, you may wish to dip a toe in first and see if this is a good fit for you before shelling out thousands of dollars for a gun too nice to hunt with.

We are living in incredible times as PCP technology, manufacturing profiency and quality have made leaps and bounds in the past few years to the point where a Chinese built PCP won the premier competition!

Don't fear the mid priced guns but do your homework, ask questions and spend wisely.

Go Have Fun!
Bravo!

Reactions: Regulator

I'm looking at an inexpensive option to start (Urban, Notos, etc), but followed closely with something higher end once I've learned enough to be dangerous. I could even seeing buying the more expensive rifle now and just waiting until I'm a little more knowledgeable before doing much shooting with it. I need more starlings!
This post is why I even mentioned high end rifles.
As far as low end rifles go the Avenge X is a very accurate rifle. AZ has worked on plenty of them and told me the accuracy in .22 caliber is pretty incredible.
He’s so impressed by them that he’s going to get one for himself and that’s saying something.
He tunes them and makes the trigger sweet for people, and for him to be impressed with a low end rifle makes me a believer that there’s definitely a great value in some low end rifles.

Go Have Fun!
This is true. There is so much more out there now than when I got burnt on the cheapos over a decade ago. My entry back into these with my own self imposed rules from that most likely doesn't hold as much water as I think.
For this matter there is some stinking expensive stuff that's borderline junk. I was looking at getting one of the Turkish makes that pushes the 1.5 to 2k price range and found out that most of their fan base consider them an 80% rifle out of the box and have a list of upgrades and such that they need to be reliable. For that kind of money, nope...

This is true. There is so much more out there now than when I got burnt on the cheapos over a decade ago. My entry back into these with my own self imposed rules from that most likely doesn't hold as much water as I think.
For this matter there is some stinking expensive stuff that's borderline junk. I was looking at getting one of the Turkish makes that pushes the 1.5 to 2k price range and found out that most of their fan base consider them an 80% rifle out of the box and have a list of upgrades and such that they need to be reliable. For that kind of money, nope...
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I tend to buy moderately priced PB rifles (Tikkas), and I'm slapping a new custom barrel and stock on before the metal is cool, then spending an equivalent amount on glass. Trying NOT to get into the same modification chain with the PCPs (although I also do the same thing with motorcycles!)

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I tend to buy moderately priced PB rifles (Tikkas), and I'm slapping a new custom barrel and stock on before the metal is cool, then spending an equivalent amount on glass. Trying NOT to get into the same modification chain with the PCPs (although I also do the same thing with motorcycles!)
I love My T3 Lite! Coyotes hate it! lol

Reactions: Tohopko
I should clarify my last statement. I am certain I'll end up tinkering--but I don't want to pay a premium price and still have to mod and tinker to get it shooting right.

This thread has also turned on on a "what to buy", which was not my intent. In the military aviation field, we often learn aircraft systems by studying a system diagram and flow. Pretty basic to begin with, and getting more complicated as the knowledge grows. That's the sort of knowledge I'm seeking. How does the air flow? What does the hammer look like? Where does a regulator fit, and what does it do? What, and where, are the transfer ports, etc, etc

I was in a very similar situation recently. I have years of experience with powder guns and particularly rimfire and wanted to check out PCP stuff. I was hesitant to dive in given some of the idiosyncrasies involved with PCP stuff and my ignorance of how the operated and the vast number of options and opinions. That said, I finally pulled the trigger on an Airacuda Max and a cheap compressor to get started. It was very easy to get going with it and I immediately loved it.

The problem arose when I realized that I wanted more than the Airacuda could offer. So I ordered an Impact M3. Admittedly, I am an all-in type of person, but I don't regret the decision for a second, and actually wish I would have just started with the Impact instead of the Airacuda. Nothing wrong with the Airacuda, but the Impact is a bad ass machine.

Next I realized that I'd want more air for the range, so I bought a 6.8L air tank. Then I thought it would be amazing to have a more compact rifle to play with so I bought a used Panthera hunter compact.

My point in telling you all of this is to tell you that it is incredibly fun, it is a slippery slope, and if you are anything like me you'll want to start with something fairly high end. As far as where to go for info, you're in the right place, and I found that the best way to figure it out was to just get in the water (so to speak). I started tinkering with what I have and quickly picked up on the basics of the parts, function, and operation of a PCP rifle. Doing is often the best teacher in my experience. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

How does the air flow? What does the hammer look like? Where does a regulator fit, and what does it do? What, and where, are the transfer ports, etc, etc
Depends on the PCP. Some things are similar or the same across the board like transfer port location but other things like regulator location can vary based on design. A regulator does exactly what it name says it regulates the air pressure to the valve. It creates a constant air pressure to the valve at the setting of the regulator. With a non regulated PCP the air pressure to the valve drops with every shot and the pressure the valve sees will be what ever the supply is at. If the rifles air tank is filled to 240 bar thats what the valve will see so un regulated rifles work in a specific pressure window referred to as the bell curve depending on design and desired power output.

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods you can shoot my stable of rifles. The range I setup on my property can be shot from 25 yds to 100 yds. I dont own any unregulated rifles anymore but I currently own FX, BSA, AIR ARMS and have access to a Daystate I used to own that I sold to a buddy as well as a hatsan I used to own.

For under 400 bucks you can get an Airacuda Standard and an Amazon Handpump, this will give you a good idea about the PCP world.

The JTS Standard is a simple, lightweight, decent power, well made entry gun with a nice trigger and butter smooth side lever and can be tuned/adjusted for different power configurations easily and quick.

PCPs often have a steep depreciation. A few maintain / gain value but basically most PCP buyers buy new stuff and the secondhand market is pretty soft. Which is to say, a 5 or 10 year old PCP by Daystate or Theoben, tuned by Allen or someone else, can still be very affordable. And they will shoot!

If you do talk to Allen let him know you're looking at your first PCP so dollar value is very important. He may have something ideal hanging around and if it passed through his hands it will be a known quantity.

Unfortunately PCPs are not bulletproof. The o-rings eventually need changed (every few years perhaps) and so over the longer haul you'll need to change your own or have someone do it. Not a huge ordeal but something to keep in mind if you lean it in the corner and ignore it for a few years.

Personally, I'd take the advice of some on here and contact a reliable source for a known good used piece. This hobby is crazy. Among the things I'm into, Black powder, modern arms, metal detecting, these things, and was into RC airplanes till the corruptocrats all but stripped of the right to fly a toy on our own properties last year. What you get for the price points in this hobby is often striking and even decent the cheap ones are stinking expensive.
I know you don't necessarily want recommendations but. A new or used FX Dreamline or Crown would be hard to beat for a first one. Reliable, not too pricey, simple, tons of upgrades if desired, etc. etc..

For me it comes down to simplicity. I've found after far too many purchases I really don't like to tinker. I want to grab the rifle and have it do it's job 1st shot to last shot of the day. That has come down to a Vulcan 3 for me. It's a solid, powerful, and accurate platform that just gets it done every time. I had a couple Uragans that had the same reliability. Another thing I like is the solid and simple magazine system. Hard to beat these AGT rifles!!

Reactions: IndyDurtdigger
Can you share info about the target hanger?
Sorry it's been so long to reply.
I actually got the hanger from Walmart for $14.99. I love it. I wanna buy a few more to set up at 50, 75 and 100 yds. It IS expansive for larger targets. Just pull the arms out further. Just be sure to site in a new rig at 25 yds first. You'll notice that one of the clips are missing. Moved my scope from one gun to another and tried sighting in at 50 yds. No address or anything on the paperwork that came with it to order new ones.....