Which do you prefer?

It doesn’t matter what item there is (cars, bows, air gun, etc) you always have high end and low end. The common things to hear are “Until you have one this quality you don’t know what your missing” or “I can have 5 of these alternatives for what you paid for that one they do the same thing”. I can see the point of both sides because I have been on both sides of the debate. So the actual question is if you had to choose do you prefer to have 1 quality one or multiple of the lower quality ones?

I buy the best I can reasonably afford. If that happens to be top end, so be it. I also don't go buying expensive equipment meant for daily use by professionals when I might actually need that thing 2 or 5 times in my life for DIY projects. Stuff I use all the time is going to get every dollar I can throw at it.

It doesn’t matter what item there is (cars, bows, air gun, etc) you always have high end and low end. The common things to hear are “Until you have one this quality you don’t know what your missing” or “I can have 5 of these alternatives for what you paid for that one they do the same thing”. I can see the point of both sides because I have been on both sides of the debate. So the actual question is if you had to choose do you prefer to have 1 quality one or multiple of the lower quality ones?
one high quality . if i have to save $$ longer i will

Last edited:
Reactions: Richely and Ruzz
In my humble opinion with PCP's, the best one can afford for that one gun will make one smile more than a few more affordable ones. The fit, finish, quality of components. (think longevity if that matters to you), barrels, magazines and trigger all add up to an incredible shooting experience to me. I shoot almost daily and that day to day experience is very satisfying with higher end PCP's right out of the box.

Coming from the perspective of a (non-beginner) Springer competitor ( ie not a casual plinker),
I think at some point you make a conscious decision to analyze the equipment choices of top shooters. Usually those are higher priced quality equipment. In my experience, it's rare to find a quality, consistent, competitive piece of equipment or pellet at a lower price point.

If they do exist at a lower price point and is used successfully in competition, it's likely that a skilled gun smith/mechanically inclined shooter has highly modified the product and addressed most of the shortcomings of the product.

So to summarized, I buy quality...I buy another one for backup...then I test and shoot the heck out of them in practice and in competition. That's a lot of pellets down the barrel in a shooting season. Plus a lot of ranging at 50x from 10-55 yards on that parallax wheel, (not much wear on the turrets as I'm trying not to click and using only mil-hash to aim).

Unfortunately, there's no room for 2nd rate equipment in competition....OMG this makes me sound like an OCD shooter focused only on winning...

wasn't this supposed to be FUN???

(OMG I've lost my way... I'm spending money to be miserable...I DEMAND A REFUND...someone should start a return policy based on fun..Full refund if you didn't smile using our product)

Last edited:
I have 5 PCPs and none was over $500. I may buy a more expensive one someday just to see "what I'm missing" but I may not. I enjoy messing with my airguns to see what accuracy I can get from them. My most accurate, a P35 in 22 caliber, has shot a couple 199s in the 30 yard challenge. Competitive with guns costing 3X as much. I will be disappointed if I spend 3-4 times as much on a new one to find it is less accurate. But it will give me more power but I don't really need that for target shooting or small game hunting. It will probably be at least as accurate once I get it sorted. If I buy it.

I buy what I want that will do what I want it to do. If that means I spend more, that is OK. My other hobby is woodworking. There are many ways to make mortises for mortise and tenon joints (basically rectangular holes). I've tried several but now have a Festool DF700 - a $1400 tool that does a job I can do with other tools I already had. But the Domino does it quicker and more accurately so I bought one. I also drive a BMW convertible (and a Ram pickup). I've found the DF700 (Domino) handy in making wooden stocks for my P35s (I use it to do most of the inletting).

The big risk I see in the "buy the most expensive you can afford" approach is the quality is not always indicated by price. There is certainly not a linear relationship. 10% more money doesn't give you 10% higher quality. If spending more will give you what you want then great. If you have it spend it. But if spending less will also deliver what you want, I think spending more is just wasting money. But it's your money.

The big risk in my approach of buying cheaper guns is you may waste time and money. So far, from my perspective, that has not happened to me. All 5 of my guns work great for squirrel hunting and all but one works reasonably well for target shooting. My least accurate, a P35 in 25, has killed the most squirrels for me. I have a new barrel on order for it to see if I can improve the accuracy. May be a waste of money but it's money I can afford to risk. I find the process of making them work better to be a lot of fun.

I started with $400 guns and they do serve their purpose… then I wondered about what I was missing with the $1K guns… then I contemplated justifying spending $2K for a nice “high-end” gun… and now I find myself lusting over American Air Arms so I still have issues haha! I can tell you I rarely shoot any of the entry level guns anymore, but they all still function. Enjoy your journey!

Buy once cry once

so, i own a crown, wildcat, compatto, gauntlet and notos. since my notos is only a momth old, i have been shooting that mostly. otherwise i shoot them in this order based on frequency. so, i will take the notos out in this case since it has the new gun factor.
compatto. crown, wildcat. gauntlet hasnt been out for a while since at this time it doesnt have a scope.
to me, quality and price isnt better. i just like what i like for no particular reason. pretty sure my notos will end up in the top 2. i onlyshoot pests and hunt. no target shooting. too boring. compatto and notos fit my shooting needs better.

Depends on what I’m doing. If I’m shooting a match then I want a rifle that’s better than me but I won’t spend $4k when $350 gets all the rifle I need. Buying photo equipment is anther can of worms. I’ve done that professionally long enough to know that the more expensive flagship camera is generally the one that is the easiest to use. I don’t have to think about it, I just use it. For me, yeah that’s worth $3k+. It doesn’t mean I need to replace it every time a new generation comes out.

Rick H.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I apply the “two is one, one is none” adage to my guns. I want a backup. And will research and purchase accordingly… How about multiple quality items. Due diligence can yield such a result…

leonardo-leonardo-dicaprio.gif