Which do you prefer?

It doesn’t matter what item there is (cars, bows, air gun, etc) you always have high end and low end. The common things to hear are “Until you have one this quality you don’t know what your missing” or “I can have 5 of these alternatives for what you paid for that one they do the same thing”. I can see the point of both sides because I have been on both sides of the debate. So the actual question is if you had to choose do you prefer to have 1 quality one or multiple of the lower quality ones?
I have always been on the lower side...

From the time I was a small little child, I have had to make do. No, we weren't dirt poor or anything like that. However we were frugal.

That is so hard grained in me I still "make do" before I "buy".

Reactions: Perle
The great thing about most hobbies is the industries have figured out a way to satisfy all levels of interest and budgets.
In air guns, you can get a totally functional and reliable gun for what seems to me a very reasonable cost. They have come a long long way over the last 10 years or so.
If you can afford and desire a higher quality, higher performance or increased accuracy fro the commodity level it will cost an inordinate increase in price.
The extra is not for everybody but for me? I will pay the extra.

I tend to buy the best value, sometimes it’s on the cheaper end, sometimes the best you can get. I’m just starting in the PCP world and bought a used Marauder to complement my HW95 springer. I would like to have the most accurate rifle I can afford, but at this point in my learning curve, the Marauder is the best value. A year from now, that may be different.
Depends on what I’m doing. If I’m shooting a match then I want a rifle that’s better than me but I won’t spend $4k when $350 gets all the rifle I need. Buying photo equipment is anther can of worms. I’ve done that professionally long enough to know that the more expensive flagship camera is generally the one that is the easiest to use. I don’t have to think about it, I just use it. For me, yeah that’s worth $3k+. It doesn’t mean I need to replace it every time a new generation comes out.

Rick H.
I’m a professional photographer as well and completely agree. I do a lot of sports and wildlife, the only way I could get away with only spending $3k is buying used lol.

I started out with a P-rod and have gradually bought and sold many many PCP rifles over the last few years and most always graduating to the next higher price point or falling into the YouTube Hype [TRAP}. The two rifles that have remained in my possession the longest is the Air Venturi Avenger and an RTI Prophet LR. I have shot the most pellets through the Avenger to the point that it finally died. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned or shot. Yes, I might have won the barrel lottery with that one. I bought a new one to replace it but my old barrel was a tad more accurate so I put the old barrel in the new gun and gave the new barrel to my buddy to play with.

The Prophet has remained my main bench gun. There has never been another rifle in my possession that I could shoot more accurately than with the Prophet. So the others have come and gone only failing to knock it off its pedestal.

Sure you could drop a lot more money and start out with a Thomas but I am not sure Mike wants to sell his guns to a rather new shooter only to have his brand name show up at mid pack or worse in some really big matches. It just wouldn't shine a positive light on his brand and I think I would be very cautious to whom I sell products like his to given the same opportunity. A Thomas has been on my radar for many years and I finally ordered one a year ago. Having been shooting competitively now for a few years I think I am at the point that I can shoot that caliber of rifle to more of its potential. Having said that I would not suggest starting out with a custom top tier rifle until you have the skills to shoot it to its potential.

I do find myself shooting my Atomic ($1K) and Taipan ($1500) more for pleasure, and target practice around home and those guns continue to bring smiles to my wrinkly old mug.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I can almost guarantee this. If you put a fun meter on me shooting my three Impacts and on on JimD shooting his three Snowpeaks, there probably isn’t much difference. He might even be happier. Money can buy happiness, it just depends on how expensive your happiness is. But happiness is happiness. My keeping it simple PCP buddies are quite satisfied. Cheap gun or expensive. But none of them are internet airgun junkies. Places like this are good, but they can also ruin a guy if he loses perspective.

Perspective:

I have taken a couple hundred young Starlings this summer with a $250 Notos.

I have hit 2 ground hogs and 1 skunk with my AEA VARMINT. 25.

I have hit steel with my .30 Maverick.

I have low, mid and top tier but the right tool for the job trumps any other qualification for me.

I am never going to shoulder fire my #10 Maverick and I'm never going to benchrest my Notos and I'm not going to pry the lid off a paint can with my dividers.

The right tool for the job....

Reactions: Dairyboy
Buy nice or buy twice. This motto sticks with me.

I liken things to the way I look at tools. If I am going to use it often, I get something quality that will last. If its once or twice in a year, if I can get by with something less expensive I will. I purchased a $12,000 Snapon toolbox (I paid alot less but the value was there) It had the size I needed and the quality. I'm a professional. I knew it would last a lifetime and hold the tools I have. When we needed to work on a 767 several hangars over, those with cheap toolboxes searched for a forklift to move their box. I was usually working on the plane before they found a forklift, as I could move my toolbox with ease even though I had twice the weight of tools in it as the others. I've worked with others cheap tools and spent more time fighting the tool then actually working with them. Same with kayaks. Quality kayaks perform better than cheap box store boats. Too many get the cheap boats and think thats all there is. They dont get to fully enjoy it because they are limited by their gear.

I didn't want the same thing to occur when looking at rifles. I determined what I wanted/needed at first, and then looked to see what fit that. I went to a match and got to experience the atmosphere. It also changed what I was looking at as I hadnt considered 177 caliber. However after shooting HFT I was hooked and knew I needed at least one rifle for that. I got a Daystate Revere Safari and a BRK ghost as my starting rifles so that I don't need to replace them and I wont be held back by subpar equipment. I will likely add an avenge X as it appears to be a great value for the money. However I'm still determining which caliber to use and what need it would fulfill. There were many at the HFT match that had them and have been enjoying the avenge X. Even guys that were running redwolfs and alpha wolfs.

Another good piece of advice given was to spend more on a quality optic, as those can be moved to another rifle later on. This is spot on and I couldn't agree more. I always put quality optics on my firearms. I'll be doing the same with my air rifles.

There always has to be an odd man in any group, that would be me in this discussion, A, I like a challenge, B, I like simplicity, C, I usually root for the under dog, and I don't believe that quality always equates to expensive.
To save everyone's time and reduce the amount of hurt feelings I'll caution you, if you're a big fan of PCP air guns or if you are a gear snob you likely won't care to read on.
That out of the way, I own about a dozen or so air rifles and a few air pistols, most of my air rifles are Springers or Gas piston powered guns, most are break barrels, a few are pneumatic pumpers and a couple are Co2 powered, three of my rifles are in the $500.00~$700.00 price range, the rest are more budget friendly running between $99.00 and $230.00 dollars, all of my rifles have nice hardwood stocks and rich bluing, my three Weirauch built rifles are flawless in performance and accuracy.
My lower priced air rifles needed to have the cheap bundle scopes trashed and replaced, they also needed to have trigger work done to get the most out of their potential, most of the budget priced rifles give minute of squirrel accuracy at 30 yds. as expected, but a couple of them (a Hatsan mod. 95 .22cal. Springer and Crosman Vantage NP in .177 caliber) are of a build quality and level of performance well beyond their price points.
My point being, if one does his/her research when considering the purchase of a new air gun especially if you are new to air gunning you don't have to spend big bucks to get decent quality, fine performance, and great accuracy out to 50 yds. and under, and a gun that will take small game humanely.
As an aside, I respect the hell out of PCP air rifles, they are normally super accurate, have plenty of power, many are magazine fed and easy to shoot, and they are not hard on scopes, so why don't I own one, well, that where the challenge part comes in, most don't require much skill to shoot well, I like to know that when I get great scores it's because of my skills and not so much because my rifle is so forgiving that it covers my mistakes, and then there's the simple part, when I'm ready to shoot I like grabbing my rifle and a tin of pellets and get to shooting, I don't want to drag an air pump, compressor, or cumbersome air tank along with me, nor do I care to stop every few magazines and have to hook up an air line to my gun in order to continue shooting, more over I don't mind spending $600.00 for a nice rifle, I do mind having to buy over a thousand dollars worth of support gear to keep it running, that's why I love my Springers and my Gas Piston rifles.

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak
There is something called the Veblen Effect.

The more one pays for an item, the more one values it.

Genuine human reaction and one, that when looked at dispassionately, is, of course, balls.

My rifle has probably cost me 2.5K to get to where it is, and I’m a long way from done - but in my case (at least) it isn’t better because of what it has cost. It’s a flipping hobby FFS. A B2 can be fettled to be a very accurate shooter.

Spend what you wish - just ensure you are having fun! Sure, that mad Texan rig that was shown hitting at multiple thousand yards is beyond most wallets / engineering abilities / shooting skills but personally if my rig will take the back of a magpies head off at 30m reliably then that makes me a happy shooter.

Isn’t it one of nature’s horrible coincidences that magpies are both one of the most beautiful of Europe’s birds and one that I most love to put out for the scavengers for the damage they inflict on songbirds?

Last edited: