• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which rifle for Squirrels do you like the best?

If I am watching for squirrels in the yard, I generally use my HW100 .177. It's tuned down to under 12 fpe, so it's virtually silent, but still effective at the maximum distance of 30 yards or so. If I were hunting in the woods, I would probably take the FX Royale 400. It's not too heavy, very accurate, and never varies its POI. I guess I can say the same about the Daystate Revere, so maybe it's a tie.
Silent sounds like what I would like

RTI Prophet Compact .22 is my go to nutter getter.

48D87AD0-67B1-44F4-A4C9-159C1C49BAE6.jpeg

The last 27 squirrels were killed with one of these. I've had the 25 the longest and it's killed 18. It's detuned to 32 fpe. Makes a definite impact on squirrels. The only squirrels that ran after impact were shot into the front of the chest and the pellet stopped behind the back leg. One went about 12 feet and the other about 15. Not as accurate as the other two but it's accurate enough for most shots. The 177 has taken 5 and the 22 4. The 177 has not let any escape but a couple had a little life in them when the dog got to them. I will be trying harder for head shots with it in the future. The 22 has the same fpe as the 25 and shoots a 21 grain pellet and penetrates a bit further. No issues. It made a couple shots I'm not sure the 25 would have made. Only part of the squirrel was visible. The 4 it's taken were all DRT. For now, at least, it is my favorite.

But if I knew shots would come at short range I might take my little Prod. It has taken 15 for me and the last 11 after I bumped up the power a bit were recovered without issue. It's lighter than the P35s and accurate enough for shots within 30 yards which is about as far as I want to shoot it. The lower scope would allow me to not have to hold over at ~15-20 yards. P35s are better 20-40 yards. I'd trust the 22 to 50. But the high scopes mean they need a couple dots holdover at 10 yards and some all the way to 20.

p35s.jpg

Reactions: mackeral5 and GWTW
For squirrels, two diana 34s in .22, both vorteked and scoped. Out to 40 it's a done deal with cp pellets. When i want to go with open sights it's a steroided benji in .22 and jsb heavies shoot the best but range is a little shorter because of old eyes.
Back in the day(lol just a few years ago) used to hunt with a Panther 34, one sweet shooting springer via a Dave Slade trigger tune and a Vortek tune kit -

1682473155945.png

Not trying to step on toes lol, but I think you should be able to squirrel hunt without taking about a loan, I'm very much a budget airgunner. Qb79, bottle, scope and pump for less than $300 is plenty for tree rats if you want a pcp with lots of shots. But you can spend 3k easily if you want!

Back in the day(lol just a few years ago) used to hunt with a Panther 34, one sweet shooting springer via a Dave Slade trigger tune and a Vortek tune kit -

View attachment 351297
The panther is a great setup also. Seems i remember you posting on the old yellow with this? I still have mine but i had to relieve it of the big pickle on the barrel, lol.

Reactions: SteveV
Not trying to step on toes lol, but I think you should be able to squirrel hunt without taking about a loan, I'm very much a budget airgunner. Qb79, bottle, scope and pump for less than $300 is plenty for tree rats if you want a pcp with lots of shots. But you can spend 3k easily if you want!
Lol.. i was reading up and thinking the same thing . 150$ walmart gamo/ crosman vs $1000 pcp to kill a tree rat chewing on the bird feeder.. hmmmmm.... Lots a pricey suggestions for sure.

Same here. The most expensive air rifle I own is my Cayden. I don't hunt much with it because it's heavy and I'd rather use it on the bench. As I mentioned above, my favorite hunter is a Stormrider.

My go to killer is my gamo whisper fusion mach 1 .22 . It's lite, strong , hits where i aim, and my most comfortable sholdering gun. Aka. squirrel woods thug. Check gamo outlet for a 150$ referb.. no scoped .22. When in stock. They go fast when in. It'll lay the smack down on'em ..Whop! ..lol🤤

You dont see them other guys having one ?

Oh heck your in Arkansas.. how bout this you could check out The 2023 Arkansas Big Squirrel Challenge
Jan. 13, 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: GWTW