Other Which springer airpistols play nicely with ASG Blaster 4.5mm 0.13g plastic BBs?

I'm looking for a springer pistol. I'd like for it to be able to use the ASG Blaster 4.5mm 0.13 gram plastic BBs. I'm looking mainly at the Browning Buck Mark, Diana P-Five (Snowpeak SP500), and Umarex Trevox. Has anyone successfully used these plastic BBs in any of these, or other, pellet-only pistols? How was the fit in the barrel? I figure if they are too small I could use a piece of tissue paper as wadding. Is that a terrible idea? Also, does one need to be concerned about simulating dry-fire by using such a lightweight projectile? Thanks for your help.

Honest question, why does one want a smooth bore for BBs? I understand that steel BBs will potentially damage rifling, but these particular BBs definitely won't. Will a spinning BB fly less straight than one not spinning? Modern Daisy 880s use rifled barrels and they manage to be relatively accurate with steel BBs. Not sure how they do with plastic BBs.

okay the bottom line is they are way too light, the chances of you breaking a spring in a very short time would be good
but i will say i don't care what you do with what you own
and take the SP500 off your list it has to be complete redone trigger wise
the Diana 5g mag-P5 kicks like a mule with the right weight pellet
the Browning is cheap enough do your worst to that pistol
shoot pellets in pellet guns
shoot BB in BB guns
shoot plastic ammo in whatever gun it is made for
but again none of us should care

Do you happen to remember the Joule or Ft•Lb rating of the Baikal? Thanks.
It was a Baikal MP 651-K, approx. 1.8 ftlbs at around 60 degrees F. With steel bb's at 5.1 gr power was down to approx. 1.3 ftlbs, probably because of the leakage around the rifling.
What is your reason for wanting to try the blasters in a spring pistol? Maybe there is a better solution...

It was a Baikal MP 651-K, approx. 1.8 ftlbs at around 60 degrees F. With steel bb's at 5.1 gr power was down to approx. 1.3 ftlbs, probably because of the leakage around the rifling.
What is your reason for wanting to try the blasters in a spring pistol? Maybe there is a better solution...
Cheers. I want to do some 5- to 10-meter target shooting in a multiuse indoor space. I can't risk ricochets, and I don't want to introduce lead dust. I like the price of these plastic BBs, and I'm looking for an airgun, ideally an airpistol that is either a springer or a pumper, which works well with them. Maybe on account of the BBs being so lightweight I should immediately rule out springers. However maybe at powers of 2-5 Joules or so, this isn't a huge concern. I have no idea. Gamo says their springers can be dry fired.

I've read the sizing of these ASG BBs to be kind of midway between a steel BB and a lead one. So like around 4.45mm, though with siginificant variation. If I had to guess I'd say they'd fly straighter out of a tighter barrel than a wider one. So, straighter out of a pellet-only barrel than a dual pellet/bb barrel. I could be totally wrong about this. Where a smoothbore BB-only barrel would fit in, I wonder. Perhaps my assumptions about barrel diameter are off, comparing rifled, smooth, and pellet, bb, and dual ammo bores.

Your experience with the rifling destroying them is troubling. Maybe that would go away after a bit as the sharp edges got coated in a thin layer of plastic. I've seen a video of someone shooting the plastic BBs out of a Crosman 1377, and they seemed to be making it to the target in one piece. Accuracy, I have no idea.

Reactions: Modski66
Maybe is is just the Russki's that shred balls... :eek:

One thing about lightweight projectiles, they quite often lose accuracy the faster you try to make them go, as they have less inertia to overcome air resistance.
This might be a good reason for me to look for a multipump, as a way to be able to moderate the velocity of the projectile. Also, it might be easier to load than in a break barrel. Did you ever try loading the ASG plastic BBs in a break barrel pellet gun? I watched a video of someone trying to load them in a HW40 PCA and they just rolled out the other end. I'm sure some barrels are tighter than others, but maybe not many are so tight as to prevent one of these roughly 4.45mm BBs from just rolling through.

Not tried it in a break barrel, but I have a Webley Alecto and a FAS 604 I could experiment with. I have an 'Original' 6G break barrel that I could have a look at too, but would be careful about damaging the piston - your idea of using some form of wadding may have merit.
The advantage of SSP/MSP is that there is no risk of damage occurring to the mechanism. Is there a reason you don't want to consider a co2 powered airgun?

My best guess, if you happen to find a barrel that runs a bit tight, those plastic BB's may stay in place when chambered. Maybe.

Real question is how many guns are you willing to go through to find one with a tight enough bore? That ammo choice seems to be a niche within a niche category. I'd really go for something lower powered. If you want a pistol I'd lean towards a CO2 revolver/pistol that takes BB shells (cartridge type you put a BB in) or BB clips.
...or just get a multi pump rifle like a 760 or similar...

There used to be a bunch of clip feed Crosman pumpers (unfortunately not pistols), but only the M4-177 is still available currently if I'm not mistaken. The clips are 5 shot, should hold those ~4.45mm BB's within just fine, and if anything just keep the barrel level after you chamber a round.

If ricochets are a concern with steel BB's you don't have enough cushion in your backstop. Plastic BB's will probably have a similar ricochet risk also. Denim (old jeans) is a fantastic back stop material. If you don't have denim, any old sweaters, rags, towels or any cloths really will work. Then you just need a carboard box (or plastic tote) at least 6" to "8 deep to stuff your material in (for a lower powered airgun) and big enough for you to not miss. You may have to experiment with how densely packed your backstop needs to be. Not a bad idea to set your target trap box in another shorter box or tray of sorts, to collect any rounds that happen to spill/rebound out...

I like the idea of it all being self powered, as opposed to having to rely on buying CO2 cartridges. So PCP is definitely also an option.

How do you imagine a Diana Bandit would perform with these BBs? If I'm not mistaken, the Gen 2 version comes with a regulator than can be set as low as 100 bar. I wonder if at that pressure they would still fly faster than ideal. It comes with a 9 round magazine which looks like it would hold these BBs without issue.

I'm also considering the Umarex NXG APX, which is both a pellet and BB gun. It might be that these BBs fly well on somewhere between one and four pumps.

The guns you're considering, are they restricted to 7.5J (or about 5.5ftlbs) maximum?

I had concerns around sending a .13gram (about 2grain) projectile out at a very high velocity, but if the guns you are considering are restricted this is much less of a problem. To be truthful, I believe you're in mostly unknown territory (especially for those of us in the United States). You may have to try to pick what pistol you like best, then let others know how things went.

Stranger things...
The FAS 604 would not hold the Blasters in the breech, so I had to muzzle load after pumping up, velocity was around 625 fps, accuracy over 6 yards was not really any different to what I get with pellets.
The Webley Alecto, one pump was 655 fps, two pumps was 830 fps, and three pumps gave 940 fps.
Unfortunately I ran out of time to check accuracy, but the big takeaway for me was that it held the Blasters in the breech!
Also, no ball shredding occurred... 😜

Going to try the accuracy at the three power levels next time I get down to the shed.

Yes, I'm restricted to 7.5 Joules over here.

Modski66, thank you for giving this a try!
Your results so far are very impressive. I'm very curious what you find regarding accuracy in the Alecto.

Your result with the FAS 604 is also very interesting. Having to muzzle-load would be a pain in any gun, but the fact that you got a nice fps and solid accuracy despite the projectile being too small to sit stationary in the breech tells me that the range of airguns which may work (well) with these BBs may be bigger than expected.