Which would you prefer and why?

If FPE is similar, which would you prefer a lighter pellet moving faster or a heavier pellet moving slower. Inside 30 yards (my backyard) let's say for pesting. Gauntlet gen 1. .22 caliber.

I currently can push your standard CPHP 14.3 around 950. I bought a couple tins of Apolo slugs (21 grains and 25 grains). The 25 grains I got up to 700 fps, the 21 750'ish. I have no real need for the slugs. I'm just playing around trying to see what's the highest FPE I can get with this setup. Maybe i should try a pellet heavier than 14.3 CPHP....

Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Bandito
I've always preferred the heavier weight projectiles for any given caliber.

The heavier pellet will hit harder and penetrate better than a lighter one. Also a heavier projectile retains its velocity down range better than a lighter one of the same caliber. This is mainly an advantage at longer ranges.

I think I've got a solution in search of a problem. So far nothing has come along that CPHP hasn't been able to handle. I just needed a reason to buy more pellets and pull out the chrony...
At your stated within 30 yards distance? The CPHPs as you already well know. Its fun to experiment though, so go ahead and buy more pellets…🙏

My gun hates the CPHP's, it'll do a nickel size group or so at 25 yards, but, JSB/H&N/JTS all do 1 ragged pellet hole for me at the same distance.

I am super picky and if I can't hit a target equal to 200% of the pellet diameter at 25-30 yards, I consider that pellet meh. But for pesting, they would work, however I feel more confident using the aforementioned brands. Really doesn't break my wallet going from 1 penny per shot to 3 penny per shot.

Both my gun and myself really like 15.89 gr for close range, and for long range she loves the JTS 22 gr. Haven't messed much with 18.1 other than FX and she enjoys those too.

-Matt

My gun hates the CPHP's, it'll do a nickel size group or so at 25 yards, but, JSB/H&N/JTS all do 1 ragged pellet hole for me at the same distance.

I am super picky and if I can't hit a target equal to 200% of the pellet diameter at 25-30 yards, I consider that pellet meh. But for pesting, they would work, however I feel more confident using the aforementioned brands. Really doesn't break my wallet going from 1 penny per shot to 3 penny per shot.

Both my gun and myself really like 15.89 gr for close range, and for long range she loves the JTS 22 gr. Haven't messed much with 18.1 other than FX and she enjoys those too.

-Matt
Gonna have to check out those JTS.

I have that same rifle in 25 and a Gauntlet 2 in 25 also. Both shoot quite well and I’ve just been shooting whatever pellets I pick up. I think for pesting heavier is better and past 30 yards or so I would say mandatory for ethical shots. I have no need for pesting so it’s whatever target but both guns are minute of pest accurate out to 70 yards easily. For your needs I think heavier is better.

Rick H

Reactions: jmsdad