Which would you prefer and why?

My gun hates the CPHP's, it'll do a nickel size group or so at 25 yards, but, JSB/H&N/JTS all do 1 ragged pellet hole for me at the same distance.

I am super picky and if I can't hit a target equal to 200% of the pellet diameter at 25-30 yards, I consider that pellet meh. But for pesting, they would work, however I feel more confident using the aforementioned brands. Really doesn't break my wallet going from 1 penny per shot to 3 penny per shot.

Both my gun and myself really like 15.89 gr for close range, and for long range she loves the JTS 22 gr. Haven't messed much with 18.1 other than FX and she enjoys those too.

-Matt
These groups casually sent after work CPHPs at 25 yards, definitely “pests approved” out to 50 yards. Not bench rest groups, but good enough for this pesting and plinking fool… BRK Pathfinder, TP on low…
IMG_0151.jpeg

These groups casually sent after work CPHPs at 25 yards, definitely “pests approved” out to 50 yards. Not bench rest groups, but good enough for this pesting and plinking fool… BRK Pathfinder, TP on low…
View attachment 494211

Ahh, glad its not just my gun then. Thanks for sharing.

When people claim they shoot the CHPH's well I imagine close to 1 ragged pellet hole or one a few 100% within that pellet diameter. I suppose 'minute of squirrel' applies, and that I am just an accuracy snob!

-Matt

• Haha
Reactions: Wait_what
Some relativity and real world comparison from a Field Target shooter :unsure:

Based on a Max 20 fpe allowed power:
A 10.3 grain .177 many shoot at @ 900 fps +/- 20 fps or so. ( Power 18.6 to 19.8 fpe )
I shoot .20 cal with a 13.7 grain @ 800 fps ( Power 19.8 fpe )

Yes my .20 drops a lot more ( Loopier trajectory ) But has approximately 1/2 the wind drift !! showing a BC value of @ .040 to .044 :love:
The .177 10.3 only has a BC of @ .029 to .031 and does slow down more over distance & is more wind prone to move around.

Food for thought :rolleyes:

If FPE is similar, which would you prefer a lighter pellet moving faster or a heavier pellet moving slower. Inside 30 yards (my backyard) let's say for pesting. Gauntlet gen 1. .22 caliber.

I currently can push your standard CPHP 14.3 around 950. I bought a couple tins of Apolo slugs (21 grains and 25 grains). The 25 grains I got up to 700 fps, the 21 750'ish. I have no real need for the slugs. I'm just playing around trying to see what's the highest FPE I can get with this setup. Maybe i should try a pellet heavier than 14.3 CPHP....

Just thinking out loud.
I’d be more concerned about where a heavier pellet will ultimately end up

Reactions: coastal drifter
I'd shoot whichever is more accurate. Even when pesting, I wouldn't feel right about wounding an animal and having it suffer if it could have been avoided. Shot placement is always key.

I don't get the " close enough for hunting " myself . I want the most accuracy for clean kills and paying 1-2 cents more a round is well worth it to me . 16-25gr pellets work best in my hunting pcps . I hate wounding animals.

For 25-30 yards my Urban does ok with 14.3gr CPHPs at around 880 fps. The groups open up at 40-50y more than is acceptable, too me , for hunting. I am stocked deep for a doomsday situation and they do kill well . Just not my first choice in my higher power pcps or longer distances.

This target is at 25y .
20240607_101059.jpg

Im of the speed = penetration. Better a pass-through than bouncing off bone.

I disagree with that. All other things being equal, the heavier projectile will penetrate more than the lighter projectile. e.g., the 18gn pellet will penetrate more than the 16gn pellet out of the same gun with the same tune, even though the 18gn has a slower velocity.

To the OP: Pellet speed vs. weight is really a balancing act based on the situation. For me, in general, I almost always value a flatter trajectory to make targeting easier and minimize holdovers or turret clicks. This doesn’t mean that I always want to push pellets to the absolute max speed. But it does mean that typically if I have the choice between 700fps and 900fps, I’m going to go with the 900fps. And I will choose the gun that will give me that speed with the projectile weight that I want.

All things being equal would leave velocity and mass the same and the smaller projectile would penetrate further.

All things are not equal and thousands of ballistic studies, ALL of the ballistics manuals and any calculator you find online will tell you that speed = penetration.

It's more than a good idea, it's the law*.

*ballistics law

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
All things being equal would leave velocity and mass the same and the smaller projectile would penetrate further.

All things are not equal and thousands of ballistic studies, ALL of the ballistics manuals and any calculator you find online will tell you that speed = penetration.

It's more than a good idea, it's the law*.

*ballistics law

That's why I said all other things being equal, with it being clearly implied that the variables were the velocity and mass (my example of 16 vs 18gn pellets shot from same gun with the same tune). Your comment of "speed = penetration" does not apply in that very very common scenario, and likely would confuse people to think that the 16gn pellet would get more penetration than the 18gn simply because the 16gn is moving faster.

For hunting purposes (the crux of this thread), speed does not equal penetration. Momentum = penetration. The 18gn pellet would have more momentum and would get more penetration.