Since Scuba went to fill at 300Bar when I shoot it puts a little white smoke but it doesn't smell burnt or look like a diesel effect! It seems to be just the air coming out behind the pellet! Is it normal or not? Thank you very much
condensation warm or cool air suddenly mixing at muzzle. remember hp air expanding gets cold!

it is called frost.

Smoke is very different from frost, smoke lingers, and I have seen it and smelt it, frost dissipates much faster and is odorless...lmao. Plus frost isn't quite white, more grey, and much more transparent/light vs opaque.

TITLE: White Smoke...

If anyone questions the plume of air that airguns produce especially in cold weather, then we have all gone bonkers...

-Matt

I've had it happen here in Colorado where there is basically no humidity, its only 10-15% most of the time.

Personally I think its from excessive oil burning from the pellet. I've never, ever seen humid air itself go white...explain the science behind that please.

-Matt
I’m going with condensation. The air in the airgun is pressurized and cooled to room temperature. Then it’s suddenly released and pressure drops to atmospheric, and for a moment that cloud of air is cooler and below the dew point. Voila, instant cloud.

There was no odor of combustion or sound of detonation in my example.

I suspect the word smoke came in here by translation. Portuguese is the primary language for our friends in the azores. Muito bom.

David

I’m going with condensation. The air in the airgun is pressurized and cooled to room temperature. Then it’s suddenly released and pressure drops to atmospheric, and for a moment that cloud of air is cooler and below the dew point. Voila, instant cloud.

I suspect the word smoke came in here by translation. Portuguese is the primary language for our friends in the azores. Muito bom.

David

Plume from airguns is very different than the white smoke I have experienced, I have experienced both.

-Matt

Reactions: dgeesaman

David
Wow after this we all should take a trip to NASA and build a rocket ship to see if we can lol

There's an experiment like this I used to have my students do where they stand on sealed air filled 2 L Pepsi bottle with a little bit of water in it (and some smoke for particulate matter) for a while, and then open the cap - a cloud forms in the bottle, you can make a little puff of fog. Basically the same thing - standing on the bottle raises the pressure and temperature in the bottle which saturates the air with moisture. Jumping off the bottle causes a sudden pressure drop and cooling. water is condensing on the cold particulates exiting the muzzle in this case.

Last edited: