Who is using cant for wind correction?

ORV,
Feel some freedom created in looking at the rifles of our youth.
.22 RF's with sights SOOOO LOOOW to barrel your sight picture was @ 1/2" above bullets exit.
Is such cases where visual and actual trajectory was so close the effects of CANT were negligible at best.

CANT really becomes an effect worth noting when sight plane and trajectory path start getting separated to the amount of say 1 1/4" or greater. Yes about that height we start seeing optics / scopes in use.

No worries, No fret ... be as you are good man :love:

Since the wind drift is not linear with distance, and wind speed is variable, trying to use cant to compensate will get complicated. Now spin drift is approximately linear. From my 40yd zero out to 600yds, canting the scope in the rings by 1.7degrees CCW would almost perfectly compensate for the spin drift. That is something that I’m seriously considering.
I can imagine this concept of spin drift working well, if the sensor input calibration is fine enough and it can fit in a sight system. I can see this used in an app with auto adjust reticle. I'm looking for sensors that can give me that level of precision output. The new sight doesn't have a cant issue to correct for. This is why I like learning from all the posts. More questions are raised than answered. Would left hand rifling counter the natural drift of the northern hemisphere? Don't blame me for the crazy questions, you guys lead me there!

I can imagine this concept of spin drift working well, if the sensor input calibration is fine enough and it can fit in a sight system. I can see this used in an app with auto adjust reticle. I'm looking for sensors that can give me that level of precision output. The new sight doesn't have a cant issue to correct for. This is why I like learning from all the posts. More questions are raised than answered. Would left hand rifling counter the natural drift of the northern hemisphere? Don't blame me for the crazy questions, you guys lead me there!

Really depends how close to the equator or poles you are as well...way too complicated.

1727184466455.png

-Matt

Reactions: MRaccurate
Thank you Matt, for talking me off of that ledge! :ROFLMAO:

Yea, then add in twist rate changing the spin drift. Also the direction / azimuth you shoot INTO the earths rotation greatly matters. Definitely not a constant in every direction. Even your inclination angle will change the effect (vertical speed).

-Matt

Spin drift for most of us Pellet Gun shooters is an effect that does not come into play at the typical distance we shoot our air guns.
Extreme distance SLUG GUNS as Scotchmo is noted in building and shooting is a clear exception, and at those distances exceeding 200 -300 ++ yardages any input coming from Scotchmo i would listen to.

Just toss one into the dirt and let the gun calculate all that for you. It only matters if a miss once in a while breaks your heart.

I'd waste a nickel on a pellet to keep from having to calculate the possible errors.

I understand a guy dissecting all of this for competition or to gain a fuller understanding of external ballistics. Outside of that rarified environment it all makes little sense to me. If I have doubts about where my pellet will land I hunt closer or pass. It just seems a whole lot more fun than worrying about the details.

Kentucky windage is just a lot more satisfying than New York triggernometry for my purposes. I'll worry about the correolis effect when I'm hunting correolas.

Just toss one into the dirt and let the gun calculate all that for you. It only matters if a miss once in a while breaks your heart.

I'd waste a nickel on a pellet to keep from having to calculate the possible errors.

I understand a guy dissecting all of this for competition or to gain a fuller understanding of external ballistics. Outside of that rarified environment it all makes little sense to me. If I have doubts about where my pellet will land I hunt closer or pass. It just seems a whole lot more fun than worrying about the details.

Kentucky windage is just a lot more satisfying than New York triggernometry for my purposes. I'll worry about the correolis effect when I'm hunting correolas.
Theory is what drives the world. I don't expect that I'll ever use all of it, but it might surprise us in the future what we get to implement. I notice that many try to achieve for accuracy the lowest vertical offset for their sights, but not many ever achieve 0" vertical offset. I'm not sure that anyone would want to. If we don't think theory, we may not improve. I thank all that contribute to theory. Just my thoughts!

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
Theory is what drives the world. I don't expect that I'll ever use all of it, but it might surprise us in the future what we get to implement. I notice that many try to achieve for accuracy the lowest vertical offset for their sights, but not many ever achieve 0" vertical offset. I'm not sure that anyone would want to. If we don't think theory, we may not improve. I thank all that contribute to theory. Just my thoughts!
Without theory nothing gets developed.

I agree 100%. I'm just giving you guys a hard time.

Some guys break it down with science. Some with art. It's just a different means to the same ends.

A guy that has a firm grip on the factors that affect his pellets flight will surely shoot better than some hillbilly winging it. I fully understand and acknowledge that. I just like to poke fun at others for their obsession with details. It makes me feel better about my own.

I couldn't hit a correola at 25 yards with my Hatsan anyway.

Just before I broke my wrist I used it a bit. I need more practice but it surely works. It will be a few months before I can shoot again so for now I cannot give specifics about it other than canting in the direction the wind is blowing from. The amount of cant I still need to experiment with.

Anybody with experience with it?

Do whatever it takes for you to get your projectiles to hit where you want.

Make it to a podium using your obscure canting method and the next day it will be the new craze. You'll go from fool to genius in an instant.

The best shooters in the world rely more on intuition than book techniques. Your cant method sounds like it fits more into that intuition category.

Do whatever it takes for you to get your projectiles to hit where you want.

Make it to a podium using your obscure canting method and the next day it will be the new craze. You'll go from fool to genius in an instant.

The best shooters in the world rely more on intuition than book techniques. Your cant method sounds like it fits more into that intuition category.
some people shoot from the hip pretty damn good.

so kinda leaning into the shot?
i'd be interested to know more

I had a similar thought ..but it wasn't with the cant.
You know how when you flush a toilet in the northern hemisphere, the water goes clockwise while in the southern hemisphere it goes counterclockwise.
Do right twist barrels do better in the northen hemishpere and left twist perform better in the south?
I cannot believe no one else caught this
Northern hemisphere drains and toilets are CCW

Reactions: coastal drifter
Reactions: drpietrzak
It is a simple trick that even Gun shooters can use. Again, JMO. Before people come running trying to disprove Me with Algebra and other Formulas! LOL
Your method actually results in a very good approximation of the correct holdover. It's not exactly right as the projectile will slow down more over the longer path to the target than it would over the shorter distance to the tree, but in my experience it's quick and easy and close enough.