HW/Weihrauch Who shoots 22 Weihrauchs at 50 yards or more?

If you are shooting a true HW rifle and not the Beeman then I have a hint for you. Although HW and Beeman are of the same design, the barrels are drastically different......so I speak only of mainly the HW95 or HW80.
Cheers Kit
Hey Kit,
I've never owned a Beeman/Weihrauch in .22 caliber, but I cannot believe the sole manufacture of both (Weihrauch) - would tarnish their reputation by using inferior barrels on a product bearing their own name :unsure:.

Beeman guns traditionally were marketed for the American market and were equipped with a more deluxe, streamlined stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
If you are shooting a true HW rifle and not the Beeman then I have a hint for you. Although HW and Beeman are of the same design, the barrels are drastically different......so I speak only of mainly the HW95 or HW80.

This is a set of expensive pellets, however it has been my experience that using them allows me to shoot sugar cubes at 50 yards and on average get three out of five and on a good day when I am relaxed and not distracted 5/8 inch groups. All other pellets will be from 1.5 to 2 inches except the Hades that is very accurate for a lead pellet, however it is so slow the shot curve is extreme.

So I use two No Lead pellets, the 11.75 GTO and the 12.96 Barracuda Green. In my tuned HW95 with the Vortex 4 steel both of these pellets exceed 800 fps and the Barracuda Green also puts out 19 fpe at the muzzle, but mainly these are two very accurate pellets in almost any HW rifle. They are not cheap, and cost around 30 bucks for a tin of 200. Some of my match .22 rimfire are a couple pennies cheaper.

I also shoot with only the forearm rested , and I can tell with age that the ability to hold a rifle steady and still is hit or miss, some days I can, some I know in a shot or two , not today!!

Any way try the GTO and the Barracuda Green, In my 95 the GTO is 860 plus fps, and I forget what the Barracuda Green is.

Be careful with these pellets, they will depending on what you shoot, sometimes bounce right back at you.

That feller Steve somebody?? The one who used to review lots of guns and conduct the give away on this site did a review of the HW 95 and he found also that the GTO was his best pellet . That review is on Youtube if you care to do a quick search for it.

Cheers
Kit
Thanks. What's different between a Beeman and a HW barrel? One of my 22s is a HW95 Field Pro. The other is a R1 with a modern 22 HW replacement barrel. It was originally 177. Hate that gun in 177.

Thanks. What's different between a Beeman and a HW barrel? One of my 22s is a HW95 Field Pro. The other is a R1 with a modern 22 HW replacement barrel. It was originally 177. Hate that gun in 177.
I am not a gun designer so.........all I know is that when you get used to the HW brand and happen to acquire a Beeman such as the R9 the search for pellets starts all over and I have never seen the Beeman rifles even come close to liking NO LEAD pellets. I tried and tried every pellet I could find in my R9. It was a nice rifle however I never did find a pellet that would do much more than 1.5 inch groups at 50. (.22 cal)
No Lead pellets are great in HW rifles, no so much so in the Beeman. So that tells me something is different, and one obvious difference is the tightness of the pellet when you load one into the breech. Are the bores a bit bigger also? Is the rifling different, a different depth......I do not know and never got that critical and simply sold the R9.
Cheers
Kit

Hey Kit,
I've never owned a Beeman/Weihrauch in .22 caliber, but I cannot believe the sole manufacture of both (Weihrauch) - would tarnish their reputation by using inferior barrels on a product bearing their own name :unsure:.

Beeman guns traditionally were marketed for the American market and were equipped with a more deluxe, streamlined st
No sure if Weihrauch has made the Beeman brand in some time, the R7 and R9 are imported by Air Venturi, and most other Beemam rifles are made in china and marketed under the marksman name.

So yep Beeman was designed for the American market, just who actually makes them is not real clear. It would take quite a bit of time to investigate it and find the answers, not a task I am even remotely interested in.

Kit

I am not a gun designer so.........all I know is that when you get used to the HW brand and happen to acquire a Beeman such as the R9 the search for pellets starts all over and I have never seen the Beeman rifles even come close to liking NO LEAD pellets. I tried and tried every pellet I could find in my R9. It was a nice rifle however I never did find a pellet that would do much more than 1.5 inch groups at 50. (.22 cal)
No Lead pellets are great in HW rifles, no so much so in the Beeman. So that tells me something is different, and one obvious difference is the tightness of the pellet when you load one into the breech. Are the bores a bit bigger also? Is the rifling different, a different depth......I do not know and never got that critical and simply sold the R9.
Cheers
Kit
Beeman is a split brand some of the newer Beemans are from Weihrauch Germany. Most are made in China. They're all clearly marked where they're made. I'm not sure your sample size is large enough to claims differences in quality.

I own 8 Weihrauch branded rifles and 2 German made Beeman R rifles and a Pistol. I've also worked on dozens of other people's Weihrauchs. It's actually been a mixed bag of Beeman R and HW rifles. I consider them all Weihrauchs because I've never noticed any difference in quality between them. Styling yes. Quality No. In that time I've seen bad HW branded barrels in 177, 20 and now possibly 22.

Because one gun doesn't shoot tin pellets well isn’t necessarily indicative of an entire brand. You may have fine results with lead pellets.

Both of my 22s have HW barrels on them. Neither of them shoot better than your R9 at 50 yards. Does that mean all 22 cal HWs are bad?

As much as believing that would simplify my situation, I know it's not true. I've seen plenty of good shooting 22 Weihrauchs and Beemans. I will say that it seems the Weihrauch (& Beeman) 22 barrels vary more in accuracy than the other calibers. Hence SpiralGrooves experience. Some 22 Weihrauchs only seem to work well with larger head sizes and stiffer skirts. It's possible that some are cut on the larger side of tolerances. But it's not separated by brand.

Again I think you need a larger sample size to make a claim against a brand.

Be well.
Ron

No sure if Weihrauch has made the Beeman brand in some time, the R7 and R9 are imported by Air Venturi, and most other Beemam rifles are made in china and marketed under the marksman name.

So yep Beeman was designed for the American market, just who actually makes them is not real clear. It would take quite a bit of time to investigate it and find the answers, not a task I am even remotely interested in.

Kit

It's real clear who makes the R9. It's Weihrauch. In Germany.

If there is any doubt about it in your mind then you can feel confident in knowing now.

Yes, Beeman imports Chinese made rifles. They also import Weihrauchs from Germany.

I've owned both. The stock is the only difference. The rifles are all made in Germany to the same specifications.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I get excited when I pop up on here and see Ron shooting 22’s!!!! I was also surprised that browsing through 3 pages of posts nobody mentioned different pellets. Try the JSB 14’s , 15’s , and 18’s. Also the FX in 15 and 18. FTT are great for me in most of my 22’s sub 40. Passed that they do silly things. And if the 14’s work don’t be surprised they’re shooting 2ish FPE less than the FTT.

I am not sure with .22. The folks I shoot with are getting similar to what I get with my TX200. A 97, Diana and my TX200 are all about the same. A little under an inch at 50 yards. There is a lot of pellet testing, sorting and magic sauce if you hear us gossip. It is really sorting that plays the biggest role once you find the right pellet.

I am not sure with .22. The folks I shoot with are getting similar to what I get with my TX200. A 97, Diana and my TX200 are all about the same. A little under an inch at 50 yards. There is a lot of pellet testing, sorting and magic sauce if you hear us gossip. It is really sorting that plays the biggest role once you find the right pellet.

And this is why I stepped back

I get excited when I pop up on here and see Ron shooting 22’s!!!! I was also surprised that browsing through 3 pages of posts nobody mentioned different pellets. Try the JSB 14’s , 15’s , and 18’s. Also the FX in 15 and 18. FTT are great for me in most of my 22’s sub 40. Passed that they do silly things. And if the 14’s work don’t be surprised they’re shooting 2ish FPE less than the FTT.
Hey. Great to see you on here again. I was hoping you'd chime in. I know you shoot these things 50 plus regularly. I'll have to try the JSBs and the FX clones again. I stopped using them a few years ago because none of them as you mentioned make the same power as the FTTs. At shorter ranges the FTTs had better accuracy. I can get one ragged hole occasionally. I never got around to trying JSBs at longer ranges.

Now that I have room to shoot further than 25 yards I'll have to revisit the JSBs.

Oh I was also turned off at the amount of deformed skirts in every JSB tin. That was no matter how well they were packed. I presume its because of their thin skirts. It's that still an issue?

Hey. Great to see you on here again. I was hoping you'd chime in. I know you shoot these things 50 plus regularly. I'll have to try the JSBs and the FX clones again. I stopped using them a few years ago because none of them as you mentioned make the same power as the FTTs. At shorter ranges the FTTs had better accuracy. I can get one ragged hole occasionally. I never got around to trying JSBs at longer ranges.

Now that I have room to shoot further than 25 yards I'll have to revisit the JSBs.

Oh I was also turned off at the amount of deformed skirts in every JSB tin. That was no matter how well they were packed. I presume it’s because of their thin skirts. It's that still an issue?

There are less deformed skirts now than in the past few years but not as solid as the FTT’s those things are like tanks and shoot great at short range. I never did the BC test on the JSB’s like we did with the .20 cal but the extra pound or so at the muzzle for the FTT’s runs out really quick compared to the JSB’s.

I tried the JSB 14.35 in my HW95 at 50 and it was an exercise in futility. I couldn't pattern them in the least. They'd jump up and down and all around 7" plus spread. I might have run out of elevation with them? At least the FTTs group and respond to scope adjustments.

Then I dropped back to 25, made proper adjustments and shot a couple loose groups with the FTTs to confirm. I shot 4 poor groups with the JSB 14.35s and two similar groups with the cheapo Excite Hammers. Then rechecked me and the rifle with a more typical FTT group.
20240909_180248.jpg

I'll have to recheck my barrel angle and scope adjustment range. If I'm close to maxed out at 50 it would explain the inconsistent results. I'm having similar issues with both my Hw95 and R1 but I am running the same pellets and scopes on them. The R1 is only running about 25-30 fps faster.

Oh well I'll figure it out.

Well Mined you, all my efforts are with my forearm resting in my left hand, on top of bags. I am only interested in the best accuracy for the way I shoot them, and mostly that is using anything I can find around me to steady my springers, from the HW77K,,,, (match to that mean green L.E. of Cappies) to the 54 Diana!
1000002338.jpg

My 77K is good for around 1" when shooting 5 shots, but it grows to around 1 1/2" when I shoot 10 shots. I get considerable better groups with the 22cal in my 54 Diana! It will give me 1/2" at 50 yards for 5 shots on occasion, when I do my part and no wind! but 10 shots are pretty easy keeping around 3/4" to 1" on most days. Now this using heavier pellets, with the Diana using 18 grain and heavier pellets, the 77K does best with 14 ish grain FTT, AA, and JSB domed pellets. But Diana shines at 50 and beyond. The AA group has 2 shots from my 6mm on it on #15 target, high right and high left, all bulls 1"6
1000001560.jpg

Now speaking of heavier pellets this where the 177 fail when the wind comes into play, My 77K may shoot better on or as good on a calm day, the at 50 yards and beyond, the 22 takes over best accuracy when the winds hit 5 or more mph, even less when they are switchy! The 177 does not dance with the 22's in any reasonable wind.

Last edited:
I tried the JSB 14.35 in my HW95 at 50 and it was an exercise in futility. I couldn't pattern them in the least. They'd jump up and down and all around 7" plus spread. I might have run out of elevation with them? At least the FTTs group and respond to scope adjustments.

Then I dropped back to 25, made proper adjustments and shot a couple loose groups with the FTTs to confirm. I shot 4 poor groups with the JSB 14.35s and two similar groups with the cheapo Excite Hammers. Then rechecked me and the rifle with a more typical FTT group.
View attachment 495167
I'll have to recheck my barrel angle and scope adjustment range. If I'm close to maxed out at 50 it would explain the inconsistent results. I'm having similar issues with both my Hw95 and R1 but I am running the same pellets and scopes on them. The R1 is only running about 25-30 fps faster.

Oh well I'll figure it out.
I found some tins JSBs to have really poor QC. Lots of damaged pellets. This doesn’t seem to afflict the Heavy or RS types nearly as much as the 14 or 16gr pellets

Now speaking of heavier pellets this where the 177 fail when the wind comes into play, My 77K may shoot better on or as good on a calm day, the at 50 yards and beyond, the 22 takes over best accuracy when the winds hit 5 or more mph, even less when they are switchy! The 177 does not dance with the 22's in any reasonable wind.
That makes perfect sense. I would expect exactly that. Some how my Hw30 bucked my 22s in the same slight breeze. I normally don't normally shoot groups with the 30s at 50 but I was so frustrated with the 22s shot these two groups for ships and giggles. It's one and half Mil hold over with AA 7.9s. Even using the reticle for hold over it still shot pretty darn well for a 8 fpe gun and 8 gr pellet. They might both fit under a quarter ctc. I'll check when I finish the target.
IMG_1756.jpeg

Here you can see the whole board. Notice My how heavily molested my jumbo lever gun targets are from sighting different brand 22 pellets.
IMG_1757.jpeg

Last edited:
Late to the party, but I rarely get the opportunity to stretch the legs on my springers. HW95N with Vortek 12ft-lb kit, 50yds, rested, 12x scope, JSB 14.35gr- untested, unsorted, just as God intended.. two groups right at 1.2”, one at .640” that could have been really sweet. Then I thought of Mr. Bedrock and took five shots at shotgun shells, standing. I never, ever practice standing since there’s just so much stuff to rest a gun on lol! One graze, one direct hit, and three pellets off in space.
IMG_3523.jpeg
IMG_3524.jpeg
IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3522.jpeg