N/A Who shot their .177 today ?

What do you do with those iguanas? Can they be skinned and tanned, made into watch bands and belts? I understand they're delicious too.
Yes to everything that you mentioned and more. I'm friends of a guy who is making and selling bic lighter covers out of them as well as rings.

I had a local stock expert do it. The Thomas action is quite simple: a 1.5” round channel inlet with a box cut for the trigger group and a slot for the loading port. I almost considered attempting it myself but I’m glad I didn’t because fitting a trigger guard against the GRS style handgrip was more difficult than it seemed. He installed a UIT rail too.

I have a MEC Contact III butt plate that I think I can directly bolt into the GRS adjustable butt system. Hope to finish that tonight. Then I’ll choose a hamster and it should be fully ready for field target.
@dgeesaman - all said and done, how would you change the stock now that you are cohabiting with it? You said weight wise it’s a porker.

I had a local stock expert do it. The Thomas action is quite simple: a 1.5” round channel inlet with a box cut for the trigger group and a slot for the loading port. I almost considered attempting it myself but I’m glad I didn’t because fitting a trigger guard against the GRS style handgrip was more difficult than it seemed. He installed a UIT rail too.

I have a MEC Contact III butt plate that I think I can directly bolt into the GRS adjustable butt system. Hope to finish that tonight. Then I’ll choose a hamster and it should be fully ready for field target.
Picture?

We shot several rounds of "Chicken Little " at our monthly match this weekend...

The EVOL 177 rose to the occasion and we took home the money on the one where there was a cash pot. Several people used it pretty successfully in some of the rounds.

We shot 50, 60, 70, and 80 yards with our sub 20 ft lb rifles on a ram, turkey, pig, and two chickens at each range. Then changed it to 3 chickens at each range. Those chickens at 70 and 80 in switching wind are pretty tough. We shot from any ft position and everyone were on stools and sticks I think. Went through just short of a tin of pellets with the EVOL... TON o fun !

View attachment 481796
Bob
@Arzrover - ok ok now I’m jealous - a .177 EVOL!

@dgeesaman - all said and done, how would you change the stock now that you are cohabiting with it? You said weight wise it’s a porker.
1) Shorter length of pull to get the weight closer to my body and better allow Open style shooting positions with my arms and shoulders wrapped around the gun. About the only way to do that without fully butchering the GRS adjustable features is to shorten the butt plate itself, but that should get at least an inch.
2) Cut about 3” off the stock fore end. It serves me little purpose in field target.
3) Purchase new or modify my scope mount to shift the scope further rearward. First to put the eye box comfortable. Second, to get the substantial weight of the scope closer to my body.

I would have gotten some of this by starting with a lighter and more compact GRS design like the Sporter. But this was also a crime of opportunity because EuroOptic had this flat top Hybrid blank at closeout pricing and I already had a couple of Hybrids that I could line up and envision how the Thomas would fit. The wide cylinder wasn’t going to fit within most stock fore ends.

The 3” block is only for bench shooting. The entire adjustment butt assembly is also currently removed. I should sit down now and work up the 3D model of a suitable butt plate.
Edit: added closeup showing the adjustable butt plate in place.

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

Last edited:
1) Shorter length of pull to get the weight closer to my body and better allow Open style shooting positions with my arms and shoulders wrapped around the gun. About the only way to do that without fully butchering the GRS adjustable features is to shorten the butt plate itself, but that should get at least an inch.
2) Cut about 3” off the stock fore end. It serves me little purpose in field target.
3) Purchase new or modify my scope mount to shift the scope further rearward. First to put the eye box comfortable. Second, to get the substantial weight of the scope closer to my body.

I would have gotten some of this by starting with a lighter GRS blank like the Sporter. But this was also a crime of opportunity because EuroOptic had this flat top Hybrid blank at closeout pricing and I already had a couple of Hybrids that I could line up and envision how the Thomas would fit. The wide cylinder wasn’t going to fit within most stock fore ends.

The 3” block is only for bench shooting. The entire adjustment butt assembly is also currently removed. I should sit down now and work up the 3D model of a suitable butt plate.

View attachment 484898
Thanks for the truly great info.

I would have gotten some of this by starting with a lighter GRS blank like the Sporter. But this was also a crime of opportunity because EuroOptic had this flat top Hybrid blank at closeout pricing and I already had a couple of Hybrids that I could line up and envision how the Thomas would fit. The wide cylinder wasn’t going to fit within most stock fore ends.

View attachment 484898
@dgeesaman are you able to share who did the stock work/inletting?

@dgeesaman are you able to share who did the stock work/inletting?
It’s a local guy who doesn’t have a public-facing business. He’s done stock work for a local short range BR gunsmith. He’d never done anything with airguns before. I got connected to him as a favor.

While his work is excellent I do believe any good gunsmith who does stock inletting would have little trouble doing the same.

Reactions: cavedweller
Anyone else been stupid busy at work this summer? Work and weather have kept me away from the triggers lately. But I got out today and shot the Mrod with aperture sights and 13.43gr JSBs. That thing is just magic to shoot! There's a lot of "gut feeling" or intuition that goes into picking off bottle caps at 20 to 30 yards. But once you "get it", it is both simple (which isn't to say easy) and highly satisfying. I can see the target, but generally, not the hits. Bottle caps make a nice muted "tap" noise when hit but sometimes I'd swear I missed for not hearing that noise, only to find out I was putting two or three pellets through the same hole. Like I say, magical. Sadly, she's a hunter and not a light drinker, so I left her half full in case I need to whack something. Then I switched to the Dreamtac worked out the kinks in my 8.44gr JSB tune. Before packing it in, I managed a mag dump (22 shots) group of about 3/8" at 25 yards. Hope you other .177'ers are doing well!

Reactions: Florida_Man
I shot my HW100 today in the backyard. It's tuned to a bit over 11 fpe, and is the perfect urban yard rifle. Every time I shoot it, I realize how badly we have screwed up the US market by demanding high power. We have bastardized a perfect system by forcing it beyond its intended purpose. As a result, we will soon have a class of firearms, air powered, that are so classified, and subject to all the same regulations. Sometimes we outsmart ourselves.

I had this one out early yesterday morning. First shots since the stock, moderator, and shroud were added. Also trying new pellets. I’ve been shooting a lot of .177 lately.

View attachment 479220

View attachment 479221
How’s the weight factor?
Uncomfortably heavy. I will be putting it on a diet and trying to pull the weight back towards my torso. Total weight is 13lb 12oz right now. The Thomas barreled action with a 24” long barrel is almost half of that, but the 60oz of scope and rings sure don’t help.

The stock is a GRS Hybrid, which is more of a prone stock design. The length of pull is currently over 14” with the MEC Contact III adjustable buttplate. My first step is to remove that and do a 3D printed butt plate designed around my preferred adjustments, with an absolutely minimal length of pull. I failed to account for the curled up shooting positions of field target and used standard length of pull sizing.

Then I’ll see where my eye position is. The scope rail may need to be lengthened to bring it back further.
my Thomas is at 13 lbs as shown
IMG_8065.jpeg

it will also shoot pellets very well
Same go for the CZub barrel in my Two, shot A LOT 1 hole 5 shot groups at 30 M in the past 2 days, got boring very fast.
Also a couple of 1 hole groups at 55 M, but much harder, not least as by yesterday i was down to secondary pellets ( the Two seem to like the JTS dead centers very much )
But crosman domes and JSB Heavy also work sort of OK at shorter ranges, just my regulator are at Min setting ( 53 BAR ) and so i can not get under 930 fps with the " lighter " 4.5 mm pellets.
Slower i am sure would NOT hurt, but all i can do is choke off the valve so it close faster, and i dont want to do that for a pit of pellet fun.

Now shooting 93 M with 10.something grain pellets,,,,,, that is not easy, well if you aim to hit a 2" target in the wind, but in a lul you could get a few in there, that be a few in a row,,,,, with 4.5 lines hold over.

Reactions: SorenDrost
How’s the weight factor?

my Thomas is at 13 lbs as shown
I have the 3D printed butt plate that saves both weight and length of pull.

Next month when I’m available I’ll order a setback scope ring set because the scope still doesn’t come back to my eye. I’m also going to cut off some excess forend from the stock.

I think the Thomas FT stock balances better. What’s the shortest length of pull on those?