Why do so many people find the Classified Rules hard?

I don’t want to rant, but…

I’ve been reading a number of posts lately which start out wondering why the individual can’t reply to the Classifieds. Fine. I understand why that can catch one out at first.

What I don’t understand is why, after they get the rules pointed out to them, a significant number (not all) then go on to complain that they want to sell stuff, and buy stuff, and why should it take so long, and blah, blah, blah.

When I first found AGN I lurked because it was a treasure trove of knowledge and information about airguns. Then I joined because I had a few questions and needed to be a member to ask them. I found people to be most helpful, especially if you made it clear that you were asking questions because you did not know stuff, and you wanted to learn and get multiple opinions. As a result, by the time I discovered the Classified section I was well past 10 posts. My first purchase on here was from Douger. He was helpful in explaining to me how it worked (You mean I have to pay you first, by PayPal, and THEN you send me the stuff? How do I know it will be sent? Etc., etc.). I learned about feedback, and how to check for people’s reputation. I still have that first scope I got from him and I haven’t looked back since. I’ve bought and sold a ton of stuff over the last couple years with no issue. I am careful About who I buy from, and who I sell to, but generally if you avoid the obvious scammers things go smoothly.

Honestly folks, it ain’t that hard. I really encourage everyone new person to place the emphasis on the knowledge and advice available, and only secondarily to focus on it being a shopper’s/seller’s paradise.

Chris

EA580DC6-4049-4FBC-B0BD-F279F39A4AE7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: SHOMER
We live in an instant gratification style world. If people can’t get what they want when they want it, they get upset. The classified rules are here to protect us as much as possible. You’ll find those same guys complaining about the classifieds will be the first to complain when they fall to a scammer. The forum is here for information first. The classifieds are a perk, not a reason to join!

Honestly folks, it ain’t that hard. I really encourage everyone new person to place the emphasis on the knowledge and advice available, and only secondarily to focus on it being a shopper’s/seller’s paradise.

Chris

People like you @Vetmx , @qball, @TMH, @Centercut, and many others could go on and on with names, add so much knowledge and intelligent discussion to the page it behooves me that people come here just for the classifieds and do not want to partake in the rest. This is arguably the best, most informative forum I have ever been on.

We live in an instant gratification style world. If people can’t get what they want when they want it, they get upset. The classified rules are here to protect us as much as possible. You’ll find those same guys complaining about the classifieds will be the first to complain when they fall to a scammer. The forum is here for information first. The classifieds are a perk, not a reason to join!

Nailed that on the head...

Reactions: JW652
create a multiple choice quiz,, one must take the quiz to become a member,, if one gives a wrong answer, he must choose again until he clicks the right answer. make it EASY,, by completing the quiz, the applicant has read the most critical parts of the rules :unsure: just a thought from the cheap seat,,
cattle herding,, make them go where you want them to go, before they get to the green pasture.🐮

It isn’t just the classifieds here on the forum. In general a lot of people think rules are for the other people. What other people? Anybody but them.
I see it all the time in business.

One issue that feeds this cycle is that rules often get pretty egregious. I'm not saying that about the classified here, but just society in general. Where I work we have various rulebooks for different aspects of the job. They're all the size of phonebooks, difficult to read and it's often difficult to know which sections are relevant for which parts of your job.

So more often than not, you just go about your day doing things more-or-less the way everyone else does things, and you hope someone catches you if you break the rules, because getting to the point where you have a functional knowledge of all the rulebooks is simply too time consuming and painful.

Tax code is maybe one of the better-understood examples. There was a time I was making my income in both the States and Canada. Our tax service in Canada literally has no understanding of how to apply tax law to people making their income both inside and outside the country. And I mean that -- I've talked with Revenue Canada employees off the record, and they admit, nobody knows that aspect of Canadian tax law. You just get random Revenue Canada employee interpretations of the law, every time you fill out your taxes. The point is that this "avoid the rules" mindset is pretty pervasive. Our tax service's only principle is to adhere to the rules exactly and consistently every time, and they can't do it.

Reactions: ITACUD
I believe that some folks are simply averse to rules in general. I think we have all known such people, those who view a rule as a challenge to break. An example is the way many folks misrepresent their air guns when shipping. I agree that many rule makers go a bit beyond what I might consider necessary, but their intent, and the result are usually good. The Classified section here could be pretty chaotic without a few ground rules.

Reactions: SHOMER