• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Why isn’t WFTF in the Olympics?

"The Olympic Charter indicates that in order to be accepted, a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents. The sport must also increase the ‘‘value and appeal’’ of the Olympic Games and retain and reflect its modern traditions."

A certain number of countries worldwide must participate in the sport, and the WFTF membership number is around 46 at the moment. WFTF would need recognition by the IOC; currently, it's the ISSF.

Also, a lot of regulations come into play. Just to mention a few, medication restrictions, drug testing at championships, a notice three years in advance... etc etc. Also the IOC has instituted a practice of allowing new sports, however typically with the removal of other sports.

But I had that thought as well. I would LOVE to see it at that level. I mean, if breakdancing can do it...

Last edited:
Much as I enjoy Field Target competitions, they are very much more participation sports than spectator sports. That belief is reinforced often when FT-curious spectators show up to see what it's all about, and lose all interest in trying it. 'Tis especially the case with young people.

I often describe Field Target as being almost as interesting to watch as is watching paint dry.

Last edited:
Much as I enjoy Field Target competitions, they are very much more participation sports than spectator sports. That belief is reinforced often when FT-curious spectators show up to see what it's all about, and lose interest trying it. 'Tis especially the case with young people.

I often describe Field Target as being almost as interesting to watch as is watching paint dry.

You are so right. Aside from my aforementioned theory, watching slow fire competitions is like watching paint dry. It's simply not that exciting if you're not participating. And that's another reason - and a valid one. So why aren't the action shooting sports part of the Olympics? See my previous post. IPSC is, or can be, fun to watch, but it's still not included. FT doesn't stand a chance...

GsT

It can get into the Olympics if the format was more TV friendly. For the finals round (top ten), It would probably be set in the same venue at the 50-meter rimfire rifle matches. It would use stadium seating for spectators using the same cameras and an open field with multiple lanes (maybe 5) with 2 targets per lane. Two person squads shooting at each lane. alternating their turn to shoot each lane and shifting to the next lane after one shot per target. One lane would be kneeling and one lane standing. After 10 shots, they start cutting the field in half to the top 5 shooters. They can start eliminating one shooter at a time when they miss targets on the next round until one shooter wins. Auto reset targets can be used for the finals round so no strings needed. I can imagine people easily seeing and reacting to a knock down hit versus a miss. Anyways it is all wishful thinking. The Olympics are trying to shed shooting events, not add them.

Reactions: Nico5999
I think it would be cool if FT was an Olympic sport. That said every FT course is a different match. Olympic/ISSF shooting events are the exact same match just set up in a new location. 10M is 10M. 25M pistol is 25M pistol. 50M 3P smallbore is the same. Exact same distances, exact same targets, and so on. When a new world record or Olympic record is broken it is judged from others shooting the exact same targets at the same distance for the same number of shots. Same with swimming, track, etc.
Now I have typed all this it occurs to me that golf is, or at least I think it is, an Olympic sport. FT would be like golf. People enjoy watching golf and I enjoy watching FT matches on YouTube. So WFTF needs to lobby ISSF to be recognized as an ISSF shooting sport. If you get that done, good luck, then you can push the Olympic committee.

I think it could be very TV-friendly. With the right commentators (snoop and martha, kevin hart), camera angles, graphics, and TV magic, it could be awesome. As for the variety of courses, that's what makes it cool (look at surfing and climbing). The difficulty rating could be carried over similar to Troyer, applied to international standards, and then something derived from that (similar to the GP formula) for world records?

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 6.29.37 PM.png
images.jpeg

Last edited:
Can one even imagine the logistics of score keeping every shot at every target, the quantity of shooters to keep legal and track & gear certify etc and no individual is cheating... ?
Then the airing of said feats of marksmanship .... BORING to the point of nausea if watching it take place.

Likely never see it happening as an OLYMPIC venue 🥴

Now Biathlon with the physical ski racing before shooting is damn entertaining !!!

Last edited:
I think it could be very TV-friendly. With the right commentators (snoop and martha, kevin hart), camera angles, graphics, and TV magic, it could be awesome. As for the variety of courses, that's what makes it cool (look at surfing and climbing). The difficulty rating could be carried over similar to Troyer, applied to international standards, and then something derived from that (similar to the GP formula) for world records?

View attachment 486344View attachment 486334
HAHAHA just imagined two commentators speaking in very soft whispery tones , describing the Troyer of each lane HAHAHAHAHA

• Haha
Reactions: Garrettkq