• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Wildcat MK3 Hammer Noise

Now that the weather is getting colder I purchased a nice Barronett Ox 5 hunting blind and set up on my deck to keep me warm while shooting through the winter. The problem now is that before the high pitch slap from the wildcat was somewhat bearable but now enclosed in the blind it's very irritating. 

Has anyone investigated modifying the hammer and valve with a Delrin washer or something similar to reduce the metal on metal ping noise? With the DonnyFL on there it is very quiet on the barrel end but very loud on the action side. 

Have it tuned around 125/130 on the reg and pushing JSB 33's around 900 and started the hammer spring tension light and worked my way up so I could get that at a 6 hammer setting. Have the sniper with the 700mm barrel. 

If anyone has some ideas besides wearing ear plugs I would love to hear some ideas. My condor has a hammer slap mod using a 90d o-ring from TalonTunes and that makes a big difference and hoping something like this could be done with the Wildcat. Love this gun and it's incredibly accurate and making it quieter on the hammer would make it perfect.

Thanks in advance and happy shooting. 

I have a mk3 wildcat and I do not hear any ping noise as described.

I have the newer model and maybe there was a change in the valving and hammer? Waiting for Ernest to come out with the new plenum for this newer version. I'll have to borrow the sound meter from the office and see what sound levels I'm getting. Maybe my ears are just too sensitive?

Just performed a little experiment to test out reducing the ping (metal on metal) sound. Went through my wife's craft stuff and found some stick on hard plastic small radius decorations. Fixed that to the end of the hammer rod and reassembled and then took some test shots with the FX chrony. Ping sound greatly reduced and consistent velocity with just a slight decrease which can be remedied by adjusting the hammer spring tension. 

Wishing I had a spare hammer rod and a lathe to machine a indent for a 90d o-ring similar to my condors hammer slap modification. Will have to do some more testing but felt adventuresome tonight and thought I would give it a try. I'm jealous of some of the equipment and shops that some of the members have along with the high skill levels I see in the posts.

Try this Put on some good earcups that exclude the sound. Then shoot the gun. If the ping is greatly reduced, then you need some real talent to fix this but if the ping is the same or louder, then the problem is that the sound is being conducted through the bones in your skull from the cheek bone to the middle ear. That suggets that the problem may be improved by laying some soundproofing tape or foam onto the top of the cheek rest. I know its a theory , but lt me know if anyone tries this

Reactions: AlabamaLarry
Everyone always complained about the wildcat hammer sliding back and forth. Well, that spring and hammer assembly bouncing back after you take a shot in the loose metal cavity of the action is a huge source of the noise.

Last night I introduced a light spring in-between the adjustment wheel and the hammer assembly which stopped the sliding back and forth you would hear from the hammer assembly. I need to play around with some different springs to find one that will control better the bounce back after shooting and not cause too high a tension when cocking. Also, I don't want a spring that will anyway affect the shot consistency. 

I can deal with the noise next to my ear but trying to quiet as much as possible. Would love to have a slip over cheek rest with a material that would help soften the sound and make for a comfortable cheek rest. Maybe you 3D printing people will come up with the next greatest addon for the wildcat?

Try this Put on some good earcups that exclude the sound. Then shoot the gun. If the ping is greatly reduced, then you need some real talent to fix this but if the ping is the same or louder, then the problem is that the sound is being conducted through the bones in your skull from the cheek bone to the middle ear. That suggets that the problem may be improved by laying some soundproofing tape or foam onto the top of the cheek rest. I know its a theory , but lt me know if anyone tries this
I know this is a way old thread however you are absolutely right Macdoc 18: I just laid some soft black leather I have over the cheek rest on my Wildcat and Wala crazy high pitch ping from the Tungsten Hammer went way down. so now I am going to wrap that cheek piece in leather.

Last edited: