• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat mk3 vs. maverick. What’s the REAL difference?

I’m constantly hearing that the wildcat and the maverick are basically the same platform, with some slight differences (bottle vs. tube, dual regulators and bigger plenum on maverick etc..) but what makes it so the maverick can be a slug shooting machine, and the wildcat falls on its face at higher power settings? Shouldn’t they “in theory” both be capable of similar power numbers? Especially with the addition of a larger plenum on the wildcat?

the reason I ask is, I’ve always been drawn to the wildcat platform for its ergonomics, and style. My mk2 wildcat is probably my favorite gun when it comes to looks and comfort. The wildcat is also $3-400 cheaper than it’s similar size maverick counterpart. What am I missing?

If you hunt or pest, the wildcat is better in that regard. 

How?

WC is made to be carried around with the stock design. A little more 'rugged' depending on your perspective with the syn stock.

But I'll add if you want to sling decent weight slugs, maverick all day. The thing is built for slugs with the huge plenum and bottle. My mav was a laser with mid-30gr slugs in .25.

Here is a pic of my Maverick Compact 22cal. Granted I like the looks of the Wildcat 3 but still not sure how it's better than the Maverick. My compact can do 55 foot pounds. 

IMG_0971.1636815689.jpeg

Here is a pic of my Maverick Compact 22cal. Granted I like the looks of the Wildcat 3 but still not sure how it's better than the Maverick. My compact can do 55 foot pounds. 

IMG_0971.1636815689.jpeg

While as far as I know the Maverick is capable of more power at the top end, the Wildcat MKIII is no slouch. My Wildcat MKIII Compact .25 also gave over 55 Ft Lbs (862 FPS with the JSB33.95 grain pellets, for 56.1 FPE). Ergonomically I found the Wildcat to be probably the best bullpup platform I have ever used. I only sold it because I purchased a Leshiy 2 and something had to go to fund my semi-auto addiction (or affliction).

Chris 

I do like the Wildcat MKIII, but after have a Maverick compact 22cal and a Maverick Sniper 22cal, I just felt like I was going to be disappointed in the Wildcat. Honestly I hunt all the time and the Maverick Compact above is hard to beat in the woods. Plus the power is higher and the shot count is more than double. My Maverick Sniper 22cal can do 70+ foot pounds. I had no problem, after buying the slug power kit, bringing both guns to the power advertised by FX. 

So putting compacts aside (I’m thinking of getting a setup for slugging at long distance from a tripod), what really is the difference instead of just the argument of ‘mines better than yours’? 
is the maverick capable of higher power??? Or is it just a preference thing based on bottle and dual reg (still not sold on the dual reg setup). I like the ergonomics of the wildcat platform better, and if they were capable of similar power, I would go that route based on that AND being priced less. But if the maverick is going to be capable of higher power for slugging, and the wildcat is being pushed for similar numbers, the. The wildcat is worth the price. 

I have a mav compact.25 and a Widcat m3 compact in .22.

I really enjoy shooting the wildcat more than the mav.

I have the mav shooting the nielson 26.8 gr at 890 fps. Longest kill on a ground squirrel has been 153 yards.

The Wildcat m3 is shooting the nielson 17.5 gr. at 880 fps. Longest kill on a ground squirrel has been 131 yards.

But the Wildcat is so much lighter and so so much sweeter to shoot. It just fits me. Oh and it has the veyron 3-12 on it. Nice clear LIGHT optic.

The Mav has an element helix on it. Soon to be changed to a veyron.

Reactions: special smash
Well, the big difference would probably be the dual regulators. I have looked at both guns and really prefer the Maverick. You really cant beat the dual regulated system especially for long-distance consistent shooting and better shot counts. The wildcat is an awesome gun and platform but I'm not a huge fan of how the bullpups feel. (any bullpup not just the wildcat. ) 

Well, the big difference would probably be the dual regulators. I have looked at both guns and really prefer the Maverick. You really cant beat the dual regulated system especially for long-distance consistent shooting and better shot counts. The wildcat is an awesome gun and platform but I'm not a huge fan of how the bullpups feel. (any bullpup not just the wildcat. )

They are both bullpups 

I have both in .22 Snipper and a .30 kit when needed. The ergonomics of the MK3 are fantastic. It just feels good as a package when shouldered. The addition of a Huma reg. (adds 1/2" more plenum than the AMP) and the PP from 910 Airguns allows the MK3, when tuned properly, to stand equally with the Maverick for power. They are both very accurate too and easy to work on. The similarities for me, end there. The first difference is the rigidity of the Maverick all metal stock vs. the synthetic stock of the MK3. On either the bench tripod or the field tripod the MK3 synthetic stock has a bit of flex in it when left under it's own weight where the Maverick is rock solid. I can sling the field tripod with attached Maverick over my shoulder and move on the the next location. Not going to happen with the MK3. Shot count is the next obvious difference 580cc vs. 300cc, no comparison, especially with the .30 kit installed. The dual regulators do have their place in minimizing the stress one regulator would be required to take when pushing the outer limits of power. I personally enjoy the Maverick overall as I have spent many hours customizing it to my shooting style. From changing the grip and adjusting the LOP, which I like a little longer, to adding carbon fiber where I can. The real difference? Depends on which end of the spectrum you prefer. Personalization $$$ will be spent on both... just sayin' . Enjoy your research.

Patrick

Maverick.1636825710.jpg

MK3.1636825723.jpg

I have both in .22 Snipper and a .30 kit when needed. The ergonomics of the MK3 are fantastic. It just feels good as a package when shouldered. The addition of a Huma reg. (adds 1/2" more plenum than the AMP) and the PP from 910 Airguns allows the MK3, when tuned properly, to stand equally with the Maverick for power. They are both very accurate too and easy to work on. The similarities for me, end there. The first difference is the rigidity of the Maverick all metal stock vs. the synthetic stock of the MK3. On either the bench tripod or the field tripod the MK3 synthetic stock has a bit of flex in it when left under it's own weight where the Maverick is rock solid. I can sling the field tripod with attached Maverick over my shoulder and move on the the next location. Not going to happen with the MK3. Shot count is the next obvious difference 580cc vs. 300cc, no comparison, especially with the .30 kit installed. The dual regulators do have their place in minimizing the stress one regulator would be required to take when pushing the outer limits of power. I personally enjoy the Maverick overall as I have spent many hours customizing it to my shooting style. From changing the grip and adjusting the LOP, which I like a little longer, to adding carbon fiber where I can. The real difference? Depends on which end of the spectrum you prefer. Personalization $$$ will be spent on both... just sayin' . Enjoy your research.

Patrick

Maverick.1636825710.jpg

MK3.1636825723.jpg

Now THATS the real world data I was looking for. Thank you for the in depth response. 
it definitely leaned me towards the maverick based on my use. It will spend most of its time attached to a tripod shooting long distance, so rigidity is a must have. The rest mostly is a wash for me. My .25 wildcat mk2 is a woods walker by nature, and it’s built for that. The maverick even though it would feel at home in the woods for sure with some extra money in addons, looks to be more at home from a bench or tripod. 

my true resson for this post, was to see if there were more differences between the 2, that caused the maverick to be a more powerful option over the wildcat. From the looks of it, for similar money (add on the price of extra wildcat bits), they will contend with each other in that department happily. In the end, it’s more about preference than capability. 
Thank you all for your responses. 

Patrick

Maverick.1636825710.jpg

MK3.1636825723.jpg

So what did you have to do to get the Wildcat MK3 22cal to get to 70 foot pounds? I haven't seen much info on that gun outside of a few basic YouTube videos.