Daystate Will Daystate survive the technological prowess we are seeing from Skout Airguns?

I don't believe Skout is looking to occupy the top spot. They are building a good product to provide another choice for the consumer. Think what you want but the Skout Epoch is a purpose built gun. Benchrest! In my personal opinion, it is kinda ugly. But, for accuracy, it's definitely "up there". If they ever diversify and start developing standard style stocks along with carbines well yes, Daystate will take notice and so will we.
Beware, as the features and tech advance, so will the prices.
For now, folks should be thankful for a $1900 alternative to the rest of the higher end stuff on the market....

Reactions: BABz58
I own a huntsman revere and it's an awesome gun. Knowing the quality of daystate, I still wouldn't want the electronic wolf guns. Not for me at all.

The Skout guns are just too ugly for the price and I don't typically sit and shoot, unless it's to sight in or I'm just bored.

In Missouri, you don't typically get a lot of long distance shots on small game or even deer. Unless you have private land with some corn fields, you're pretty much in the ridges and hills hunting, or a pretty dense oak forest. I don't think I've ever killed any game further than 75 yards. That's why I sold my 308 and now hunt with a shotgun or lever action 357 for deer.

Reactions: TerryE1 and Rizz01
Although not a direct comparison, history can provide clues. Ford survived Edsel's technological prowess. :oops:

And Edsel's weren't fugly.

Edsels were higher priced than Fords and released during an economic downturn. They were riddled with reliability issues that could not be overlooked when comparing the two differently priced cars.

Edsels were higher priced than Fords and released during an economic downturn. They were riddled with reliability issues that could not be overlooked when comparing the two differently priced cars.

I know.

Makes me wonder if Epochs in the classifieds (so soon after they became available) might have something (else) in common with Edsel. :unsure:

Interesting about the comment that a gun should still be around in 100 years. I recently came across a Falke 80 and bought it, early 1950's model, that would make it 70+ years old and it still shoots pretty well. Will today's electronic guns still be around that long? I have 2 Redwolfs and wonder if one will still be able to get the rechargeable batteries in 70 or 100 years? How many old computers are still around, long been passed by newer tech. Will this be the destiny of todays electronic guns? I am just going to enjoy them while I can, and not worry too much about which brand will supersede another in the future.

Reactions: Rizz01
Airguns of Arizona and Daystate have been around for a long time. I do not see that changing anytime soon. Daystate's electronic rifles are not for everyone but work well off of a bench. I am sure there will be new electronic Daystate rifles for years to come. I hope the same can be said for Skout. The more air rifle manufacturers, the better.

I know.

Makes me wonder if Epochs in the classifieds (so soon after they became available) might have something (else) in common with Edsel. :unsure:
AHHH! I see! Sorry for being a little late to the table....
I was on a retailer's site (AGD or something) and saw the Epoch's retail price at $2300. Someone looking at these has quite the decision to make.
I looked at Skout when I considered getting a Daystate. In my opinion, Daystate is the most reliable choice.

I actually haven’t seen many epochs in the classifieds. I have always wondered how many they sold. I picked one up used that was bought back in March I believe. The serial number is mid 700’s. They haven’t sold a ton I guess. What I have seen the resale is pretty much crap on them. I see AofA has a used leaky one with every caliber available for the price of a new one. I don’t see many people really wanting every caliber so I say good luck to them as they are going to need it. Surprised as whoever prices used guns there doesn’t seem to hit the crack pipe quite as hard as whoever it is at Utah lol.

I actually haven’t seen many epochs in the classifieds. I have always wondered how many they sold. I picked one up used that was bought back in March I believe. The serial number is mid 700’s. They haven’t sold a ton I guess. What I have seen the resale is pretty much crap on them. I see AofA has a used leaky one with every caliber available for the price of a new one. I don’t see many people really wanting every caliber so I say good luck to them as they are going to need it. Surprised as whoever prices used guns there doesn’t seem to hit the crack pipe quite as hard as whoever it is at Utah lol.

FWIW, FYI, and nothing else, when I made my last post above there were 3 Epochs for sale on one page of the AGN classifieds. Given what little time they've been available and relatively few sold, I found that somewhere between interesting and curious. :unsure:

Yes, there are many more used electronic Daystates for sale, but I'd guess the proportions to those sold new are less than that of Epochs. Just sayin' "curious".

FWIW, FYI, and nothing else, when I made my last post above there were 3 Epochs for sale on one page of the AGN classifieds. Given what little time they've been available and relatively few sold, I found that somewhere between interesting and curious. :unsure:

Yes, there are many more used electronic Daystates for sale, but I'd guess the proportions to those sold new are less than that of Epochs. Just sayin' "curious".

People want to play with the latest & greatest offerings all the time. Shoot & fiddle for a bit and move on ... Skouts are no different IMO.
If one looks back these last 5 years or so, Daystate Redwolfs have been many on the F/S pages several times !

People want to play with the latest & greatest offerings all the time. Shoot & fiddle for a bit and move on ... Skouts are no different IMO.
If one looks back these last 5 years or so, Daystate Redwolfs have been many on the F/S pages several times !

Agreed. We airgunners are hopeless addicts! 🤤🥴🥵

Heck, I've had that monkey on my back almost SEVENTY YEARS! :oops:😱

I used to be an "electronic" firing mechanism doubter until I finally bought a pre-owned Daystate Air Wolf (2011 mfg) I was so impressed I bought a pre-owned Mk4 as well. These rifles are over 13 years old and still work like a charm. Timeless technology that results in unmatched accuracy and adjustability. I have had very good luck buying pre-owned guns right here on our classified section.

Reactions: Motorhead
When you consider that an air rifle's operation depends on a bunch of O rings, springs, and valves, it's a tribute to any maker that builds one that will last longer than a week without a problem.
You either tinker, or buy at least 3 of them in order to have one available while rotating them through the shop.

That is what we call, a hot take...

No, Daystate at present or in future shouldn't be threatened imo, by Skout.

I will never own a Skout with their current offerings, just not my cup of tea, quite a few Daystates I would absolutely own if I were a collector.

When mechanically driven pilot valves become popularized, then you'll see some interesting innovation (not saying this is peak innovation), if that time ever comes. They are not easy to manufacturer nor maintain, but the L2 uses one actuated by the trigger (that is how easy the valve is to actuate!)...so while the L2 is a front runner in that sense, they're trigger quality suffers because it is what actuates the valve...imo. If they made it hammer driven, many people would love Edgun L2's much more than now...just my 2c.

-Matt
The trigger in the L2 is my least favorite thing about them. On the 2 I have owned if I squeezed the trigger it would bleed off. If I popped the trigger they shot good, but it’s hard to be accurate popping the trigger. Yes in a rest it shot pretty good where you had less influence on the gun movement