Daystate Will Daystate survive the technological prowess we are seeing from Skout Airguns?

I'm wondering if Daystate will survive the technological prowess we are seeing from Skout Airguns? I read that AOA is now supplying Skout with SUBMOA barrels, but haven't read anything about them fitting Daystate with SUBMOA barrels. Do you think AOA will drop Daystate in favor of Skout?

Based on the price alone it would be an easy decision for me $2824.99 for the most basic Delta Wolf vs $1999 for a Skout Epoch.

Reactions: BABz58 and Blejda
Absolutely. The percentage of this hobby that is willing to deal with bloated electronic guns is super small compared to guys that don’t live at a bench. Scout is actually the one who’s hurting themselves, regardless of magical barrels by not offering guns that suit the biggest sector of airgunning. Daystate and their offerings will be just fine.

I'm wondering if Daystate will survive the technological prowess we are seeing from Skout Airguns? I read that AOA is now supplying Skout with SUBMOA barrels, but haven't read anything about them fitting Daystate with SUBMOA barrels. Do you think AOA will drop Daystate in favor of Skout?

Based on the price alone it would be an easy decision for me $2824.99 for the most basic Delta Wolf vs $1999 for a Skout Epoch.
I hope not, because those Skouts are “ugly”… the esthetics matter. No electric guns for me. Don’t care if every shot is hole in hole, no batteries for my guns…

Absolutely. The percentage of this hobby that is willing to deal with bloated electronic guns is super small compared to guys that don’t live at a bench. Scout is actually the one who’s hurting themselves, regardless of magical barrels by not offering guns that suit the biggest sector of airgunning. Daystate and their offerings will be just fine.
I totally agree, IMO Daystate has their technology figure out and skout is trying to find their way. I have a Redwolf and Evo. That Redwolf way outperforms it with the .25cal 33 grain pellets. Still messing with the skout, so time will tell.

I thought the Skout was innovative after I saw a couple of the early reviews. Then I looked up spooling airguns and learned that technology is very common in paintball guns, It is not viewed as better or worse than the hammer/valve kind most of us use in the paintball world. People have their preferences, like FX versus Daystate, but both technologies work and have their issues. I like the fact that Skout seems to be working hard to make a top tier airgun but they still need to prove they are even as good as Daystate or FX or whoever you think is best. They may get there and they may not. As long as FX and Daystate can get roughly another $1000 per gun they have to be doing OK. Hard to say how things will look in a few decades.

To me the innovative airgun is the Huben. I'd like to see it's technology in other guns. I don't want a semi-automatic airgun with a non-removable magazine. Or an airgun I cannot easily clean. But the basic air releasing technology could be put into a simpler manually loading rifle that would be very interesting. But it still takes a great barrel and all the other pieces to make a great rifle.

That is what we call, a hot take...

No, Daystate at present or in future shouldn't be threatened imo, by Skout.

I will never own a Skout with their current offerings, just not my cup of tea, quite a few Daystates I would absolutely own if I were a collector.

When mechanically driven pilot valves become popularized, then you'll see some interesting innovation (not saying this is peak innovation), if that time ever comes. They are not easy to manufacturer nor maintain, but the L2 uses one actuated by the trigger (that is how easy the valve is to actuate!)...so while the L2 is a front runner in that sense, they're trigger quality suffers because it is what actuates the valve...imo. If they made it hammer driven, many people would love Edgun L2's much more than now...just my 2c.

-Matt

Last edited:

The weight of the skout is a deal breaker for me

AoA will not discontinue selling or competing with Daystate products. They just work to win. I totally understand this now that I own one. I was leery about electronic airguns until I decided to buy a higher end gun. Looked at RAW, RTI, FX, BRK and a few others. Read countless articles, watched reviews AND spent much time here on this forums pages.
Believe it or not, the electronic guns seem to have the least issues along with the most satisfied customers. Okay, you're gonna read about the occasional "lemon" or the short battery life in the Alpha/Delta platforms. When one is looking for repeatable accuracy, electronic is the way to go. As for Daystate? They will always be on top unless they get stagnant or think too far "out of the box".......

I'm just the opposite I have had red wolf and like my skout much better. Don't own any red wolfs now. To each his own. If about skout would ever come out with a hunting weight gun it would be great. I didn't buy the skout for hunting but 100yd bench. Person needs to pick proper gun for the correct application. A skout or any heavy gun is not a preferable hunting setup. After never owning at impact and now do. I much prefer it over the Redwolf but going to get a DRS for hunting.

I have an epoch and really love it. So much more simple than my m3 was that I sold to obtain it. It’s a bench gun and for me the the evo just doesn’t cut weight quite enough for the hunting realm so I am not pulling the trigger on one. Daystate has many more diverse options so I think they are fine. However, as stated numerous times on here being the only major manufacturer to jack the gun prices I will absolutely never buy a new one at this point. Stinks as an alpha wolf safari is my holy grail.

I have an epoch and really love it. So much more simple than my m3 was that I sold to obtain it. It’s a bench gun and for me the the evo just doesn’t cut weight quite enough for the hunting realm so I am not pulling the trigger on one. Daystate has many more diverse options so I think they are fine. However, as stated numerous times on here being the only major manufacturer to jack the gun prices I will absolutely never buy a new one at this point. Stinks as an alpha wolf safari is my holy grail.
Hopefully someday they will have a nice lighter bullpup for us hunters. I hope they realize there is way more hunters that would like one.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I am a Skout fan..i thoroughly enjoy shooting my Epoch
as much as i appreciate the company, i doubt 2 production rifles are going to be a threat to Daystate's electronic rifles
Daystate currently has more features and settings..Skout in still in it's infancy, growing fast, but Skout needs to have more models.
I don't know if i would want to see a mechanical from Skout ... but i would like to see a if they could make a more traditional looking rifle that doesn't weigh 8lbs
Daystate, imo, still has the top spot. Skout is on a determined path to take it over.
Let's see in a couple of years if positions have changed

Reactions: Rizz01
When I purchase a gun I consider it a lifetime purchase. I expect that gun to be useful now or in 10 years or even a 100 years. I see no reason why I should not apply that same thinking to PCP air rifles. If I cannot make the parts or get parts at a hardware store -----. If by technology we mean improved manufacturing processes or new materials that is okay but if by technology we mean batteries and screens and software(n). Air guns are much too fat and bloated as it is.

I do have this fishing reel from Shimano. Darn thing has a chip in it and the reel spinning generates a current to activate the anti-backlash braking. And it works surprisingly well and makes a cool very high pitched whine as a lure is cast. If the hammer instead of striking the exhaust valve instead passed through coils generating a current stored in a capacitor that was then used to drive a solenoid operated valve, hmmmmm, I might turn my ear. But then there is lock time to consider and the overall reliability of electronic components in the cold, damp, heat and over the years. Such a thing would still require mechanical cocking of the hammer and sear reset but the valve would release with the generated current of hammer and coil.

Reactions: Dairyboy