• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Wolverine HP-R + 0dB moderator is there something quieter?

Howdy all
My new to me Wolverine HP .22 pushing it’s favorite weight pellet 25.39 with it’s 0dB moderator seem to be a bit noisier than the FX Crown (that was traded for the Wolverine) pushing it’s favorite weight 18.1 pellet with an Air-fective Carbon moderator (they are in UK). So is there something better than the 0dB to quiet the Beasty HP? Don’t get me wrong the 0dB is doing a great job but the Wolverine seems to be a bit of a beast compared to the FX. I shoot at home a lot and prefer to be as quiet as possible.

Thanks

I’ve heard in an Airtac hunting video that if you set your reg pressure higher, the result is quieter shooting. He explains it in the video better but it made sense when he did.
more air = more noise... thus the real reason... you can lower reg pressure and hammer spring appropriately and or use a lighter round and of courses a bigger moderator... I too like the STO.

Reactions: SHOMER and oledawg
Howdy all
My new to me Wolverine HP .22 pushing it’s favorite weight pellet 25.39 with it’s 0dB moderator seem to be a bit noisier than the FX Crown (that was traded for the Wolverine) pushing it’s favorite weight 18.1 pellet with an Air-fective Carbon moderator (they are in UK). So is there something better than the 0dB to quiet the Beasty HP? Don’t get me wrong the 0dB is doing a great job but the Wolverine seems to be a bit of a beast compared to the FX. I shoot at home a lot and prefer to be as quiet as possible.

Thanks

Moderator quietness is a bit subjective, but I have your exact rifle and shoot it constantly within 20 feet of my neighbors house.

I’m using a Huma Mod 30 - just 3 sections are necessary. This is the Huma Mod 30 with the felt inserts - not the new Avalanche inserts.

Another cool thing you can do with the felt Mod 30s is replace the felt with rolled cork - I did this in the 1st section of the Mod 30 on my Wolverine R HP. It’s very quiet.

Your Wolverine R HP .22 is shooting JSB 18.13s at 1,025 fps - it keeps them stable at this extremely high velocity due to 1:32 slow twist polygonal barrel. But I’m guessing your Crown was shooting at much lower velocity. So, the pellet strike on target may be louder than your Crown as well.

I was using MRDs in my Wolverine, but tried the 18.13s and was stunned by the accuracy with the 3 section Huma. It did not shoot either the 18s or MRDs as well when I had a much larger moderator installed. I’ve shot four 199s and now a 200 in the 30 Yard Challenge with the 18.13s and Huma configuration - it’s probably averaging about 198 with the 18.13s across 12 cards!

Hope this helps,

Ed

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

Moderator quietness is a bit subjective, but I have your exact rifle and shoot it constantly within 20 feet of my neighbors house.

I’m using a Huma Mod 30 - just 3 sections are necessary. This is the Huma Mod 30 with the felt inserts - not the new Avalanche inserts.

Another cool thing you can do with the felt Mod 30s is replace the felt with rolled cork - I did this in the 1st section of the Mod 30 on my Wolverine R HP. It’s very quiet.

Your Wolverine R HP .22 is shooting JSB 18.13s at 1,025 fps - it keeps them stable at this extremely high velocity due to 1:32 slow twist polygonal barrel. But I’m guessing your Crown was shooting at much lower velocity. So, the pellet strike on target may be louder than your Crown as well.

I was using MRDs in my Wolverine, but tried the 18.13s and was stunned by the accuracy with the 3 section Huma. It did not shoot either the 18s or MRDs as well when I had a much larger moderator installed. I’ve shot four 199s and now a 200 in the 30 Yard Challenge with the 18.13s and Huma configuration - it’s probably averaging about 198 with the 18.13s across 12 cards!

Hope this helps,

Ed

View attachment 387157

View attachment 387158
So we meet again EPG. When I was shooting today my wife was out and about the yard and she commented that she couldn’t hear the Wolverine but the pellet trap impact was MUCH louder than with the Crown in .22, so a new moderator won’t fix that. I was shooting the JSB Redesigned 25.39’s, obviously heavier than the 18.1’s the Crown liked and carrying more energy at impact. One thing I’ve noticed about the redesigned pellets, they seem to be a bit harder so I assume that JSB added more antimony to the lead, maybe something they have discovered from making slugs. Want to do a hardness test to see if I can confirm. Since the Wolverine is new to me I’m checking out pellets, AoA said it likes 25.39’s so I am checking out various 25.39’s but had some H&N 21.14’s that I found grouped well and seemed quieter. Guess I need to try some 18.1’s too as that is an impressive target.

So we meet again EPG. When I was shooting today my wife was out and about the yard and she commented that she couldn’t hear the Wolverine but the pellet trap impact was MUCH louder than with the Crown in .22, so a new moderator won’t fix that. I was shooting the JSB Redesigned 25.39’s, obviously heavier than the 18.1’s the Crown liked and carrying more energy at impact. One thing I’ve noticed about the redesigned pellets, they seem to be a bit harder so I assume that JSB added more antimony to the lead, maybe something they have discovered from making slugs. Want to do a hardness test to see if I can confirm. Since the Wolverine is new to me I’m checking out pellets, AoA said it likes 25.39’s so I am checking out various 25.39’s but had some H&N 21.14’s that I found grouped well and seemed quieter. Guess I need to try some 18.1’s too as that is an impressive target.
A piece of carpet scrap in your trap will help

Last edited:
Reactions: oledawg