N/A Working on springers

The most important things in a springer:

Getting the sealing right (piston seal fit and breech seal)

Proper fitting spring guides

Proper lubes applied in the proper amount. Less is best here.

Get all of those right the first time and it will shoot very good for a very long time.

Most buzz/twang comes from the OD of the spring to the inside of the piston. That's what the "tar" was intended to address, despite what most people seem to believe. Tight fitting guides help keep the spring straight and supported, and off the piston walls, in conjunction with a fitted tophat (which most guns lack from the factory, hence the twang/buzz)

My suggestion, get some Maccari Moly and some of his clear tar or any other plain grease of choice and you're set for lubes.

Vortek kits aren't my first choice and often have installation problems due to their soft steel outside sleeve arrangement. Lots of guys love them, but lots of guys have never tried both.

Air Rifle Headquarters uses a larger diameter and thus lower stressed spring which will typically shoot smoother for longer and are my only choice.

A spring compressor is a very good idea. Lots of homemade jobs out there. And Sun Optics used to make a ready made one, I have one somewhere. Myself I either do it by hand or use my 20 ton shop press as it's just faster than digging out the compressor.

Have fun

Reactions: oOmpH
The most important things in a springer:

Getting the sealing right (piston seal fit and breech seal)

Proper fitting spring guides

Proper lubes applied in the proper amount. Less is best here.

Get all of those right the first time and it will shoot very good for a very long time.

Most buzz/twang comes from the OD of the spring to the inside of the piston. That's what the "tar" was intended to address, despite what most people seem to believe. Tight fitting guides help keep the spring straight and supported, and off the piston walls, in conjunction with a fitted tophat (which most guns lack from the factory, hence the twang/buzz)

My suggestion, get some Maccari Moly and some of his clear tar or any other plain grease of choice and you're set for lubes.

Vortek kits aren't my first choice and often have installation problems due to their soft steel outside sleeve arrangement. Lots of guys love them, but lots of guys have never tried both.

Air Rifle Headquarters uses a larger diameter and thus lower stressed spring which will typically shoot smoother for longer and are my only choice.

A spring compressor is a very good idea. Lots of homemade jobs out there. And Sun Optics used to make a ready made one, I have one somewhere. Myself I either do it by hand or use my 20 ton shop press as it's just faster than digging out the compressor.

Have fun
The spring guides I've made for rifles have silenced the twang without any lubes on the spring. The black tar I would never put that nasty mess in my rifle..lol. But whatever works for you go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEP3 and oOmpH
You can make a dirt cheap spring compressor with a "C" clamp from Harbor freight cut off and mounted on a board or bench. I just clamp blocks on mine depending on where the end of the receiver tube fits and works great.

IMG_20240912_151630~2.jpg

The spring guides I've made for rifles have silenced the twang without any lubes on the spring. The black tar I would never put that nasty mess in my rifle..lol. But whatever works for you go for it.
I don't use the tar either, but it's intended purpose is to break the buzz between the spring and inside of the piston. Proper fitting parts, particularly a top hat, and a piston sleeve (my preference) make for a quiet gun without anything.

The clear tar I mentioned is a totally different thing, and isn't used for any kind of internal lubrication. Just pivot points and sliding surfaces.

Whatever floats your boat and makes your gun shoot the way you like.

I found this TS-70 high moly paste. Would this be good for spring and piston lube? Have been reading that higher moly count is better.

I found this TS-70 high moly paste. Would this be good for spring and piston lube? Have been reading that higher moly count is better.
I suspect that would work just fine.

Maccari also sells moly here: https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251484/42989.htm

A little goes a long way. The jar of moly I bought from Maccari a decade ago is still about 2/3 full.

R