Western Airguns Working to Figure Out the Western Rattler .357

Today was my second session working with this rifle. Right now I have it paired with an Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12x42mm FFP IR scope. Within 50 yards this scope seems to be ok for me. As much as many of you all like it, I'm still trying to like it. Anyhow, my first time out I mounted this scope on my Rattler with the turret settings from when I removed it from my Benjamin Bulldog M357 with a 50 yard zero. When I shot the Rattler using this scope it was pretty close to dead on without touching a thing. I initial shot it from the Caldwell Turret Rest seen below.

Rattler 357.jpg

Here's my first target. The first two shots are touching the edge of the bullseye and touching each other.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 8.34.22 PM.png

Then removed it from the mount and affixed an Accutac bipod (that was pretty comfortable to shoot with without a rear rest). I felt pretty good abut my fisrt time shooting from 50 yards.
Rattler  357 & Accutac.png

This was target started put great with the 1st two shots hitting the bullseye, but my chronogragh was not reading the shots. As a result I set the gun down, fiddled with the chrony, and resituatyed myself the 3 shots above the bullseye were the next three shots. I was shooting 140 grain slugs that I made.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 8.26.46 PM.png

After a good first outing where I could compile chronogragh data and try to get a feel for the gun I was very optimistic about the rifle. Later in the week I had some time to go check on some properties. I'm speaking to a property owner about what I see as I drive around on their property. After taking a headcount of cattle, I swing around and see a couple of animals in some knee high grass. At first I though they might be donkeys ad they swished their long tails back and forth. I slowed down and looked closer when I realized these were too short to be donkeys. They're hogs!! They weren’t that sharp as I drove up on them while talking to the property owner on the phone. Once I realized what they were I took a photo and backed up my truck to head home and grab a gun.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 8.37.46 PM.png

The first thing I grabbed was my Rattler .357 since I'd just used it the other day. I also grabbed some slugs , snake boots, a SCBA tank, and hit the door. Why did I grabbed a SCBA tank? I do not know. It makes little sense to think that I'd be doing that much shooting. When I returned to the property it took me about a half hour, but I tracked the hogs down crossing a road in the woods on an adjacent property. I walked to the edge of the road, on knelt down, and when I saw one coming out of the brush I aimed for the the head/neck area and let a shot rip. It was loud and I had hogs on both sides of my scrambling. I never found any blood and the hog that I shot at didn’t squeal long or loudly. I did not hear a loud slug smack, nor did I hear the hog crash, although I heard them running into and through thickets violently. Another group doubled back looping behind me through the woods, winded me, and bolted back across the road at my six. I counted 5 hogs through my scope. I’m just not used to hunting with semis so I have to practice double taps and such. It doesn’t come natural with airguns to keep shooting at an animal. I'm used to trying to shoot once maybe twice and hitting with the first or second shot. After they seemed to stop running and stirring in the brush, I went to investigate the area I thought the hog was in when I took my shot. I didn’t see an indication of a hit. There wasn't a drop of blood that I found. My biggest mistake was not ranging the animal. I actually had a rangefinder on me, but I'm not used to using them in the field so it wasn't a natural thought. There was a lot of action and it happened relatively fast. My heart was pounding and my adrenaline was up because it seemed as if I just kept seeing pigs and hogs coming in. I can say this, this set up (gun, scope, bipod) was heavy. I don't know if it was because of the bipod or if the rifle is just that heavy in general. I can say this, if you intend to spot and stalk hunt - GET A SLING. After walking through the woods with this rifle my arms were fatigued.

Today I was able to get out and shoot from 25 and 35 yards and there's a noticeable difference in holdunders. I'll post photos of today's targets in a bit.

My makeshift big-bore backstop and target for the day.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.32.44 PM.png

I decided to start at 25 yards. These were 140 grain slugs. 14 shots were taken while seated an resting the fore end of the reservoir on the yoke of a Primos Trigger Stick bipod.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.51.48 PM.png

Then 120 grain slugs. 15 shots.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.48.13 PM.png

Second target at 25 yards, 120 grains slugs, 15 shots.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.48.34 PM.png

Now I moved out to 35 yards with the 120 grain slugs. 11 shots, I turned up the power wheel so the Rattler was using more air and I didn't want to fall below the regulator set pressure. The hold also changed. I'll know more when I shoot from a few more distances.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 11.49.04 PM.png

I did shoot below the regulator set pressure a couple of shot strings. I don't advise doing so. I think it shot down to around 115 bar without my knowledge until after the fact. What I noticed was that the magazine release arm was slightly up and had very little tension when I pushed it back down. Then I raised it up again and rotated the magazine. The magazine felt as if it was halfway between two chambers. Thankfully all 15 were empty or it probably would've jammed and dumped air. I've realized that the more you turn the power wheel, the more air the rifle will use. It can get to a point where the increased air use does not translate to increased velocity.

Last edited:
Great write up!!!! I hope to see a post next time with a porker down and the Rattler alongside......They are a fun gun and accurate also.

Tony P.
@pesty3782 Thank you. I hope so too. I need to be shooting more and I need to spend more time with this gun. I would have had a better chance with my M357. I really messed up letting the excitement get the best of me. To be in an environment where you can track animals and walk into range where the animals envelope you is a different type of feeling. I honestly had my 50 yrds space before and said, “Well the wind is in my favor. Let me see how close I can get.” Then I got to the point where I was thinking, “Well I don’t want to get too close. I smell like hell and there seems to be a lot of hogs here.” What I’m saying is this - I have no excuse other than I messed up my shot. I had this black hog lined up with my IR on him. I had my 50 yard hold on him thinking I’m probably still far enough to be within my PB range. After the above shooting session I see that I wasn’t. Furthermore, I noticed a difference between 25 and 35 yards. So I will probably just the zero on this scope once I work out my power level/ammo combos.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
What stands out to me is your ammo and the tune are not working. Right out of the gate 80gr. JSBs should be stacking at those distances with this setup. I'd suggest shooting with pellets first to get a baseline. Then start tuning for slugs, using the pellet group as a baseline. To make your life easier try light slugs first, then move up to what you were originally shooting. I don't know the FPE of this gun, but after looking at one video between two slug weights, this gun is more than capable of very tight groups:

Attached are 90gr. EPP-UG HP .357 slugs I'll be trying in a recluse after the JSB baseline. I'm sure it won't be as accurate as a Rattler.

20240928_150228.jpg

20240928_150238.jpg

What stands out to me is your ammo and the tune are not working. Right out of the gate 80gr. JSBs should be stacking at those distances with this setup. I'd suggest shooting with pellets first to get a baseline. Then start tuning for slugs, using the pellet group as a baseline. To make your life easier try light slugs first, then move up to what you were originally shooting. I don't know the FPE of this gun, but after looking at one video between two slug weights, this gun is more than capable of very tight groups:

Attached are 90gr. EPP-UG HP .357 slugs I'll be trying in a recluse after the JSB baseline. I'm sure it won't be as accurate as a Rattler.

View attachment 500318

View attachment 500319

@sonnysan Interesting critique. Do you own a Rattler? At the moment I’m not interested in the approach you’re suggesting. Nowhere in this thread did I mention the gun’s capabilities or problems with the gun’s capabilities. That’s not an issue that I’ve brought up. This is just me working my way through things. I’m not an airgunner that people should look to as a standard or benchmark of a gun’s capabilities. I can show what I’m doing with one and I can ask for assistance when I desire or need it.

@sonnysan Interesting critique. Do you own a Rattler? At the moment I’m not interested in the approach you’re suggesting. Nowhere in this thread did I mention the gun’s capabilities or problems with the gun’s capabilities. That’s not an issue that I’ve brought up. This is just me working my way through things. I’m not an airgunner that people should look to as a standard or benchmark of a gun’s capabilities. I can show what I’m doing with one and I can ask for assistance when I desire or need it.
Fair enough. What slug moulds are you using?

@Ezana4CE - I had the same problem as you did with my .25 Sidewinder S! I was sighting it in and low and behold a squirrel decided that I wasn't making enoough racket and decided to drop in at the range! Just too excited and not finished the siting in, I took the shot with what I expected to be at the zeroing distance I was shooting. Not enough time with the trigger; unsited gun; and a squirrel just dropping in proved to be too much for me and I completely missed!

The gun is a pleasure to shoot and after I went back and completed all my siting in, I relaized that it is going to be a great hunter. I'm jonesing for a .357 like you have for hog and coyote shooting. Wih a .357 you should be able to shoot hogs in their vitals and place a couple follow up shots that we normally aren't use to taking with our bolt action guns. Keep us informed of your progress!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chukar60
@Pfddi Yea. I need more time with it. The follow up shot with semi PCPs takes some getting used to. I've only done it once maybe a year or two ago. I'm used to bolt action and bullpup lever actions. Have you affixed a sling to your Sidewinder? I'm thinking of using one of these on the pic rail.
Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.46.37 PM.png

I'm not sure what to use on the but end. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Not yet, but I have a picatinny sling mount on the front of my EVOL that I will probably get another for the Sidewinder. It's similar to what he Magpul you are looking at. I have a non-swivel back on my sling so I can move it between rifles without fixed mounts easily. I also have an attachment for my backpack that makes it easy when toting in my tripod, chair and other necessities of an old hunter (TP LOL!!!).

I wonder if your barrel is getting leaded up? Are you lubing the slugs?

Personally I like to sight in airguns at 30Y so all shots inside 30Y and outside 30Y are all holdovers or dialing up, that way theirs less confusion. Basically you want your zero to be so 26Y and 34Y are withing .1 mil of each other.
@steve123 I'll take this into consideration. I haven't zeroed this scope for this rifle yet. I mounted this scope after sitting up for months using the zero that it had from another rifle. So far I've been feeling out the Rattler and how it shoots different slugs without changing much of anything. Considering that time is something that I don't have a lot of, I'll be taking some time to learn this rifle better. I've written about all of the times I've shot this riffle in this thread.

Reactions: steve123
A few slugs I recovered from in front of and on the backstop.
IMG_6549.jpeg

@steve123 You may be on to something. After further analysis it appears that the apex of the slugs’ trajectory is around 35 yards.
I wonder if your barrel is getting leaded up? Are you lubing the slugs?

Personally I like to sight in airguns at 30Y so all shots inside 30Y and outside 30Y are all holdovers or dialing up, that way theirs less confusion. Basically you want your zero to be so 26Y and 34Y are withing .1 mil of each other.

Reactions: steve123
A couple of updates. After communicating with Shane at AOA, in order to affix a sling to the Rattler he recommends installing a Kraford and Lypt KLS Butt Pad w/Sling Attachment for the Western Rattler

In the front you can install a Magpul pic rail mount (also seen in a photo in post #8). These work well. I use one on another rifle.
I don't think that the slings with the slipknot loops in the ends would be appropriate for this riffle.

I was also advised to increase my regulator set pressure and told that regulator rebuild kits for the Rattler can be obtained from Airguns of Arizona.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
A couple of updates. After communicating with Shane at AOA, in order to affix a sling to the Rattler he recommends installing a Kraford and Lypt KLS Butt Pad w/Sling Attachment for the Western Rattler

In the front you can install a Magpul pic rail mount (also seen in a photo in post #8). These work well. I use one on another rifle.
I don't think that the slings with the slipknot loops in the ends would be appropriate for this riffle.

I was also advised to increase my regulator set pressure and told that regulator rebuild kits for the Rattler can be obtained from Airguns of Arizona.
Did they give you a set pressure for the reg? I've shot mine at 200 once or twice back when I first got it and it didn't self destruct or anything. (The reg was creeping due to a metal shard in the reg). Been keepting it at 180 since then.

That reminds me... I need to call AOA and get a part.

Some slightly off topic thoughts: odd that the rattler is only rated for 250bar since the tank and reg are marked for 300. I've been wondering if this is a CYA move on the part of western, or if they were concerned about over pressurizing the plenum in the case of reg creep.

@caliusoptimus I was instructed by Shane to bump the reg to a minimum of 150 bar. He didn’t recommend a specific setting and I didn’t ask. What I did ask for is a reg rebuild kit and the o-rings are on the way. If I need more parts for the reg I was asked to notify AOA.
Yeah bare minimum of 150. Going below that it will dump a ton of air in a single shot. Same thing happens when the power knob is too high.

I had one for a bit. Just turned out to be more weight and bulk than I wanted to pack around coyote hunting.
Mine did not like the heavier slugs. Anything over 120 and groups started to open up. It appears yours is doing the same from the pictures.
I never shot mine over 160 bar.
It was really fond of pellets at lower settings. It shot the 120’s very well.

I had one for a bit. Just turned out to be more weight and bulk than I wanted to pack around coyote hunting.
Mine did not like the heavier slugs. Anything over 120 and groups started to open up. It appears yours is doing the same from the pictures.
I never shot mine over 160 bar.
It was really fond of pellets at lower settings. It shot the 120’s very well.
@Chukar60 Time will tell. I've literally shot it on three occasions and haven't made any adjustments or alterations. My reg is set at the lowest recommended setting of 140 bar (according to the manual). Yea it's heavy to tote without a sling. Did you ever put a sling on yours? I'm hoping if can sling heavier slugs. We'll see.

Last edited: