You sold something - okay lets talk about how to package what you just sold.

reminds me of a song lol
🤷‍♂️

IMG_0802.jpeg

Pack it as if you were receiving it. Pretend it’s glass and count on dents and damage if you’re not one step ahead
Think about my FedEx “delivery” driver throwing it on the ground from waist high. Make sure your packaging can withstand a half dozen such employees “handling”.

Last edited:
Think about my FedEx “delivery” driver throwing it on the ground from waist high. Make sure your packaging can withstand a half dozen such employees “handling”.
Exactly!
An object once in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by and equal or greater force... so if, for example, a 1.5 lb barrel has 3" to shift forward from a 5' toss off a truck.... we are talking spear chucking, box penetrating reality. That same barrel confined to prevent any movement for aft up or down prevents the inertia from building before it comes in contact with whatever.

Reactions: mh and dgeesaman
Luckily I have access to a variety of packing and shipping supplies from work. Anyone who has received anything from me here has been supplied with a year supply of 1 inch bubble wrap after unpacking. Items I have for sale now are double boxed and accessories separate in another box packed tight with bubble.

Edit to add I also have sent pics and explained how it’s packed before shipping as well.

This is a helpful thread, maybe even the commercial vendors will read.
These barrels were packed and shipped to me from respected online retailers:

talontunes 10jun23 barrel.JPG

22 breech damage 2.JPG

Both poked through inadequate packing, basically loose in mailing tubes with plastic end caps and tape, and then on through their loose secondary boxes that could not contain anything pokey. Those mailing tubes are designed to hold paper documents, not heavy steel that can move and slowly hammer through. A third barrel poked all the way through, kept going and is probably still rolling around UPS' warehouse.
Fortunately, with a little dressing they shoot just fine. I kept them rather than risk getting a worse replacement, but they look fugly.

This is a helpful thread, maybe even the commercial vendors will read.
These barrels were packed and shipped to me from respected online retailers:

View attachment 477581

View attachment 477582

Both poked through inadequate packing, basically loose in mailing tubes with plastic end caps and tape, and then on through their loose secondary boxes that could not contain anything pokey. Those mailing tubes are designed to hold paper documents, not heavy steel that can move and slowly hammer through. A third barrel poked all the way through, kept going and is probably still rolling around UPS' warehouse.
Fortunately, with a little dressing they shoot just fine. I kept them rather than risk getting a worse replacement, but they look fugly.
🤬

Gun cases don’t work. The gun moves around too much between the padding. I received a gun that had broken through the plastic case.
I use a good cardboard box. Wipe the gun down with Ballistol. Wrap the gun in carpet padding.
Then reinforce the box with the stiff cardboard angle that appliances and cabinets are shipped with. Add extra cardboard to the ends
IMG_2494.jpeg
IMG_2493.jpeg

Now that things are packed and ready to ship, let me tell you of the 2 worst months to ship.
I have been in logistics for 35 years and i can tell you that the worst 2 months to ship are November and December.
During this time, the warehouses are filled with over-worked temporary workers that just want to make a buck for the holiday.
the most breakage occurs during this time.
i would double box (a NEW box on outside, not a scavaged one) everything for these 2 months with shipping lables on each box in case the box rips or gets wet. If caught in a package jam on a belt, a ripped/crushed box can easily happen. Especially with longer boxes, like rifles.
NO DUCT TAPE/MASKING TAPE ...this is not for shipping
Leave yourself an inch bufferzone around the perimeter of the box. The packages will encounter movement on belts and slides that will impact the box.
Shipping boxes will have a stamp on one of the flaps to tell you the "Crush" resistance. If what you have inside the box is heavier than the "Crush" #, that box will likely tear apart. If it does not have the stamp, it wasn’t meant for shipping.
IMG_0213.jpeg

Now that things are packed and ready to ship, let me tell you of the 2 worst months to ship.
I have been in logistics for 35 years and i can tell you that the worst 2 months to ship are November and December.
During this time, the warehouses are filled with over-worked temporary workers that just want to make a buck for the holiday.
the most breakage occurs during this time.
i would double box (a NEW box on outside, not a scavaged one) everything for these 2 months with shipping lables on each box in case the box rips or gets wet. If caught in a package jam on a belt, a ripped/crushed box can easily happen. Especially with longer boxes, like rifles.
NO DUCT TAPE/MASKING TAPE ...this is not for shipping
Leave yourself an inch bufferzone around the perimeter of the box. The packages will encounter movement on belts and slides that will impact the box.
Shipping boxes will have a stamp on one of the flaps to tell you the "Crush" resistance. If what you have inside the box is heavier than the "Crush" #, that box will likely tear apart. If it does not have the stamp, it wasn’t meant for shipping.
View attachment 477792
Helpful info

The issue is, proper packing adds to more shipping costs. I’ve had a lot of buyers that want the cheapest shipping they can get. I always try to pack as I would like to receive, but the extra $10 makes buyers balk???
I would hope that someone would not be sooo inconsiderate as to cheap out on packing - yet they do - I’ve always felt poor packing was mainly do to the inconvenience of having to get off their butts and acquire the proper type of materials.
To me, as a seller, nothing is more important than properly protecting what I sold to someone. I don’t care if it’s a $5.00 sale or $5000. sale, buyers deserve our best efforts to do the job right; being in a hurry… is never an excuse.