• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

You sold something - okay lets talk about how to package what you just sold.

Recently received a couple of things from AGN members packaged in such a way as to make me curse.
This causes the need for a buyer to confront a seller with the issues and nobody likes this process.
In both my cases we resolved the issues as adults.
But... these situations can and should be avoided altogether.

Here's the thing...

You MUST individually pad and wrap items (especially heavy items) in such a way as they can not move, shift or contact each other and or the end of the box. Because once the gorillas start throwing your box around... paper wrap doesn't cut it, Air bubbles from Amazon don't cut it - but closed cell foam and cardboard stiffening and dividing methods work wonders.

My suggestions and others can add:

For barrels consider taping them to a dowel or piece of wood or very thick cardboard so the ends of the barrel are unable to make contact with anything; then bubble wrap them and put closed cell foam on both ends of a container. I like pool noodles and pipe insulation wrap also.

For pellet tins secure the inside contents with foam and or tissue etc.. and then tape them closed and bubble wrap them in a small protective envelope and seal with more tape so they cant burst open. Anything that rattles alerts shippers to issues.

All small items should be individually padded and wrapped and labeled as necessary.

neither the butt end of a guns stock nor the barrel / shroud etc... should ever be able to make contact in such a way as it's weight is riding on the gun.

Remember - pack it like you would want to receive it - "that'll do" packaging rarely does anyone any good.

Last edited:
I would expect any member here that has had anytime dealing in airguns etc would understand proper shipping. Otherwise, they flat out don't give a flying ... Then they try to pass it off on the carrier or some third party bs. Again, that is the point, protect against the handling of the carrier. Gets my feathers fluffed, especially dealing with pellets and slugs. :mad: The ones who double box, hard or soft case protect, and pad or individually pad ... they get it. Now I'm cursing as I think back to a few experiences here in the classifieds. :eek:

I do like how pyramid air packages pellet tins.. but unfortunately some delivery people don't care about handling them reasonably and you are bound to get something damaged occasionally. I've got a barrel from a member here via Airguns of Arizona and it was bubble wrapped and put in a larger box and bubbles around it..I think when I finish machining it I'll put it inside a cardboard tube that survived shipping machine rod stock and then package it inside the original box..
you definitely don't want to ship something to just get destroyed but sometimes it is not preventable.. got a machine once inside a heavy crate, knew right away it was toast..a forklift hole right through the center..if I remember correctly the only thing salvageable was the motor..
thank you for the reminder on packaging..
🤣🤣the shipping gorilla 🤣🤣
mark

Reactions: mh
Plastic bags from the grocery used en masse are great packing material. Stuff them in until you cant fit anymore. You want to immobilize whats in the box....

foam insulation works good for some parts of your pack job.
immobilize and pad and reinforced so it actually stays inside 🤔 I think is the key.. I got something awhile back and fortunately it's all there and ok but it looked like it had pierced the box and got taped back in and did it again.. it was actually sticking out of the end of the box..
mark

Reactions: mh
You can readily buy the packing material that is foam inside a bag. Most of them involve breaking a packet to activate the foam, then close the box so the foam expands and conforms to the item being shipped. DON'T use insulation foam. If it leaks it will adhear near-permanently to anything it touches. The packing foam will not (but is also less likely to leak). The price may be prohibitive for low cost items, but is nothing to ensure intact delivery of a gun.

Pack individual pieces in cardboard cut and folded into 'tubes' (triangular or rectangular) and stuff the ends. This does a terrific job of keeping stuff from shifting.

GsT

I’ve come to the determination that packing/shipping needs to part of purchasing discussion/negotiation. One cannot assume the seller cares beyond having gotten their money. Too many don’t. Packing well takes effort and usually some expense. That it will be done to the buyers satisfaction needs clearly expressed.

I just, well with the help of Viking airgunner, sendt my Vulcan 3 to Finland.

That was in the hard case that my maverick came in, adding extra foam inside around the rifle, and then stuffing it inside a cardboard box from another case.

So ! by my reckoning a better job than you will see from other brands that will ship in a cardboard box
Which is also how The Vulcan 3 came to me with its measly soft carry device, though i of course undertook the 1.5 hour drive to go get "my" rifle in the store, CUZ i have NO faith in any shipping company.

Reactions: markhooper
When I ship barrels they are wrapped in bubble wrap then inserted into pvc pipe, generous stiff foam in either end then boxed well with protective filler.

90% of my shipping is shipping items back to people. If you don't pack it well then when it cones back, don't expect miracles.

I ask for the factory/resellers packaging, that all but eliminates damages.

It's a difficult one, I personally have never had any complaints about my packaging.

Sometimes it's the smaller items I order, say new brand of slugs. Order a couple of tins for testing, arrived bashed, dented, trashed. Total waste of money.

Last Sunday I delivered a ft rifle to a Serbian guy, 6 hours drive, needed to see his purchase arrive ok. In his hands.

Definitely worth the effort.
I'm still aching from the long ISH drive through Eastern Europe villages.

Reactions: cavedweller
The best gun packing has been a $45 hard case from Amazon and I just used the box the case came in to ship. Compact and sturdy. Oh it’s a carbine case. https://a.co/d/0g7qA0d0
Great idea, and a full sized, 48" hard case is available for less than $50 shipped to the sellers door, and could be incorporated into the selling price. And like Mike mentioned, a person could simply re-use the outer cardboard box. (Link below...but not sure why it says robot or human!)

Great idea, and a full sized, 48" hard case is available for less than $50 shipped to the sellers door, and could be incorporated into the selling price. And like Mike mentioned, a person could simply re-use the outer cardboard box. (Link below...but not sure why it says robot or human!)

Bee boo baa boo I don’t know lol. But yes you can incorporate the price

Recently received a couple of things from AGN members packaged in such a way as to make me curse.

Here's the thing... You MUST individually pad and wrap items (especially heavy items) in such a way as they can not move, shift or contact each other when the gorillas start throwing your box around... paper wrap doesn't cut it, Air bubbles from Amazon don't cut it.

My suggestions and others can add:

For barrels consider taping them to a dowel or piece of wood first the bubble wrap them and put closed cell foam on both ends of a container.

For pellet tins secure the inside contents with tissue etc.. and then bubble wrap them in a small protective envelope so they cant burst open.

small items should be individually wrapped and padded also.

good luck.
AMEN Brother. Pack that shyt like you are shipping it to yourself.

Here’s the last shipment from an un named AGN member that shipped it in the manufacturer box with no packing . Definitely not the way you want your stuff to show up.

IMG_1014.jpeg

Here’s the last shipment from an un named AGN member that shipped it in the manufacturer box with no packing . Definitely not the way you want your stuff to show up.

View attachment 476934
And this is how I packed what I shipped him. Packed with care. How hard is it?

IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

View attachment 476934
Wrap the gun in a towel, then the gun case, bubble wrapped, taped and double boxed. Charge me for the towel.

Reactions: cavedweller