You sold something - okay lets talk about how to package what you just sold.

I would hope that someone would not be sooo inconsiderate as to cheap out on packing - yet they do - I’ve always felt poor packing was mainly do to the inconvenience of having to get off their butts and acquire the proper type of materials.
To me, as a seller, nothing is more important than properly protecting what I sold to someone. I don’t care if it’s a $5.00 sale or $5000. sale, buyers deserve our best efforts to do the job right; being in a hurry… is never an excuse.
I take pride in packing the heck out of it … it may not look pretty but they always arrive safe and sound

Well here's a no-no....don't combine Styrofoam and glue. I sold a gun I was so concerned about that I glued several thicknesses of rigid Styrofoam insulation board together to make a box. After waiting what I thought was a satisfactory amount of time for the glue to cure I cut the shapes of the separated gun parts into the Styrofoam halves so the parts fit snuggly, taped the halves together and mailed it. The glue migrated from between the Styrofoam boards in transit and got all over the stock.

Well here's a no-no....don't combine Styrofoam and glue. I sold a gun I was so concerned about that I glued several thicknesses of rigid Styrofoam insulation board together to make a box. After waiting what I thought was a satisfactory amount of time for the glue to cure I cut the shapes of the separated gun parts into the Styrofoam halves so the parts fit snuggly, taped the halves together and mailed it. The glue migrated from between the Styrofoam boards in transit and got all over the stock.
Oooh tough lesson

True story:
I bought 3 Dreamline barrels off AGN classifieds in February this year. UPS “delivered” - had the thick shipping tube broken open and massive black marks all over tube.

The UPS guy hands tube to me and starts walking away... I said "this is badly damaged " He says "Yeah, looks like it got caught in conveyor belt.” He took a picture and says “file a claim and you'll get full value”.

I am bummed - was really looking forward to the barrels. I pull three barrels out of tube without even having to open the tube - pulled through the gaping hole - tube is ripped at least 1/2 way around diameter...

... AGN seller packed them so well and had them all taped together. He then wrapped them in layer upon layer of shipping paper…

I kid you not, all 3 barrels were undamaged and are excellent shooters - despite UPS's best effort to destroy them.

After seeing this, I’d say that you can avoid a lot of issues if you pack the items really well.

IMG_3815.jpeg

I always try to pack things like they are going to be thrown around by the delivery company. Too much packing inside the inner box and outer box so that it almost bulges and so much tape that I need a good supply of be out of it all the time. There isn't anything wrong with over doing it when sending something nice to someone. no matter if you're giving it away or selling it.

True story:
I bought 3 Dreamline barrels off AGN classifieds in February this year. UPS “delivered” - had the thick shipping tube broken open and massive black marks all over tube.

The UPS guy hands tube to me and starts walking away... I said "this is badly damaged " He says "Yeah, looks like it got caught in conveyor belt.” He took a picture and says “file a claim and you'll get full value”.

I am bummed - was really looking forward to the barrels. I pull three barrels out of tube without even having to open the tube - pulled through the gaping hole - tube is ripped at least 1/2 way around diameter...

... AGN seller packed them so well and had them all taped together. He then wrapped them in layer upon layer of shipping paper…

I kid you not, all 3 barrels were undamaged and are excellent shooters - despite UPS's best effort to destroy them.

After seeing this, I’d say that you can avoid a lot of issues if you pack the items really well.

View attachment 478127
Good reply with a happy ending

I only sold and shipped one rifle , wrapped in bubble wrap (two layers ) then into it's hard case , then i driled holes along the edges of the rifle in the case and zip tied the gun into the case so it would not move . double boxed the case and everything arrived in like new condition .
That's above and Beyond! :love:

Reactions: beerthief
Great thread... I made the mistake of botching a packing job once... and unfortunately it was for an item that is unobtainable now and was sent to an individual I greatly admire and respect here.
He was disappointed, but cool about it... I immediately refunded all monies paid by him to me and let him keep the item. He has the skills to repair it if he chooses, but of course it will not be the same. That whole thing devastated me. I had always packed securely, but just thought this job was 'good enough' and I've made it my mission to pack gorilla proof ever since. I wont have that feeling of devastation ever again.