1st time buyer of PCP Airgun disappointed

Have used break barrels for a very longtime.
Decided I would go ahead and test the waters and buy the Hatsan Flash QE PCP air rifle .25 caliber.
Figured it was a small air tank purchased the hand pump and some ammo.
Only to find that it's not holding the air it's been a very unpleasant experience and has made me feel that these guns are not that great.
I've heard valve open needs a push of air from a tank ridiculous that is even necessary. This isn't a realistic way to get a new air gun working out of the box.
Sucks I really was happy about the purchase now it's going back. I'll stick with break barrels they actually work out of the box.

Wondering if anyone else has had same negative experience with these over priced guns? Funny reviewers praise these things because they have everything needed to set them up. For the average person these guns are quite terrible. Between the over priced junk hand pumps or buy a $2000 scuba tank to get them to work if they arrive with 0 pressure.

Sucks you had this experience right out of the gate. For whatever it’s worth, I own 7 pcps, have owned closer to 15 over the years, and never had an issue with a valve failing to seat on a new gun out of the box. The closest i had was with a Blitz i owned, which needed some hard pumping from a handpump to seat it before it had enough pressure to get it on the compressor. This is all to say that what happened with your Flash QE is not exactly typical. Still, seeing as it was your introduction to pcps, I understand it left a bad taste in your mouth.

If you do decide to give pcps another try, i suggest buying from a retailer that will test fire it and leak test it for you (i think pyramyd air will do this, as well as AoA and some other major retailers). This way you will 1) know the gun you’re getting is holding air and shooting correctly and 2) it will arrive with a bit of pressure in it so you won’t have to worry about seating valves and all that on your own.

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to AGN.

I'm not sure if the Hatsan has a floating type of valve, but these types of PCP's will need the poppet valve seated on the face of the valve body to initially seal from 0 psi, so this is part of normal ownership. There's a lot of good PCP's out there. If you want top shelf quality and accuracy out of the box, look at those built in the USA like the American Air Arms Evol rather than something offered as a kit in a retailer like BassPro or Cabela's.

Last edited:
Decided I would go ahead and test the waters and buy the Hatsan Flash QE PCP air rifle .25 caliber.
Only to find that it's not holding the air it's been a very unpleasant experience and has made me feel that these guns are not that great.
I've heard valve open needs a push of air from a tank ridiculous that is even necessary. This isn't a realistic way to get a new air gun working out of the box.
Sucks I really was happy about the purchase now it's going back. I'll stick with break barrels they actually work out of the box.

Wondering if anyone else has had same negative experience with these over priced guns? Funny reviewers praise these things because they have everything needed to set them up. For the average person these guns are quite terrible. Between the over priced junk hand pumps or buy a $2000 scuba tank to get them to work if they arrive with 0 pressure.

Bad experience with hatsan? Yes. Absolutely. One of the worst airgun manufacturers out there.

I do feel for your bad toe in the water.
I had a burger at Five Guys a while ago and it absolutely sucked. I could make a better burger after half a bottle of bourbon with a camping stove. This does not mean that I will never eat another burger.

After using break-barrels since childhood I got my first PCP perhaps twenty years ago. It was an Air Arms S400 superlight. Accidentally a great choice (I knew nothing, and didn’t have the resources like this forum to educate my choice before purchase).

If your wish is to make a single ragged hole in paper or prey then a PCP will flatter your shooting skills over a springer. I have NO wish to denigrate springer shooters - but if you have already invested in the bits you need to support a PCP then rather than being soured by your experience I would recommend getting a different rifle, perhaps a more quality make. Second hand from a trusted source will save your wallet and give you peace of mind that the bang-stick is a good’un.

The PCP technology is so different from spring piston guns, it's just barely the same hobby. Relatively speaking, PCP guns are very maintenence intensive. You have to be willing to spend a considerable amount of money, not only on the rifle, but all the support equipment required.

Got it holding to touching the green on pump gauge but gets really hard to push and goes into the red. Guessing not right? And gun gauge doesn't move at all.
What does it matter if it is bottom of barrel it's meant for people not sure of PCP and so far has shown that it's a suck ass technology.

yes.....
suck ass technology that i crush starlings out past 100yds with lol

maybe pcp just isnt your thing lol

Got it holding to touching the green on pump gauge but gets really hard to push and goes into the red. Guessing not right? And gun gauge doesn't move at all.
Pumps are hard when you hit high pressures.
Seriously fella - a decent tank is going to set you back only a few $ (in the UK perhaps 200) and as long as it is in test then a refill at the scuba shop should be the price of a decent coffee.

What you are struggling with is a crap rifle. Move it on and get something worth investing time in. Or better yet go back to Dick’s and ask for a refund as it doesn’t work.

Reactions: Bandito