Umarex 3rd Zelos has Issues. Anyone else having issues??

The Notos is also built by SPA but sold by Umarex. I haven't noticed any big complaints about them. I have 3 SPA guns I bought from Krale (who also offer the M60B with a 500cc aluminum bottle, I think the carbon fiber bottle from Airguns Archery Fun is more attractive). They all need the hammer spring and the trigger adjusted but they held air and have worked well. I suspect it is a new gun thing like Matt already suggested.

I bought a 25 caliber Avenger when they were still $300 - early gun. I got it from Midway because they were the only retailer I found with one at the time. It leaked when I got so I sent it back to Air Venturi. They had me pay the shipment to get it there which was about $40. I probably should have argued more. But it came back 5 weeks later fixed and it has not leaked since.

The air rifle I bought that needed the most repairs when I got it was a Caiman X which costs three times what my P35s cost. The regulator did not vent when I got it and it had been assembled improperly so it failed (it has a Huma). Utah Air wanted me to send it to them and offered to pay for it. But I just fixed it. I own it and that was my preference. They made the normal "void the warranty" comment but I don't care. It's fine now and shoots well.

SPA guns are not built like my Caiman but they are built better in my opinion than my Avenger. I doubt if the rate of issues stays high. But if I wanted one I definitely would be calling up Wes at Airgun Archery Fun. He was out of stock last I looked but that tells you something right there. I wonder if the clipping thing might be something in the way the barrel is supported. Or a really bad crown.

THIS is precisely why folks are giving up on the bargain market and going for higher end brands like FX, BRK, etc.
This is not to say one WON'T get a "lemon" but our chances are far less likely.
Is that actually true ?
I have bought quite a few bargain guns.and have no issues with leaking or accuracy in any of them.

So your mileage may vary

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
The Notos is also built by SPA but sold by Umarex. I haven't noticed any big complaints about them. I have 3 SPA guns I bought from Krale (who also offer the M60B with a 500cc aluminum bottle, I think the carbon fiber bottle from Airguns Archery Fun is more attractive). They all need the hammer spring and the trigger adjusted but they held air and have worked well. I suspect it is a new gun thing like Matt already suggested.

I bought a 25 caliber Avenger when they were still $300 - early gun. I got it from Midway because they were the only retailer I found with one at the time. It leaked when I got so I sent it back to Air Venturi. They had me pay the shipment to get it there which was about $40. I probably should have argued more. But it came back 5 weeks later fixed and it has not leaked since.

The air rifle I bought that needed the most repairs when I got it was a Caiman X which costs three times what my P35s cost. The regulator did not vent when I got it and it had been assembled improperly so it failed (it has a Huma). Utah Air wanted me to send it to them and offered to pay for it. But I just fixed it. I own it and that was my preference. They made the normal "void the warranty" comment but I don't care. It's fine now and shoots well.

SPA guns are not built like my Caiman but they are built better in my opinion than my Avenger. I doubt if the rate of issues stays high. But if I wanted one I definitely would be calling up Wes at Airgun Archery Fun. He was out of stock last I looked but that tells you something right there. I wonder if the clipping thing might be something in the way the barrel is supported. Or a really bad crown.
Wes seems like a solid guy. I think if I got another I’d call him and explain my previous situation. Probably get a little more care with the smaller shops.
I do think they look good with the bottle and the extra shots would be awesome. 40 shots go quick when you have 20 round mags.
The main reason I chose the tube version is the advertised weight. Everywhere said is was 6lb. Then PA had a fire 20 percent sale. Get the gun and it’s not 6lb. With just my scope it’s over 8 1/2 pounds. So I’m guessing it’s 7lb or a hair over. Might as well have that carbon bottle.

Thanks for the input. My SPA guns have been shooters.

Reactions: Rizz01
Umarex says the Zelos is 6.8 lbs.

The Rizz says that but truth be told, we hear the same stories about $3k guns as we do the Zelos.

My 2 M60B's have been solid, very happy with them.
Had I know they were same weight I would have maybe tried the bottle instead. PA and others were listing them at 6 pounds for some reason.
My situation is a bummer and happens I guess. I’m sure if there’s any issues they will come out.
I’m think I’m just cursed on the Zelos . Waited 3 months then got 3 duds. I’m not mad. Move on to something else.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Umarex says the Zelos is 6.8 lbs.

The Rizz says that but truth be told, we hear the same stories about $3k guns as we do the Zelos.

My 2 M60B's have been solid, very happy with them.
Evidently, you missed my previous posts.
I stated that no manufacturer is immune to a few "lemons" no matter how much their price tag. UX just has many more.
As far as the M60B goes. I think it's a fine rifle that shoots surprisingly well. I am still considering ordering one.

Reactions: Firewalker
Is that actually true ?
I have bought quite a few bargain guns.and have no issues with leaking or accuracy in any of them.

So your mileage may vary
I have purchased bargain guns that shot well too.
Recently purchased a Rainson Edge .25 and it was a horrible rifle. I hastily returned it and decided to step up in quality.
So, I bought something far better. No issues now. I just didn't feel like dealing with more disappointment.

Reactions: Perle
Soapy water on the fill port.
If it’s the same one as on the Snowpeak then it could be a little problem.
When done fill it like to be bleed quickly slow bleeding seems to give me a slow leak.
Thanks. I checked on my fill probe on my first. #3 I shot a bunch yesterday hoping it would seal. It leaked overnight so going to check port and gauges next.

Last edited:
Evidently, you missed my previous posts.
I stated that no manufacturer is immune to a few "lemons" no matter how much their price tag. UX just has many more.
As far as the M60B goes. I think it's a fine rifle that shoots surprisingly well. I am still considering ordering one.

"THIS is precisely why folks are giving up on the bargain market and going for higher end brands like FX, BRK, etc.

This is not to say one WON'T get a "lemon" but our chances are far less likely."

I read your post, I understood it, I don't agree with it.

$600.00 is by no means the bargain market, the Notos may be but at a third the cost.

$0.10 o-rings don't care if they are in a bargain gun or top shelf guns. I see more of the later than the former.

You have the patience of Job. If it were Me, it would be "Thank God and UPS you're gone! lol Good luck!
You know it's bad when instead of happy to see ups bringing your new toy , your happy to see them take it away ...🤤..lol

Understood, Sir....
Personally I don't feel that $600 is bargain territory either. I envision those as "middle of the road". Some manufacturers have dubbed them as bargain territory.
As far as repairs, they are all going to need "love" sooner or later.
Your point of view IS valid since you work on them all..

Agreed.

At least for me personally, I purchased a $2k gun after years of buying guns in the $100, $200, $300 range and now I'm buying $200.00 Notos and absolutely loving them!

Reactions: Rizz01 and Perle
Got my Zelos about a week ago and have put about 500 shots thru it with out any problem I didn't create myself. Right out of the box after zeroing the scope it shot 191 - 10X on the 30 yard challenge. When I fooled around and adjusted the trigger I got into a situation that required me to remove the barrel to dislodge a pellet....totally my fault. While adjusting the requlator and hammer spring I discovered that at 1800 psi on the regulator the hammer spring is too strong. The rifle still shoots great and I'm still fiddling with adjustment. So far no other complaints.