30-Yard Challenge

Shot these yesterday, thought I posted them? Anyway a couple 40yd targets and a 40yd masters. All scored as a masters card.
A little disappointing but the way it goes!View attachment 477514

Those 40 yard cards sure are not disappointing Joe… mid-190s at 40 are some of the best scores ever submitted at that distance!

I believe I’ve scored this correctly: 200-19x. Using a .22 caliber 22.07 JTS pellet and scored with a .224 scoring plug. 10s have to touch grey and Xs have to touch center dot.

View attachment 477356

View attachment 477357

Dave,

Looking at this card I’d have to say its absolutely one of the best cards ever submitted. Not only a 240 across all 24 targets with 19Xs, but shot at a rifle range in a wide open competition-style environment!

Awesome shooting,

-Ed

Wind

Leaderboard Submission:
Target: 40-Challenge
Rifle: FX PowerPup (500mm)
Ammo: JSB 20.83g MRDL
Velocity: 910fps
Scope: Sightron SII 36X (fixed power)
Magnification: 36x

I shot this card on July 3rd with 14mph winds gusting to 28mph. (!) Obviously, I waited out the gusts, lol. It took me much longer to shoot than a typical card. I was testing both the new 20.83 MRDLs in the wind and my own patience in waiting for the “right” time to take shots.

wind: I live high in the hills in Vernon. In the 4 years I have owned this home, I have NEVER seen a bicycle rider on our street – and there is no through traffic – so it would be a nice place to ride, but the hills are too steep. Because of being on a hill, I don’t get many still wind days. Even worse, because of the hill, the wind is always shifting – sometimes very quickly – even before the wind flags show that it shifted.

These are the holds that I used to shoot this 197 card. I’m really proud of this card because of the way I battled the wind. Another observation is that NO WAY I would have broken 190 in these conditions with the 18.13g at 40 yards. The 20.83g definitely are significantly better than the 18.13g in heavier wind. Definitely one of the best “windy” cards that I have ever shot – I even took a single sighter mid-card (!) because the shifting wind was confusing me. I shot a 192 40-Challenge after this 197 in the same conditions, by then the wind was too confusing and exhausting for me - my patience was shot.

So for those guys shooting out of their houses and garages and posting those awesome 200 scores… I dare ya to bring your rifle to my place, lol – double dare ya. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has posted a 196+ card at even 30 yards that had to hold on the 8-ring or further out during the card.

-EPG

View attachment 477590
Hey Ed,

Are you using wind flags and if so, how many between you and target?

Wind

Leaderboard Submission:
Target: 40-Challenge
Rifle: FX PowerPup (500mm)
Ammo: JSB 20.83g MRDL
Velocity: 910fps
Scope: Sightron SII 36X (fixed power)
Magnification: 36x

I shot this card on July 3rd with 14mph winds gusting to 28mph. (!) Obviously, I waited out the gusts, lol. It took me much longer to shoot than a typical card. I was testing both the new 20.83 MRDLs in the wind and my own patience in waiting for the “right” time to take shots.

wind: I live high in the hills in Vernon. In the 4 years I have owned this home, I have NEVER seen a bicycle rider on our street – and there is no through traffic – so it would be a nice place to ride, but the hills are too steep. Because of being on a hill, I don’t get many still wind days. Even worse, because of the hill, the wind is always shifting – sometimes very quickly – even before the wind flags show that it shifted.

These are the holds that I used to shoot this 197 card. I’m really proud of this card because of the way I battled the wind. Another observation is that NO WAY I would have broken 190 in these conditions with the 18.13g at 40 yards. The 20.83g definitely are significantly better than the 18.13g in heavier wind. Definitely one of the best “windy” cards that I have ever shot – I even took a single sighter mid-card (!) because the shifting wind was confusing me. I shot a 192 40-Challenge after this 197 in the same conditions, by then the wind was too confusing and exhausting for me - my patience was shot.

So for those guys shooting out of their houses and garages and posting those awesome 200 scores… I dare ya to bring your rifle to my place, lol – double dare ya. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has posted a 196+ card at even 30 yards that had to hold on the 8-ring or further out during the card.

-EPG

View attachment 477590
I shoot the fx 25.4 at 100 yards. Sub moa. But at 50 yards I shoot them faster, about 988. In windy conditions, they get there faster,less time to drift. If it's always windy there I would try the 24.5 pellets. Nice card by the way.

Scotty,

What are your thoughts on that Saber Tactical stock on your Crown?

I’ve thought about one for my Crown, is it heavier than the laminate stock? (Heavier is better for me). Also, is there any flex/play where the butt piece folds?

Thanks,

Ed
I have a nice one that's collecting dust. No reasonable offer will be refused. Something to think about.

Scotty,

What are your thoughts on that Saber Tactical stock on your Crown?

I’ve thought about one for my Crown, is it heavier than the laminate stock? (Heavier is better for me). Also, is there any flex/play where the butt piece folds?

Thanks,

Ed
Ed,

The lockup on the stock is rock solid, but I do have a small piece of packing tape in the joint as a shim. The stock is definitely heavier than the walnut stock, and you can add m-lock weights to the sides. The long bottom rail is nice, arca ending in a short pic rail, and the butt pad works great for me, and kinda hangs from my shoulder. Mine is the gen 1 version, I’m not sure what has been changed on the new version.

I just looked, I prefer the 1st gen.

Last edited:
Today took my AirMaks KRAiT L and sent some JSB Beast 16.20gr .177 pellets down range. KRAiT is tuned to shoot 13gr ZAN slugs and with the same tune JSB KO 13.43gr slugs. But it shot Beasts as well.

Not so high score. It's more due to hold of the gun and heavier trigger than my Vulcan 3. Also KRAiT is considerably lighter than Vulcan, so it "jumps" when fired. Need to shoot more with my KRAiT.
And it started raining from group 5 and on.
At least opened score with it.

Target: 30-yard Challenge
Rifle: AirMaks Arms KRAiT L .177cal.
Ammo: JSB Beast 16.20gr .177cal.
Velocity: 866fps
Scope: Vector Optics Veyron 4-16x44 FFP
Magnification: 16x

IMG_8837.JPEG

IMG_8829.JPEG

One bird bombed me while shooting, shooting table and scope ring took a hit.

IMG_8834.JPEG

After shooting my card, my son wanted to plink a bit. To get in position He needed raiser - 6" by 6" under Him.

IMG_8835.JPEG

Next in line is my Dreamline GRS.
I have one question - is it OK if I shoot card with my Dreamline with 20gr ZAN slugs? I really don't want to de-tune it for lighter pellets.

Today took my AirMaks KRAiT L and sent some JSB Beast 16.20gr .177 pellets down range. KRAiT is tuned to shoot 13gr ZAN slugs and with the same tune JSB KO 13.43gr slugs. But it shot Beasts as well.

Not so high score. It's more due to hold of the gun and heavier trigger than my Vulcan 3. Also KRAiT is considerably lighter than Vulcan, so it "jumps" when fired. Need to shoot more with my KRAiT.
And it started raining from group 5 and on.
At least opened score with it.

Target: 30-yard Challenge
Rifle: AirMaks Arms KRAiT L .177cal.
Ammo: JSB Beast 16.20gr .177cal.
Velocity: 866fps
Scope: Vector Optics Veyron 4-16x44 FFP
Magnification: 16x

View attachment 477681

View attachment 477682

One bird bombed me while shooting, shooting table and scope ring took a hit.

View attachment 477685

After shooting my card, my son wanted to plink a bit. To get in position He needed raiser - 6" by 6" under Him.

View attachment 477683

Next in line is my Dreamline GRS.
I have one question - is it OK if I shoot card with my Dreamline with 20gr ZAN slugs? I really don't want to de-tune it for lighter pellets.
Sure thing Loff, we’ll put the Dreamline on the leaderboard using slugs 👍🏻

-Ed

Shot this card Saturday at our club PSA in Palmyra PA winds were switching
and unpredictable ranging from 5 to 12 miles an hour.

I used a Raw BM 500 with a Benchmark barrel. It is a sub-12-ft lb. rifle shooting JSB 10.34 pellets at 715 fps, scope was a Sightron ED 45x45, I was shooting on an Ahrens 1 Piece rest. Plug used was a .177 shank with a .223 rim.
IMG_20240707_063708.jpg

Last edited:
I might have to try some of those 20.83s. My Caiman doesn't like other JSB pellets very much including the 25 grain but it might like those. I agree that 18s move a lot in the wind (it prefers H&N 18s but I suspect wind drift is similar). I sometimes start a card in the wind but seldom finish it. Just too frustrating to shoot a few Xs in a row and then an 8 because the wind shifted unexpectedly. 177 is worse, of course. Even big 33.95s in 25 are difficult for me to shoot in wind.

I am blessed to live where I get still air sometimes. It is still right now but we are headed out to church soon. Early mornings are best in the summer.

Reactions: tommyb

I used a Raw BM 500 with a Benchmark barrel. It is a sub-12-ft lb. rifle shooting JSB 10.34 pellets at 715 fps, scope was a Sightron ED 45x45, I was shooting on an Ahrens 1 Piece rest. Plug used was a .177 shank with a .223 rim.
View attachment 478092

Awesome card Rod!

199 17X with 12 ft/lbs using 10.3g at a gun club range with wind - wow - that RAW BM is performing- vertical is stellar.

To shoot this card, what was your furthest hold point that you recall?

-Ed

View attachment 478092
nice shooting in the wind .

I might have to try some of those 20.83s. My Caiman doesn't like other JSB pellets very much including the 25 grain but it might like those. I agree that 18s move a lot in the wind (it prefers H&N 18s but I suspect wind drift is similar). I sometimes start a card in the wind but seldom finish it. Just too frustrating to shoot a few Xs in a row and then an 8 because the wind shifted unexpectedly. 177 is worse, of course. Even big 33.95s in 25 are difficult for me to shoot in wind.

I am blessed to live where I get still air sometimes. It is still right now but we are headed out to church soon. Early mornings are best in the summer.

Jim, I know just how you feel.

There are times when I start a card, miss a couple of wind calls early on; and I used to stop. Now, I use it to practice my wind holds and just forget about scoring that card. It actually helps me because if I can figure out a hold that can get me a bunch of ten’s, it’s worth it to ‘learn’ from I figure.

So I shot two cards today. The wind was quite difficult. It wasn't quite as much wind as yesterday but it was really switching back and forth I made a mistake on the one I have the x marked as no as the one Target I threw out. The big heavy red x is the one I threw outView attachment 478155View attachment 478156

Awesome cards!

The 10.3g is a great pellet, but I never tried them as low as 715fps. Its great to have your RAW BM .177 on the leaderboard as it shows what can be achieved at a modest (by USA standards) velocity.